RE: [LinkStation_General] What do do now?

  • Art Wallace
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 30, 2005
      You're Kuro might be running the bootup disk check (every 160 days or 50
      mounts kinda thing). The original Gentoo B1 didn't start the watchdog
      until the end of the boot process. Since the disk check takes longer
      than 5 minutes, the AVR shuts the machine down and it never finishes.
      There is an update to Gentoo B1 that fixes this behaviour.

      To temporarily get around the problem, you can power the Kuro up with
      the watchdog disabled. If I remember correctly, with the machine off,
      hold down the red switch in the rear while powering on the Kuro. Hold
      that button and the power button down for several seconds while the
      machine is booting. The lights will start flashing if this is successful
      and will remain flashing until it shuts down.

      If you can get it to boot with the watchdog disabled, the disk check
      should run and hopefully complete. Then you can shutdown and reboot to
      re-enable the watchdog. Then log in as normal and install the new Gentoo
      update.

      Art Wallace
      art@...

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2005
        Still no progress. Here's what I've tried.

        First I rebooted in EM Mode (or tried to), as suggested by Art(holding
        the reset button during power up). That didn't work, for the reasons
        outlined in the Kuro yahoo group.

        The next thing I tried was to force the disk check myself by running
        fsck on each partition from another machine. The first two partitions
        (system and /var) did not seem to need to be fsck'ed, and the command
        had no effect. The third partition is my swap, which I could not
        access from Knoppix. The fourth partition, where all my data is, did
        need to be fsck'ed, so I let that run all night last night.

        Today, I rebooted the Linkstation, and there has been no improvement
        of its condition. The disk still grinds away until the power kicks
        out, which fits with the scenario of the system trying to do some disk
        maintenance before booting.

        Is there any way to manually modify the Gentoo install to bypass the
        disk maintainence that seems to be causing my problem? Any further
        suggestions of what I might try before going down the wipe and rebuild
        road?

        Thanks,

        Chris

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Art Wallace" <art@c...>

      • eykamp
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2005
          I think I finally figured it out. My Linkstation is running normally
          now, everything seems to be back in shape.

          Since I knew that the overlay presented here:

          http://www.kurobox.com/online/tiki-index.php?page=GentooBeta1_20050306

          would fix my problem, I looked at what it did. Since I knew that my
          problem was related to the order in which things ran, I homed in on
          the following patch:

          rc-scripts-1.4.16--kuro--AVR_before_all.patch

          I looked at the changes the patch file made, booted knoppix on my
          desktop, inserted my Linkstation hard disk, and proceeded to manually
          make the changes specified in the file.

          Once that was done, I reassembled the LS, rebooted, and now everything
          works. I'm emerging a whole lot of stuff as I write this.

          Not bad for a guy who knows nothing about Linux! ;-)

          Chris

        • Art Wallace
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 1, 2005
            How long did you hold the red and power down buttons for?

            Art Wallace
            art@...

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 2, 2005
              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "eykamp" <chris@e...> wrote:
              > I think I finally figured it out. My Linkstation is running
              > normally now, everything seems to be back in shape.

              > I'm emerging a whole lot of stuff as I write this.
              >
              > Not bad for a guy who knows nothing about Linux! ;-)

              Not bat at all! Gentoo is not a Linux distro for newbies. It is very
              good in the long run however, as long as you don't mind the lengthy
              emerge/compile times. Especially long on the 200Mhz Linkstation, but
              in theory your system should have a little tighter and faster running
              code than those of us that went the Debian route. Installed software
              should be much newer versions too.

              Keep it up and please keep us informed on your progress. Since most
              of the Gentoo usage has been mostly constrained to kurobox owners (who
              might become a rare and dying breed, sorry to say), it would be good
              for some of us LS owners to get up to speed on this so all their
              knowledge and experience would not be lost.