Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: Set time on LinkStation

  • James S Stubbs
    Message 1 of 26 , Dec 1, 2004
      irvine_stock wrote:

      > Hi Dan,
      > Yes that is it. I am in California (-8). I checked again and that
      > still seems to have worked on both my Kuro box and Linkstation
      > V1.44. I have not found out why yet but both of the clocks are
      > right on time now. As I dig through the init code I will probably
      > find out why it matters.
      > Run "Cat -A timezone" just to see if you have a control-M at the end.
      > I used the echo to file to avoid the problem.
      > Remember, if it works you get to write an essay on it and post it in
      > the how to section. :-)
      >
      > Rich
      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dbossler1" <zanbo@c...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > I didn't have a file /etc/timezone
      > > I created one putting in exactly one line:
      > > "timezone=-7"
      > >

      > > (without the quotes)
      > > Is that what you meant?
      > >
      > > ... Dan
      > > PS i live in Arizona.
      > >
      > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "irvine_stock"
      > > <r_obermeyer@p...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I remember the fix of the NTP.
      > > > My clock was always off by hours a week. If I scheduled backup
      > on
      > > > the week ends it may not ever happen.
      > > > The file /etc/timezone has a japanese timezone "export TZ=JST-9"
      > in
      > > > it. I changed it to match something in the code that was
      > looking
      > > > for a different line. Somebody else saw the same thing.
      > > > I put "timezone=-8" in the file and then it started keeping time.
      > > > Now a week later it is still correct. If you don't have that
      > file
      > > > make one.
      > > > If it works for you then document it and put it in the how to
      > files
      > > > section. Everybody will continue to ask the same question.
      > > >
      > > > Rich
      > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Kristol"

      > > > <zanbo@c...>

      > suppose to

      > in a
      > > > post
      > work. I
      > > > gather
      > > > files to

      > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
      > click here
      > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129mv6dko/M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=groups/S=1705004750:HM/EXP=1101967110/A=2434971/R=0/SIG=11eeoolb0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185400>

      Hi ,

      My time zone is GMT - London

      I created a file /etc/timezone and just put in timezone=0

      root@LINKSTATION:/etc# cat -A timezone
      $
      $
      timezone=0$
      $
      root@LINKSTATION:/etc#

      Would this be correct?

      Best wishes.

      James.
    • dbossler1
      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 1, 2004
        No ^M
        root@JUPITER:~# cat -A /etc/timezone
        timezone=-7$

        But it didn't work either.

        I still gained 3 minutes in one day
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, James S Stubbs
        <stubbsjuk@y...> wrote:
        > irvine_stock wrote:
        >

        > > Hi Dan,
        > > Yes that is it. I am in California (-8). I checked again and that
        > > still seems to have worked on both my Kuro box and Linkstation
        > > V1.44. I have not found out why yet but both of the clocks are
        > > right on time now. As I dig through the init code I will probably
        > > find out why it matters.
        > > Run "Cat -A timezone" just to see if you have a control-M at the end.
        > > I used the echo to file to avoid the problem.
        > > Remember, if it works you get to write an essay on it and post it in
        > > the how to section. :-)
        > >
        > > Rich
        > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dbossler1" <zanbo@c...>
        > > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I didn't have a file /etc/timezone
        > > > I created one putting in exactly one line:
        > > > "timezone=-7"
        > > >

        > > > (without the quotes)
        > > > Is that what you meant?
        > > >
        > > > ... Dan
        > > > PS i live in Arizona.
        > > >
        > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "irvine_stock"

        > > on
        > > in
        > > looking
        > > file
        > > files

        > > suppose to

        > > in a
        > > work. I

        > > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
        > > click here

        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129mv6dko/M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=groups/S=1705004750:HM/EXP=1101967110/A=2434971/R=0/SIG=11eeoolb0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185400>

