Re: Linkstation newbie

  • gouldyis
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 3, 2005
      So, is it listed in your workgroup? (you using windows?)

      You say your router "gives" it an IP address? Meaning it is using
      DHCP, but when you plugged directly into pc and changed address you
      could ping it on 192.168.11.150, the LS default address? Have you
      changed the LS IP address at all, or changed it to enable DHCP?

      Try bringing the LS onto your network rather than taking your
      network to the LS

      Have you tried entering the mac address of the LS into router.

      Does the client utility find the Linkstation?

      If you can type in the url and it brings the home page up, you can
      change the LS settings to suit your network - i.e workgroup and IP
      address.

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "fullermd2002"
      <fullermd2002@y...> wrote:
      > OK so I tried setting the crossover switch the wrong way ( the
      green
      > light --Link/ Act goes out) Then I was unable to ping the LS, I
      was
      > unable to bring up the LS application by typing in the LS url
      into
      > the browser url box and I was unable to get the firmware upgrader
      > recognize the LS. Any other suggestions as to what to do with
      this
      > piece of JUNK.
      >
      > Dana
      >

      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "gouldyis"
      <gouldyis@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > Theres a switch on the back of your LS (if it's the ppc
      version),
      > > try switching it to the other setting.
      > >
      > > I just tried with my LS - switching it to the wrong setting that
      is -
      > > and i too could ping etc not much else.
      > >
      > > Although I would have thought they would have suggested this??

      > > box
    • shamael_2097
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 3, 2005
        After you check all the things gouldyis suggests, if it still doesn't
        work and the problem is a wrong ip you can try disabling the dhcp on
        the linkstation. I have the same router as you and I once had a
        problem with a wireless printer that couldn't get a correct IP from
        the WGT624. The Linkstation is wired so it should be better but you
        can still try keeping the dhcp on the router but giving a static ip to
        the linkstation (one that is within the ip pool of the router). In my
        case it worked.

        Good luck

        wrote:
        > So, is it listed in your workgroup? (you using windows?)
        >
        > You say your router "gives" it an IP address? Meaning it is using
        > DHCP, but when you plugged directly into pc and changed address you
        > could ping it on 192.168.11.150, the LS default address? Have you
        > changed the LS IP address at all, or changed it to enable DHCP?
        >
        > Try bringing the LS onto your network rather than taking your
        > network to the LS
        >
        > Have you tried entering the mac address of the LS into router.
        >
        > Does the client utility find the Linkstation?
        >
        > If you can type in the url and it brings the home page up, you can
        > change the LS settings to suit your network - i.e workgroup and IP
        > address.
        >

        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "fullermd2002"
        > <fullermd2002@y...> wrote:
        > > OK so I tried setting the crossover switch the wrong way ( the
        > green
        > > light --Link/ Act goes out) Then I was unable to ping the LS, I
        > was
        > > unable to bring up the LS application by typing in the LS url
        > into
        > > the browser url box and I was unable to get the firmware upgrader
        > > recognize the LS. Any other suggestions as to what to do with
        > this
        > > piece of JUNK.
        > >
        > > Dana

      • James Ronald
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 3, 2005
          Dana,

          You did turn off the Windows firewall and shutdown zone alarm or any such
          software that you may be using right.

          JR
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 5, 2005
            Hi Dana,

            OK, I'll try and point you to as many things as I can – did you also
            try the other suggestion of disabling XP firewall as this is known
            to effect the firmware updater, but in your case I think you need to
            get your network address's sorted.

            Type in your url address as normal, what you will see is the home
            page with 5 buttons on the left margin (HOME,BASIC,NETWORK,SECURITY
            USB,MAINTANENCE ( + PCAST if your firmware is later than 1.46))

            Down the middle of the page you've got all those menu's but with
            there submenu's.

            There is also a part at the top that tells you your current
            configuration – this will tell you the Network Name that you gave
            the LinkStation (you did name it?)– the IP Address that it is
            running on (I'm guessing yours says 192.168.11.150 (Manually
            Assigned?) – Disk Space Used (probably 0.1% in your case) – Current
            Date and Time (nearly Christmas!!)

            So, go to IP Address settings and at the top change DHCP Client
            Function to enable then click the apply button. You're trying DHCP
            so you shouldn't need to set the Default Gateway, so if it's not
            already, click disable then click the apply button underneath.

            If you're sure your workgroup is called HOME (XP Default is MSHOME)
            then find your way to IP Address Settings and change accordingly
            clicking apply afterwards to save the change.

            See if that helps, you may want to reboot both your pc and
            LinkStation to be sure.

            If not, you say it has an IP address in your router of 192.168.0.7?
            So, providing your routers add is 192.168.0.1 and the DHCP pool of
            your router starts at address 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.xxx – you
            have a few other things on network taking address's
            0.2,0.3,0.4,0.5,0.6 – yes? Have you tried, or you can try unplugging
            them and restarting your router.

            Try all that, if still no joy type the url in again go to system
            status (underneath maintenance) and tell what that says in relation
            to DHCP – Subnet Mask – IP Address – Workgroup.

            Hope it helps

            > >> --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "fullermd2002"
            > >

            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • irvine_stock
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 6, 2005
              I have not seen anybody tell you to disable the WinBlows firewall. Or
              any other firewall for that matter. WinBlows firewall does block most
              PC connections. You can ping and your router would work but nothing else.
              Rich
              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "shamael_2097"