Re: [LinkStation_General] Help with LS2 HTTP server

  • James Ronald
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 7, 2005
      Take a look to see if you have a /etc/hosts.deny and /etc/hosts.allow. If so
      they may need to be updated.

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 7, 2005
        Thanks. I'll check into those when I get back home this evening.

        I didn't set up any specific .deny or .allow files, but perhaps the
        defaults are causing trouble -- or maybe adding a .allow will help.
        Checked the router settings a hundred times though... hit it about a
        hundred more times too. :) I'll double check the gateway setting but
        I'm almost positive it is set, but it has been so long it may have
        mystically removed itself (stranger things have happened).

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 7, 2005
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Nick Pappas <nwpappas@g...> wrote:

            You need the following for a web server, accessible from the web, on port 81, AFAIK:

            - an ISP not blocking the port
            - a router w/ NAT setup, directing port 81 to your server's IP address
            - the router's firewall must not be blocking port 81/tcp incoming/outgoing
            - the web interface of the router must not be using port 81
            - your /etc/host.{allow,deny} must open enough (or just deleted)
            - the web server serving on port 81
            - probably also add port 81 to /etc/services and reboot

            and last not least, a router firmware w/o bugs. Spent hours and hours w/ a correctly set up
            Zyxel Prestige 660HW-67 until I finally upgraded the firmware... :(

            -Andre
          • Nick Pappas
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 7, 2005
              Thanks Andre.

              I'm pretty sure it's something creeping around in my LS2, since I had
              a working server on my old (big, clunky, ugly, load) server and it
              worked fine. I'll check the file .allow/.deny and services files when
              I get home tonight!