        > Hi ,
        >
        > My time zone is GMT - London
        >
        > I created a file /etc/timezone and just put in timezone=0
        >
        > root@LINKSTATION:/etc# cat -A timezone
        > $
        > $
        > timezone=0$
        > $
        > root@LINKSTATION:/etc#
        >
        > Would this be correct?
        >
        > Best wishes.
        >

        > James.
      • irvine_stock
        Message 3 of 26 , Dec 1, 2004
          I know that is all I changed.
          I will see what else I run into. Sorry.
          Anybody else fix this some other way?

          wrote:

          > No ^M
          > root@JUPITER:~# cat -A /etc/timezone
          > timezone=-7$
          >
          > But it didn't work either.
          >
          > I still gained 3 minutes in one day
          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, James S Stubbs
          > <stubbsjuk@y...> wrote:
          > > irvine_stock wrote:
          > >

          > > > Hi Dan,
          > > > Yes that is it. I am in California (-8). I checked again and
          that
          > > > still seems to have worked on both my Kuro box and Linkstation
          > > > V1.44. I have not found out why yet but both of the clocks are
          > > > right on time now. As I dig through the init code I will
          probably
          > > > find out why it matters.
          > > > Run "Cat -A timezone" just to see if you have a control-M at
          the end.
          > > > I used the echo to file to avoid the problem.
          > > > Remember, if it works you get to write an essay on it and post
          it in
          > > > the how to section. :-)
          > > >
          > > > Rich
          > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dbossler1"
          <zanbo@c...>

          > > > on
          TZ=JST-9"
          > > > in
          > > > looking
          > > > file
          > > > files

          Kristol"

          > > > suppose to

          Stewart,
          > > > in a
          > > > work. I

          > > > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
          > > > click here

          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129mv6dko/M=298184.5639630.6699735.30011
          76/D=groups/S=1705004750:HM/EXP=1101967110/A=2434971/R=0/SIG=11eeoolb
          0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185400>

          subject=Unsubscribe>

          > > > * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
          of

          > > Hi ,
          > >
          > > My time zone is GMT - London
          > >
          > > I created a file /etc/timezone and just put in timezone=0
          > >
          > > root@LINKSTATION:/etc# cat -A timezone
          > > $
          > > $
          > > timezone=0$
          > > $
          > > root@LINKSTATION:/etc#
          > >
          > > Would this be correct?
          > >
          > > Best wishes.
          > >

          > > James.
        • Iain Stevenson
          Message 4 of 26 , Dec 2, 2004
            --On Wednesday, December 1, 2004 8:38 pm +0000 James S Stubbs
            <stubbsjuk@...> wrote:

            > irvine_stock wrote:
            >

            >> Hi Dan,
            >> Yes that is it. I am in California (-8). I checked again and that
            >> still seems to have worked on both my Kuro box and Linkstation
            >> V1.44. I have not found out why yet but both of the clocks are
            >> right on time now. As I dig through the init code I will probably
            >> find out why it matters.
            >> Run "Cat -A timezone" just to see if you have a control-M at the end.
            >> I used the echo to file to avoid the problem.
            >> Remember, if it works you get to write an essay on it and post it in
            >> the how to section. :-)
            >>
            >> Rich
            >> --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dbossler1" <zanbo@c...>
            >> wrote:
            >> >
            >> > I didn't have a file /etc/timezone
            >> > I created one putting in exactly one line:
            >> > "timezone=-7"
            >> >

            >> > (without the quotes)
            >> > Is that what you meant?
            >> >
            >> > ... Dan
            >> > PS i live in Arizona.
            >> >
            >> > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "irvine_stock"

            >> on
            >> in
            >> looking
            >> file
            >> files

            >> suppose to

            >> in a
            >> work. I

            >> *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
            >> click here
            >> <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129mv6dko/M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/
            >> D=groups/S=1705004750:HM/EXP=1101967110/A=2434971/R=0/SIG=11eeoolb0/*htt
            >> p://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185400>

            >> subscribe>

            > Hi ,
            >
            > My time zone is GMT - London
            >
            > I created a file /etc/timezone and just put in timezone=0
            >
            > root@LINKSTATION:/etc# cat -A timezone
            > $
            > $
            > timezone=0$
            > $
            > root@LINKSTATION:/etc#
            >
            > Would this be correct?
            >
            > Best wishes.
            >

            > James.

