Debian install on PPC - For newbies

  • stubbsjuk
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 28, 2005

      I am hoping some one can help.

      I am a newbie and I would like to install (As the title says)

      A suggestion has been made that we could use SWAPPART to effectively
      swap hda1 & hda3 over and then use Freelink to install Debian on what
      was hda3 - now hda1. The advantage of this is that you (I assume)
      would still have the original linkstation firmware on hda3 and could
      if you chose use SWAPPART revert the linkstation back to standard.

      The start of this journey is logged at the forum:

      http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/index.php?action=
      vthread&forum=2&topic=201&page=-1#14

      Can any one help with the follwing questions:

      5) Does anyone think it will have any problem booting if it doesn't
      find some "expected" directories (like for the Windows' shares) if
      they aren't there? Because we will have the partitions swapped, it
      will be looking at your original LS OS partition instead of the big
      one where all your Windows' shares are. So of course when you first
      boot Freelink, the Windows' shares won't be there but as long as we
      can still telnet or ssh in, that is all we really care about for now.
      We can fix up the Windows' shares later.

      6) I'm assuming that Freelink will install cleanly on a disk that is
      partitioned and formatted, but does not contain an existing OS on
      /dev/hda1.

      Best wishes.

      James.