Linkstation newbie

  • fullermd2002
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 1, 2005
      I bought a linkstation HD-LAN120 last year and it sat in the box
      gathering dust for a while. I tried setting it up in August. It
      came with firmware ver 1.3. When I tried to run the setup I got an
      error message A Linkstation is not connected. I have spoken with
      technical support at Buffalo many times and I have tried everything
      they suggested.

      Incl:
      Plugging it directly into my desktop via ethernet cable,
      changing my desktop IP address as suggested, downloading and running
      firmware upgrades 1.46, 1.47, and the latest one posted on the
      Buffalo downloads website...2.05? I still get the same error
      message. I can see the Linkstation on the router (Netgear WGT624
      wireless G) and it gives the linkstation an IP address when It is
      plugged into the router or the netgear hub. I can ping the
      linkstation. I can type in the Linkstation IP address into my URL
      box and bring up the Linkstation software on the device. I believe
      that I have even been able to back upo files to the linstation but
      not rretrieve them. How can I convince the setup utility that a
      linkstation IS connected? Please help as I have spent days trying
      to fix this thing and Buffalo will no longer help me. Their most
      recent position on my situation is that I can return it with the
      receipt and they will be perfectly happy to replace it. Since I
      have lost the receipt I am up a creek. Also I am not very good at
      hacking and most of these posts seem to be from people with far
      greater knowledge about the inner workings of computers than I. I
      would love to talk to someone in my area about this problem.
      Dana
      from Dallas
    • itimpi50
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 2, 2005
        For your model of LinkStation you must use the 1.xx series of
        firmware - the 2.xx series is for the models with different internal
        hardware.

        You say that you can see the LinkStation IP address from your
        router? If so it sounds as if it basically working, so you should be
        able to update the firmware. Make sure the PC is on the same subnet
        (i.e. only the last byte of the address is different) as that is
        necessary for the firmware update to work.

        Dave

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "fullermd2002"
        <fullermd2002@y...> wrote:
        > I bought a linkstation HD-LAN120 last year and it sat in the box
        > gathering dust for a while. I tried setting it up in August. It
        > came with firmware ver 1.3. When I tried to run the setup I got an
        > error message A Linkstation is not connected. I have spoken with
        > technical support at Buffalo many times and I have tried everything
        > they suggested.
        >
        > Incl:
        > Plugging it directly into my desktop via ethernet cable,
        > changing my desktop IP address as suggested, downloading and
        running
        > firmware upgrades 1.46, 1.47, and the latest one posted on the
        > Buffalo downloads website...2.05? I still get the same error
        > message. I can see the Linkstation on the router (Netgear WGT624
        > wireless G) and it gives the linkstation an IP address when It is
        > plugged into the router or the netgear hub. I can ping the
        > linkstation. I can type in the Linkstation IP address into my URL
        > box and bring up the Linkstation software on the device. I believe
        > that I have even been able to back upo files to the linstation but
        > not rretrieve them. How can I convince the setup utility that a
        > linkstation IS connected? Please help as I have spent days trying
        > to fix this thing and Buffalo will no longer help me. Their most
        > recent position on my situation is that I can return it with the
        > receipt and they will be perfectly happy to replace it. Since I
        > have lost the receipt I am up a creek. Also I am not very good at
        > hacking and most of these posts seem to be from people with far
        > greater knowledge about the inner workings of computers than I. I
        > would love to talk to someone in my area about this problem.
        > Dana
        > from Dallas
      • fullermd2002
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 2, 2005
          Yes I tried that. I changed the IP address of my computer to
          192.168.11.2, then I can ping the Linkstation at 192.168.11.150
          but then the firmware update gives me the same error message.

          Dana

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "itimpi50"
          <itimpi50@y...> wrote:
          > For your model of LinkStation you must use the 1.xx series of
          > firmware - the 2.xx series is for the models with different
          internal
          > hardware.
          >
          > You say that you can see the LinkStation IP address from your
          > router? If so it sounds as if it basically working, so you should
          be
          > able to update the firmware. Make sure the PC is on the same
          subnet
          > (i.e. only the last byte of the address is different) as that is
          > necessary for the firmware update to work.
          >
          > Dave
          >
          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "fullermd2002"
          > <fullermd2002@y...> wrote:
          > > I bought a linkstation HD-LAN120 last year and it sat in the box
          > > gathering dust for a while.
          > > Dana
          > > from Dallas
        • gouldyis
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 2, 2005
            Theres a switch on the back of your LS (if it's the ppc version),
            try switching it to the other setting.

            I just tried with my LS - switching it to the wrong setting that is -
            and i too could ping etc not much else.