            Well, it seems as though the LinkStation synchronises (or should
            synchronise) its RTC and the System time daily using the script
            /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh. Running that from the command line sets the
            time right - but then it drifts again for reasons I don't understand yet.
            If that calib_time.sh script is running correctly from cron then the time
            should be about right every morning at least! There is a file
            /etc/melco/info which has a variable "timezone" that needs to be your local
            timezone.

            Iain
          • dbossler1
            Message 5 of 26 , Dec 2, 2004
              another day... another 3 minutes.

              Something else is wrong. Any ideas?
              wrote:

              > No ^M
              > root@JUPITER:~# cat -A /etc/timezone
              > timezone=-7$
              >
              > But it didn't work either.
              >
              > I still gained 3 minutes in one day
              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, James S Stubbs
              > <stubbsjuk@y...> wrote:
              > > irvine_stock wrote:
              > >

              > > > Hi Dan,
              > > > Yes that is it. I am in California (-8). I checked again and that
              > > > still seems to have worked on both my Kuro box and Linkstation
              > > > V1.44. I have not found out why yet but both of the clocks are
              > > > right on time now. As I dig through the init code I will probably
              > > > find out why it matters.
              > > > Run "Cat -A timezone" just to see if you have a control-M at the
              end.
              > > > I used the echo to file to avoid the problem.
              > > > Remember, if it works you get to write an essay on it and post it in
              > > > the how to section. :-)

            • sjungels
              Message 6 of 26 , Dec 3, 2004
                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Iain Stevenson <iain@i...>
                wrote:

                > Well, it seems as though the LinkStation synchronises (or should
                > synchronise) its RTC and the System time daily using the script
                > /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh. Running that from the command line sets the
                > time right - but then it drifts again for reasons I don't understand
                yet.
                > If that calib_time.sh script is running correctly from cron then the
                time
                > should be about right every morning at least! There is a file
                > /etc/melco/info which has a variable "timezone" that needs to be
                your local
                > timezone.
                >
                > Iain

                This gave me an idea: since calib_time.sh sets the time correctly,
                maybe there is nothing wrong with the linkstation real time clock and
                no need for ntp. What I have done now is set calib_time.sh to run
                every hour instead of once a day, and it seems to be working. What
                happens is that the time drifts about 20 seconds every hour, and then
                calib_time.sh is called and it resets to the correct time.

                If you want to try this, change your /etc/crontab to the following:

                ---- snip ----
                SHELL=/bin/bash
                PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
                MAILTO=
                HOME=/

                02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
                05 * * * * root /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh
                ----snip ----

                If the real time clock holds up for me, I will conclude that syncing
                with ntp once a day is overkill, bypass the web interface, and set up
                by hand to call it once a week.
              • Rick Flower
                Message 7 of 26 , Dec 3, 2004
                  Also keep in mind that IF you setup a mail server to redirect emails from
                  "root", you'll get these nice little emails every time that cron job fires
                  off telling you exactly what happened.. I get those once a day forwarded
                  to my account....

