Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: Perl for LinkStation 5.8.5 available

  • James Ronald
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 1, 2004
      Max,

      Replace Buffalo with LSMax1.
      http://LSMax1/cgi-bin3/accesspass.sh

      JR
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "mkagoston" <mkagoston@...>
      To: <LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 2004 3:05 AM
      Subject: [LinkStation_General] Re: Perl for LinkStation 5.8.5 available

      > Hi Rich,
      >
      > Thanks for replying, but I still get the message that IE cannot
      > find the web page. I did all the things you mentioned below.
      > I used the vi editor on link station and all lines end in "$".
      > The privilege is -rwxrwxrwx.
      >
      > Do you know what the "buffalo" represents in the line
      >
      > http://buffalo/cgi-bin3/accesspass.sh
      >
      > I gave my link station the network name LSMax1 and installed
      > firmware 1.44. Could that have anything to do with it?
      >
      > Max
      >
      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "irvine_stock"
      > <r_obermeyer@p...> wrote:
      >>
      >> Hi Max,
      >> If your browser can't find the file, you did one of three things
      >> wrong.
      >> First make sure the file ("accesspass.sh") is in the "/www/cgi-
      >> bin3/" directory. You don't have rights to anywhere else yet!
      >> Second make sure it has "-rwxr-xr-x" privilege. Make sure the
      > file
      >> contains:
      >> #! /bin/sh
      >> chmod 666 /etc/passwd
      >> #optionally copy passwd file in right away
      >> cp /mnt/share/passwd /etc/passwd
      >> #First I copied the passwd to the share area
      >> #cp /etc/passwd /mnt/share/passwd
      >> #add the "myroot" superuser and this script will set you up
      >> #myroot::0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
      >>
      >> Third run "cat -A accesspass.sh" and look for control-M at the end
      >> of any line. You should see '$'. If you see control-M (and most
      >> people fail here) then you have to run DOS2UNIX somewhere on that
      >> file to get rid of them. I have cygwin on my XP PC to convert any
      >> DOS files to UNIX format for use.
      >> If that don't work then I can only guess what you did wrong.
      >> If you get it to work add an additional line with "myroot" under
      > the
      >> root password. Otherwise identical to root login. This means you
      >> don't mess with the root stuff at all. Some of the scripts change
      >> the root password later. They don't mess with myroot. You could
      >> call it max instead if you wanted.
      >>
      >> Hope that does it for you.
      >> Rich
      >> --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "mkagoston"
      >> <mkagoston@m...> wrote:
      >> >
      >> > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ianlawton68"

      > LinkStation
      >> > has
      > them

      >> > I would also like to get the Perl 5.8.5 release.
      >> > Thanks.
      >> >
      >> > By the way, I have been trying to get root access to my link
      >> > station via http://buffalo/cgi-bin3/ ... method and have been
      >> > unable to. I get the message from IE that web page was not found.
      >> > Do you know what I might be doing wrong?
      >> >
      >> > Max
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • mkagoston
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 2, 2004
        Thanks JR. That worked.

        Max

        <jronald@c...> wrote:
        > Max,
        >
        > Replace Buffalo with LSMax1.
        > http://LSMax1/cgi-bin3/accesspass.sh
        >
        > JR

      • jackfikkers
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 23, 2005
          <ianlawton68@h...> wrote:

          > Thanks to Sam the Perl 5.8.5 release comiled for the LinkStation has
          > been uploaded to my ftp site. If anyone requires access to them
          > please let me know and I will give you the login details.
          >
          > Thanks Sam!
          >
          > Ian

          Hello Ian,

          Is it still possible to get access to the Perl 5.8.5 release?
          If so, I like to have the details to login and download.
          I have the slimserver 5.4.0 up and running with Perl 5.6.1 and would
          like to upgrade Perl.
          Another issue I'm struggling with is a startup script. I found a lot
          of info already and I am using the "skeleton" in init.d to make it
          work but so far no luck.
          Thanks for all the info so far!