            Although I would have thought they would have suggested this??

            <fullermd2002@y...> wrote:
            > Yes I tried that. I changed the IP address of my computer to
            > 192.168.11.2, then I can ping the Linkstation at 192.168.11.150
            > but then the firmware update gives me the same error message.
            >
            > Dana
            >

            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "itimpi50"
            > <itimpi50@y...> wrote:
            > > For your model of LinkStation you must use the 1.xx series of
            > > firmware - the 2.xx series is for the models with different
            > internal
            > > hardware.
            > >
            > > You say that you can see the LinkStation IP address from your
            > > router? If so it sounds as if it basically working, so you
            should
            > be
            > > able to update the firmware. Make sure the PC is on the same
            > subnet
            > > (i.e. only the last byte of the address is different) as that is
            > > necessary for the firmware update to work.
            > >
            > > Dave
            > >
            > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "fullermd2002"
            > > <fullermd2002@y...> wrote:
            > > > I bought a linkstation HD-LAN120 last year and it sat in the
            box
            > > > gathering dust for a while.
            > > > Dana
            > > > from Dallas
          • shamael_2097
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 2, 2005
              It is not necessary to connect the linkstation directly to the pc, I
              always did updates through the router, although it is a good idea if
              you suspect it might be the router giving problems. However do make
              sure the crossover/patch switch is in the right position (that is: up
              for the router, down if you go straight to the pc) and if you go
              through the router connect the pc to it with a cable since the
              wireless signal might drop in the middle of the update (and you
              definitely don't want that...)

              Shamael

              <fullermd2002@y...> wrote:
              > Yes I tried that. I changed the IP address of my computer to
              > 192.168.11.2, then I can ping the Linkstation at 192.168.11.150
              > but then the firmware update gives me the same error message.
              >
              > Dana

            • fullermd2002
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 2, 2005
                OK so I tried setting the crossover switch the wrong way ( the green
                light --Link/ Act goes out) Then I was unable to ping the LS, I was
                unable to bring up the LS application by typing in the LS url into
                the browser url box and I was unable to get the firmware upgrader to
                recognize the LS. Any other suggestions as to what to do with this
                piece of JUNK.

                Dana

                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "gouldyis" <gouldyis@y...>
                wrote:
                > Theres a switch on the back of your LS (if it's the ppc version),
                > try switching it to the other setting.
                >
                > I just tried with my LS - switching it to the wrong setting that is -
                > and i too could ping etc not much else.
                >
                > Although I would have thought they would have suggested this??

                > box
              • gouldyis
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 3, 2005
                  So, is it listed in your workgroup? (you using windows?)

                  You say your router "gives" it an IP address? Meaning it is using
                  DHCP, but when you plugged directly into pc and changed address you
                  could ping it on 192.168.11.150, the LS default address? Have you
                  changed the LS IP address at all, or changed it to enable DHCP?

                  Try bringing the LS onto your network rather than taking your
                  network to the LS

                  Have you tried entering the mac address of the LS into router.

                  Does the client utility find the Linkstation?

                  If you can type in the url and it brings the home page up, you can
                  change the LS settings to suit your network - i.e workgroup and IP
                  address.

                  <fullermd2002@y...> wrote:
                  > OK so I tried setting the crossover switch the wrong way ( the
                  green
                  > light --Link/ Act goes out) Then I was unable to ping the LS, I
                  was
                  > unable to bring up the LS application by typing in the LS url
                  into
                  > the browser url box and I was unable to get the firmware upgrader
                  > recognize the LS. Any other suggestions as to what to do with
                  this
                  > piece of JUNK.
                  >
                  > Dana
                  >

                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "gouldyis"
                  <gouldyis@y...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > Theres a switch on the back of your LS (if it's the ppc
                  version),
                  > > try switching it to the other setting.
                  > >
                  > > I just tried with my LS - switching it to the wrong setting that
                  is -
                  > > and i too could ping etc not much else.
                  > >
                  > > Although I would have thought they would have suggested this??

                  > > box
                • shamael_2097
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 3, 2005
                    After you check all the things gouldyis suggests, if it still doesn't
                    work and the problem is a wrong ip you can try disabling the dhcp on
                    the linkstation. I have the same router as you and I once had a
                    problem with a wireless printer that couldn't get a correct IP from
                    the WGT624. The Linkstation is wired so it should be better but you
                    can still try keeping the dhcp on the router but giving a static ip to
                    the linkstation (one that is within the ip pool of the router). In my
                    case it worked.