                  -- Rick

                  On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, sjungels wrote:

                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Iain Stevenson <iain@i...>
                  > wrote:
                  >

                  >> Well, it seems as though the LinkStation synchronises (or should
                  >> synchronise) its RTC and the System time daily using the script
                  >> /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh. Running that from the command line sets the
                  >> time right - but then it drifts again for reasons I don't understand
                  > yet.
                  >> If that calib_time.sh script is running correctly from cron then the
                  > time
                  >> should be about right every morning at least! There is a file
                  >> /etc/melco/info which has a variable "timezone" that needs to be
                  > your local
                  >> timezone.
                  >>
                  >> Iain
                  >
                  > This gave me an idea: since calib_time.sh sets the time correctly,
                  > maybe there is nothing wrong with the linkstation real time clock and
                  > no need for ntp. What I have done now is set calib_time.sh to run
                  > every hour instead of once a day, and it seems to be working. What
                  > happens is that the time drifts about 20 seconds every hour, and then
                  > calib_time.sh is called and it resets to the correct time.
                  >
                  > If you want to try this, change your /etc/crontab to the following:
                  >
                  > ---- snip ----
                  > SHELL=/bin/bash
                  > PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
                  > MAILTO=
                  > HOME=/
                  >
                  > 02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
                  > 05 * * * * root /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh
                  > ----snip ----
                  >
                  > If the real time clock holds up for me, I will conclude that syncing
                  > with ntp once a day is overkill, bypass the web interface, and set up
                  > by hand to call it once a week.
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • sjungels
                  Message 8 of 26 , Dec 3, 2004
                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Rick Flower <rickf@c...>
                    wrote:
                    > Also keep in mind that IF you setup a mail server to redirect emails
                    from
                    > "root", you'll get these nice little emails every time that cron job
                    fires
                    > off telling you exactly what happened.. I get those once a day
                    forwarded
                    > to my account....
                    >
                    > -- Rick

                    Even once a day must get pretty annoying. Try changing
                    /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh
                    /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh >/dev/null 2>&1

                    --Stephen

                    > On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, sjungels wrote:
                    >

                    > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Iain Stevenson <iain@i...>
                    > > wrote:
                    > >

                    > >> Well, it seems as though the LinkStation synchronises (or should
                    > >> synchronise) its RTC and the System time daily using the script
                    > >> /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh. Running that from the command line
                    sets the
                    > >> time right - but then it drifts again for reasons I don't understand
                    > > yet.
                    > >> If that calib_time.sh script is running correctly from cron then the
                    > > time
                    > >> should be about right every morning at least! There is a file
                    > >> /etc/melco/info which has a variable "timezone" that needs to be
                    > > your local
                    > >> timezone.
                    > >>
                    > >> Iain
                    > >
                    > > This gave me an idea: since calib_time.sh sets the time correctly,
                    > > maybe there is nothing wrong with the linkstation real time clock and
                    > > no need for ntp. What I have done now is set calib_time.sh to run
                    > > every hour instead of once a day, and it seems to be working. What
                    > > happens is that the time drifts about 20 seconds every hour, and then
                    > > calib_time.sh is called and it resets to the correct time.
                    > >
                    > > If you want to try this, change your /etc/crontab to the following:
                    > >
                    > > ---- snip ----
                    > > SHELL=/bin/bash
                    > > PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
                    > > MAILTO=
                    > > HOME=/
                    > >
                    > > 02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
                    > > 05 * * * * root /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh
                    > > ----snip ----
                    > >
                    > > If the real time clock holds up for me, I will conclude that syncing
                    > > with ntp once a day is overkill, bypass the web interface, and set up
                    > > by hand to call it once a week.
                    > >

                    > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Rick Flower
                    Message 9 of 26 , Dec 3, 2004
                      Yeah, I knew that, but haven't done it yet.. (8->

                      -- Rick

                      On Dec 3, 2004, at 4:59 PM, sjungels wrote:

                      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Rick Flower <rickf@c...>
                      > wrote:
                      >> Also keep in mind that IF you setup a mail server to redirect emails
                      > from
                      >> "root", you'll get these nice little emails every time that cron job
                      > fires
                      >> off telling you exactly what happened.. I get those once a day
                      > forwarded
                      >> to my account....
                      >>
                      >> -- Rick
                      >>

                      > Even once a day must get pretty annoying. Try changing
                      > /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh
                      > /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh >/dev/null 2>&1
                      >
                      > --Stephen
                      >

