Re: Help with LS2 HTTP server

  • yanfrikin
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 7, 2005
      I would rather say that the problem is in your network.
      does you LS have a dhcp or static IP? Check your default gateway
      settings on the LS and router configuration.

      other reason can be that your external IP has been changed in between
      and dyndns record was not yet updated.

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Nick Pappas
      <nwpappas@g...> wrote:

      > Hello all.
      >
      > This is actually a little off topic, but hopefully someone can help.
      > I have a LS2 with the telnet enabled firmware installed, and have
      > installed lighttpd and subversion (amoung a few other things).
      >
      > I can access my HTTP server via my internal IP address (though port
      > 81) and, if I have port 81 forwarded on my router, I can type in my
      > dyndns.org address and get my page. But, as soon as I attempt to
      > access the page from outside my home network it fails. If the port is
      > closed, the connection is outright refused. If it is open, the
      > connection times out -- which makes me think that the problem is
      > actually in the LinkStation.
      >
      > Anyone have any suggestions on why my LS2 might be refusing traffic
      > coming from outside my internal network and how I can fix it?
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > --
      > Whatever you do - don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate
      > yourself either.
      > Your choices are half chance, and so are everybody else's.

    • James Ronald
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 7, 2005
        Take a look to see if you have a /etc/hosts.deny and /etc/hosts.allow. If so
        they may need to be updated.

        > This is actually a little off topic, but hopefully someone can help.
        > I have a LS2 with the telnet enabled firmware installed, and have
        > installed lighttpd and subversion (amoung a few other things).
        >
        > I can access my HTTP server via my internal IP address (though port
        > 81) and, if I have port 81 forwarded on my router, I can type in my
        > dyndns.org address and get my page. But, as soon as I attempt to
        > access the page from outside my home network it fails. If the port is
        > closed, the connection is outright refused. If it is open, the
        > connection times out -- which makes me think that the problem is
        > actually in the LinkStation.
        >
        > Anyone have any suggestions on why my LS2 might be refusing traffic
        > coming from outside my internal network and how I can fix it?
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > --
        > Whatever you do - don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate
        > yourself either.
        > Your choices are half chance, and so are everybody else's.

      • Nick Pappas
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 7, 2005
          Thanks. I'll check into those when I get back home this evening.

          I didn't set up any specific .deny or .allow files, but perhaps the
          defaults are causing trouble -- or maybe adding a .allow will help.
          Checked the router settings a hundred times though... hit it about a
          hundred more times too. :) I'll double check the gateway setting but
          I'm almost positive it is set, but it has been so long it may have
          mystically removed itself (stranger things have happened).

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 7, 2005
              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Nick Pappas <nwpappas@g...> wrote:

              You need the following for a web server, accessible from the web, on port 81, AFAIK:

              - an ISP not blocking the port
              - a router w/ NAT setup, directing port 81 to your server's IP address
              - the router's firewall must not be blocking port 81/tcp incoming/outgoing
              - the web interface of the router must not be using port 81
              - your /etc/host.{allow,deny} must open enough (or just deleted)
              - the web server serving on port 81
              - probably also add port 81 to /etc/services and reboot

              and last not least, a router firmware w/o bugs. Spent hours and hours w/ a correctly set up
              Zyxel Prestige 660HW-67 until I finally upgraded the firmware... :(

              -Andre
            • Nick Pappas
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 7, 2005
                Thanks Andre.

                I'm pretty sure it's something creeping around in my LS2, since I had
                a working server on my old (big, clunky, ugly, load) server and it
                worked fine. I'll check the file .allow/.deny and services files when
                I get home tonight!