                    Good luck

                    wrote:
                    > So, is it listed in your workgroup? (you using windows?)
                    >
                    > You say your router "gives" it an IP address? Meaning it is using
                    > DHCP, but when you plugged directly into pc and changed address you
                    > could ping it on 192.168.11.150, the LS default address? Have you
                    > changed the LS IP address at all, or changed it to enable DHCP?
                    >
                    > Try bringing the LS onto your network rather than taking your
                    > network to the LS
                    >
                    > Have you tried entering the mac address of the LS into router.
                    >
                    > Does the client utility find the Linkstation?
                    >
                    > If you can type in the url and it brings the home page up, you can
                    > change the LS settings to suit your network - i.e workgroup and IP
                    > address.
                    >

                    > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "fullermd2002"
                    > <fullermd2002@y...> wrote:
                    > > OK so I tried setting the crossover switch the wrong way ( the
                    > green
                    > > light --Link/ Act goes out) Then I was unable to ping the LS, I
                    > was
                    > > unable to bring up the LS application by typing in the LS url
                    > into
                    > > the browser url box and I was unable to get the firmware upgrader
                    > > recognize the LS. Any other suggestions as to what to do with
                    > this
                    > > piece of JUNK.
                    > >
                    > > Dana

                  • James Ronald
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 3, 2005
                      Dana,

                      You did turn off the Windows firewall and shutdown zone alarm or any such
                      software that you may be using right.

                      JR
                      > Yes I tried that. I changed the IP address of my computer to
                      > 192.168.11.2, then I can ping the Linkstation at 192.168.11.150
                      > but then the firmware update gives me the same error message.
                      >
                      > Dana
                      >

                      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "itimpi50"
                      > <itimpi50@y...> wrote:
                      >> For your model of LinkStation you must use the 1.xx series of
                      >> firmware - the 2.xx series is for the models with different
                      > internal
                      >> hardware.
                      >>
                      >> You say that you can see the LinkStation IP address from your
                      >> router? If so it sounds as if it basically working, so you should
                      > be
                      >> able to update the firmware. Make sure the PC is on the same
                      > subnet
                      >> (i.e. only the last byte of the address is different) as that is
                      >> necessary for the firmware update to work.
                      >>
                      >> Dave
                      >>
                      >> --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "fullermd2002"
                      >> <fullermd2002@y...> wrote:
                      >> > I bought a linkstation HD-LAN120 last year and it sat in the box
                      >> > gathering dust for a while.
                      >> > Dana
                      >> > from Dallas
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • gouldyis
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 5, 2005
                        Hi Dana,

                        OK, I'll try and point you to as many things as I can – did you also
                        try the other suggestion of disabling XP firewall as this is known
                        to effect the firmware updater, but in your case I think you need to
                        get your network address's sorted.

                        Type in your url address as normal, what you will see is the home
                        page with 5 buttons on the left margin (HOME,BASIC,NETWORK,SECURITY
                        USB,MAINTANENCE ( + PCAST if your firmware is later than 1.46))

                        Down the middle of the page you've got all those menu's but with
                        there submenu's.

                        There is also a part at the top that tells you your current
                        configuration – this will tell you the Network Name that you gave
                        the LinkStation (you did name it?)– the IP Address that it is
                        running on (I'm guessing yours says 192.168.11.150 (Manually
                        Assigned?) – Disk Space Used (probably 0.1% in your case) – Current
                        Date and Time (nearly Christmas!!)

                        So, go to IP Address settings and at the top change DHCP Client
                        Function to enable then click the apply button. You're trying DHCP
                        so you shouldn't need to set the Default Gateway, so if it's not
                        already, click disable then click the apply button underneath.

                        If you're sure your workgroup is called HOME (XP Default is MSHOME)
                        then find your way to IP Address Settings and change accordingly
                        clicking apply afterwards to save the change.

                        See if that helps, you may want to reboot both your pc and
                        LinkStation to be sure.

                        If not, you say it has an IP address in your router of 192.168.0.7?
                        So, providing your routers add is 192.168.0.1 and the DHCP pool of
                        your router starts at address 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.xxx – you
                        have a few other things on network taking address's
                        0.2,0.3,0.4,0.5,0.6 – yes? Have you tried, or you can try unplugging
                        them and restarting your router.

                        Try all that, if still no joy type the url in again go to system
                        status (underneath maintenance) and tell what that says in relation
                        to DHCP – Subnet Mask – IP Address – Workgroup.

                        Hope it helps

                        > >> --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "fullermd2002"
                        > >

                        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • irvine_stock
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 6, 2005
                          I have not seen anybody tell you to disable the WinBlows firewall. Or
                          any other firewall for that matter. WinBlows firewall does block most
                          PC connections. You can ping and your router would work but nothing else.
                          Rich
                          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "shamael_2097"