                      >> On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, sjungels wrote:
                      >>

                      >>> --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Iain Stevenson
                      >>> <iain@i...>

                      > sets the
                      >>> yet.
                      >>> time
                      >>> your local

                      >>> This gave me an idea: since calib_time.sh sets the time correctly,
                      >>> maybe there is nothing wrong with the linkstation real time clock and
                      >>> no need for ntp. What I have done now is set calib_time.sh to run
                      >>> every hour instead of once a day, and it seems to be working. What
                      >>> happens is that the time drifts about 20 seconds every hour, and then
                      >>> calib_time.sh is called and it resets to the correct time.
                      >>>
                      >>> If you want to try this, change your /etc/crontab to the following:
                      >>>
                      >>> ---- snip ----
                      >>> SHELL=/bin/bash
                      >>> PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
                      >>> MAILTO=
                      >>> HOME=/
                      >>>
                      >>> 02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
                      >>> 05 * * * * root /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh
                      >>> ----snip ----
                      >>>
                      >>> If the real time clock holds up for me, I will conclude that syncing
                      >>> with ntp once a day is overkill, bypass the web interface, and set up
                      >>> by hand to call it once a week.
                      >>>

                      >>> Yahoo! Groups Links

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • dbossler1
                      Message 10 of 26 , Dec 5, 2004
                        Hey Stephan,
                        The LS has two clocks?! (Reminds me of the joke, a man with one watch
                        knows what time it is, a man with two watches is never sure)

                        Anyway, this fix seems to be working for me. Thanks for the tip. I
                        will continue to monitor. So is the ntp script suppose to update
                        system time, or the RTC?

                        ... Dan

                        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "sjungels" <stephen@j...>
                        wrote:

                        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Iain Stevenson <iain@i...>
                        > wrote:
                        >

                        > > Well, it seems as though the LinkStation synchronises (or should
                        > > synchronise) its RTC and the System time daily using the script
                        > > /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh. Running that from the command line
                        sets the
                        > > time right - but then it drifts again for reasons I don't understand
                        > yet.
                        > > If that calib_time.sh script is running correctly from cron then the
                        > time
                        > > should be about right every morning at least! There is a file
                        > > /etc/melco/info which has a variable "timezone" that needs to be
                        > your local
                        > > timezone.
                        > >
                        > > Iain
                        >
                        > This gave me an idea: since calib_time.sh sets the time correctly,
                        > maybe there is nothing wrong with the linkstation real time clock and
                        > no need for ntp. What I have done now is set calib_time.sh to run
                        > every hour instead of once a day, and it seems to be working. What
                        > happens is that the time drifts about 20 seconds every hour, and then
                        > calib_time.sh is called and it resets to the correct time.
                        >
                        > If you want to try this, change your /etc/crontab to the following:
                        >
                        > ---- snip ----
                        > SHELL=/bin/bash
                        > PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
                        > MAILTO=
                        > HOME=/
                        >
                        > 02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
                        > 05 * * * * root /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh
                        > ----snip ----
                        >
                        > If the real time clock holds up for me, I will conclude that syncing
                        > with ntp once a day is overkill, bypass the web interface, and set up
                        > by hand to call it once a week.
                      • sjungels
                        Message 11 of 26 , Dec 5, 2004
                          You're welcome. I think ntpdate updates the RTC, but I'm not
                          absolutely certain. My RTC has the correct time, which suggests it is
                          being set by NTP, but maybe it's just a very accurate clock.

                          Be warned that this is not a perfect solution. It creates a
                          discontinuity every hour when the time is set. If you have a cron job
                          scheduled at about that time, it might get run twice or not at all. I
                          haven't come up with anything better, though.

