Re: Starting slimserver on reboot

  • jamy1975
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2004
      The easiest way to make this happen is to put a script in /etc/init.d
      that runs the commands to start slimserver. This is not the most
      secure method as it will run as root, but is probably the most simple.

      Jamy

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Bell" <mike@m...>
      wrote:

      > Thanks to all the info on this board, I got my Linstation up and
      > going with Slimserver yesterday in just a few hours.
      >
      > All that's left is starting the linkstation automatically on reboot,
      > I've looked but not found, any pointers please?
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Mike.
    • Michael Bell
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2004
        Cheers Jamy, sounds great.

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jamy1975" <jamy@b...>
        wrote:

        > The easiest way to make this happen is to put a script
        in /etc/init.d
        > that runs the commands to start slimserver. This is not the most
        > secure method as it will run as root, but is probably the most
        simple.

        > Jamy
        >
        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Bell"
        <mike@m...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Thanks to all the info on this board, I got my Linstation up and
        > > going with Slimserver yesterday in just a few hours.
        > >
        > > All that's left is starting the linkstation automatically on
        reboot,
        > > I've looked but not found, any pointers please?
        > >
        > > Cheers,
        > >
        > > Mike.
      • gotsprings12
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 2004
          Could there be a: "do this, now this set" of directions for this auto
          start script?

          Springs
          wrote:

          > Cheers Jamy, sounds great.
          >
          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jamy1975" <jamy@b...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > The easiest way to make this happen is to put a script
          > in /etc/init.d
          > > that runs the commands to start slimserver. This is not the most
          > > secure method as it will run as root, but is probably the most
          > simple.
          > >
          > > Jamy
          > >
          > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Bell"
          > <mike@m...>
          > > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Thanks to all the info on this board, I got my Linstation up and
          > > > going with Slimserver yesterday in just a few hours.
          > > >
          > > > All that's left is starting the linkstation automatically on
          > reboot,
          > > > I've looked but not found, any pointers please?
          > > >
          > > > Cheers,
          > > >
          > > > Mike.
        • Iain Stevenson
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 2, 2004
            First step is probably to get a script that will start and stop slimserver
            from the command line. Then you'll need to create some symlinks in
            /etc/rc.d/rc2.d and /etc/rc.d/rc6.d. Try copying the script from below
            (which I hacked from my redhat system running slimserver) and save it on
            the LinkStation as "slimstart" or suchlike. Then chmod 755 slimstart.
            Then ./slimstart start and see if slimserver starts up. Then stop it with
            ./slimstart stop. If that works you can automate the process ...

            I hope this works but unfortunately I don't have slimserver on my
            LinkStation so YMMV.

            Iain

            --On Thursday, December 2, 2004 4:10 am +0000 gotsprings12
            <cnichol@...> wrote:

            > Could there be a: "do this, now this set" of directions for this auto
            > start script?
            >
            > Springs

            #!/bin/bash
            #
            # slimserver.init This shell script takes care of starting and stopping
            # the Slim streaming MP3 server.
            #
            # chkconfig: 345 80 30
            # processname: slimserver.pl
            # config: /etc/slimserver.conf

            RETVAL=0
            prog="SLIMSERVER"

            SLIMSERVER_USER="slimserver"
            SLIMSERVER_HOME="/usr/local/slimserver"
            SLIMSERVER_CFG="/etc/slimserver.conf"
            SLIMSERVER_LOG="/tmp/slimserver.log"
            SLIMSERVER_ARGS="--daemon --prefsfile=$SLIMSERVER_CFG
            --logfile=$SLIMSERVER_LOG"
            SLIMSERVER_BIN="$SLIMSERVER_HOME/slimserver.pl"

            [ -x $SLIMSERVER_BIN -a -f $SLIMSERVER_CFG ] || exit 5

            start() {
            echo -n "Starting SlimServer: "
            $SLIMSERVER_BIN --user $SLIMSERVER_USER $SLIMSERVER_ARGS
            RETVAL=$?
            echo
            [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && touch /var/lock/subsys/slimserver
            return $RETVAL
            # echo_success
            }

            stop() {
            echo -n "Shutting down SlimServer: "
            killall -9 slimserver.pl
            RETVAL=$?
            echo
            [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && rm -f /var/lock/subsys/slimserver
            return $RETVAL
            }

            # See how we were called.
            case "$1" in
            start)
            start
            ;;
            stop)
            stop
            ;;
            restart|reload)
            stop
            start
            RETVAL=$?
            ;;
            status)
            status $SLIMSERVER_BIN
            RETVAL=$?
            ;;
            *)
            echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart|status}"
            exit 1
            esac
            exit $RETVAL
          • jamy1975
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 3, 2004
              I also tried moving the slimserver script from my redhat box over..
              There are quite a few differences, that prevent it from working. Below
              is the output when the script is run.

              ./slimserver: /sbin/consoletype: No such file or directory
              ./slimserver: /etc/sysconfig/network: No such file or directory
              ./slimserver: [: =: unary operator expected
              Starting SlimServer: ./slimserver: initlog: command not found
              ./slimserver: initlog: command not found
              FAILED]

              Very odd changes from default linux installs. After these are fixed,
              many more items could possibly be different. It may be worth
              completely rewriting the script.

              Jamy

              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Iain Stevenson <iain@i...>