                          -- Stephen

                          wrote:

                          > Hey Stephan,
                          > The LS has two clocks?! (Reminds me of the joke, a man with one watch
                          > knows what time it is, a man with two watches is never sure)
                          >
                          > Anyway, this fix seems to be working for me. Thanks for the tip. I
                          > will continue to monitor. So is the ntp script suppose to update
                          > system time, or the RTC?
                          >
                          > ... Dan
                          >
                          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "sjungels" <stephen@j...>
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Iain Stevenson <iain@i...>
                          > > wrote:
                          > >

                          > > > Well, it seems as though the LinkStation synchronises (or should
                          > > > synchronise) its RTC and the System time daily using the script
                          > > > /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh. Running that from the command line
                          > sets the
                          > > > time right - but then it drifts again for reasons I don't understand
                          > > yet.
                          > > > If that calib_time.sh script is running correctly from cron then the
                          > > time
                          > > > should be about right every morning at least! There is a file
                          > > > /etc/melco/info which has a variable "timezone" that needs to be
                          > > your local
                          > > > timezone.
                          > > >
                          > > > Iain
                          > >
                          > > This gave me an idea: since calib_time.sh sets the time correctly,
                          > > maybe there is nothing wrong with the linkstation real time clock and
                          > > no need for ntp. What I have done now is set calib_time.sh to run
                          > > every hour instead of once a day, and it seems to be working. What
                          > > happens is that the time drifts about 20 seconds every hour, and then
                          > > calib_time.sh is called and it resets to the correct time.
                          > >
                          > > If you want to try this, change your /etc/crontab to the following:
                          > >
                          > > ---- snip ----
                          > > SHELL=/bin/bash
                          > > PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
                          > > MAILTO=
                          > > HOME=/
                          > >
                          > > 02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
                          > > 05 * * * * root /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh
                          > > ----snip ----
                          > >
                          > > If the real time clock holds up for me, I will conclude that syncing
                          > > with ntp once a day is overkill, bypass the web interface, and set up
                          > > by hand to call it once a week.
                        • dbossler1
                          Message 12 of 26 , Dec 5, 2004
                            how do I tell what the RTC time is?

                            wrote:

                            > You're welcome. I think ntpdate updates the RTC, but I'm not
                            > absolutely certain. My RTC has the correct time, which suggests it is
                            > being set by NTP, but maybe it's just a very accurate clock.
                            >
                            > Be warned that this is not a perfect solution. It creates a
                            > discontinuity every hour when the time is set. If you have a cron job
                            > scheduled at about that time, it might get run twice or not at all. I
                            > haven't come up with anything better, though.
                            >
                            > -- Stephen
                          • sjungels
                            Message 13 of 26 , Dec 5, 2004
                              Right after /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh is run (once an hour if you
                              changed your crontab), the RTC and the system time will be the same.
                              Then you can read the system time simply by typing "date" (but you
                              probably knew that).

                              wrote:

                              > how do I tell what the RTC time is?
                              >
                              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "sjungels" <stephen@j...>
                              > wrote:
                              > >
                              > > You're welcome. I think ntpdate updates the RTC, but I'm not
                              > > absolutely certain. My RTC has the correct time, which suggests it is
                              > > being set by NTP, but maybe it's just a very accurate clock.
                              > >
                              > > Be warned that this is not a perfect solution. It creates a
                              > > discontinuity every hour when the time is set. If you have a cron job
                              > > scheduled at about that time, it might get run twice or not at all. I
                              > > haven't come up with anything better, though.
                              > >
                              > > -- Stephen
                            • Sal D'Anna
                              Message 14 of 26 , Dec 5, 2004

                                Hello,

                                Thank you for all the great info.  I’m new to the list and have a question.  Is it possible to have two USB disks connected to the LinkStation?  I can’t seem to get it to recognize the second USB drive.  If I try to make a share folder named usbdisk2 it tells me that I can’t use that name so that makes me think that it knows it is there but just won’t link me to it.  The other question I have is why the LinkStation is sharing a printer that does not exist since I have none connected to it?

                                Thanks,

                                SBD