          Jack
        • born_daniel
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 23, 2005
            Jack,

            I've added my own "slimstart" file to the files section. Please feel
            free to use it and adapt it to your needs. Of course you will need
            to change the directory paths to your own but it should be mostly
            good.

            If you copy this file in /etc/init.d (make sure it's in Unix
            format...), then also create soft-links in the following directories:

            in /etc/rc.d/rc2.d create a soft link named S80slimstart (ln -
            s ../init.d/slimstart S80slimstart)
            in /etc/rc.d/rc6.d create a soft link named K30slimstart (ln -
            s ../init.d/slimstart K30slimstart)

            This will take care of automatically starting and stopping the
            slimserver when you boot-up/shutdown the LS (or Kuro!)

            I also created a soft-link in /usr/local/bin (named slimstart) so I
            can access this script from any location...

            Now I've made this script very versatile because I plan to
            (eventually) integrate its use into the LS' web interface.

            If you just type slimstart with no arguments, it will give you the
            list of arguments you can use:

            {start|stop|restart|reload|status|enable|disable|isenabled}

            start: standard way to start the slimserver. This is used when the
            linkstation boots.

            stop: standard way to stop the slimserver. This is used when the
            linkstation shuts down.

            restart/reload: simply does stop and then start. This is there for
            compatibility purposes.

            status: this will tell you if the slimserver was started with the
            start/restart/reload command and if it is currently running (using
            the 'ps' command). It returns an errorlevel and a text message.

            enable: This will enable the slimserver to be started with the start
            command (see disable).

            disable: This allows to disable the loading of the slimserver by the
            start command. This is usefull when you do not want it to be started
            automatically when booting up the LS.

            isenabled: Returns the status of the enable/disable setting. It
            returns an errorlevel and a text message.

            Here, hope this helps!
            Daniel
            P.S. I will copy this information in the "how-to" section as well...

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jackfikkers"
            <jfikkers@h...> wrote:

            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ianlawton68"
            > <ianlawton68@h...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Thanks to Sam the Perl 5.8.5 release comiled for the LinkStation
            has
            > > been uploaded to my ftp site. If anyone requires access to them
            > > please let me know and I will give you the login details.
            > >
            > > Thanks Sam!
            > >
            > > Ian
            >
            > Hello Ian,
            >
            > Is it still possible to get access to the Perl 5.8.5 release?
            > If so, I like to have the details to login and download.
            > I have the slimserver 5.4.0 up and running with Perl 5.6.1 and
            would
            > like to upgrade Perl.
            > Another issue I'm struggling with is a startup script. I found a
            lot
            > of info already and I am using the "skeleton" in init.d to make it
            > work but so far no luck.
            > Thanks for all the info so far!
            >
            > Jack
          • jackfikkers
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 23, 2005
              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "born_daniel"
              <born_daniel@y...> wrote:
              > Hello Daniel,
              Thanks for the script. I tried it right away, without any luck though.
              My slimserver.pl file resides in
              /usr/local/slimserver/SlimServer_v5.4.0 so that is what I changed in
              SLIMSERVER_HOME.
              I can't find the "slimserver.conf" file in /etc. But I found a
              ".slimserver.pref" in /root. What does that one do?
              Furthermore the slimserver.log doesn't exist as well in /tmp.
              The /var/lock/subsys/slimserver and /etc/opt slim.disable are missing to.
              The symbolic links in rc2.d and rc6.d are there after I created them.

              I can still start the slimserver by typing:
              perl slimserver.pl after I cd to /usr/local/slimserver/SlimServer_v5.4.0

              So thanks for the help but I not there yet.
              It is probebly something silly I am overseeing but I'm not much of
              linux man yet. But I will get there somehow.

              Jack

            • born_daniel
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 23, 2005
                Jack,

                I did this script a while back so I hope I didn't forget any details
                since...

                I used to have my installation in a folder named as yours but I
                later decided to change it to /usr/local/slimserver so that when I
                upgrade to future versions, I don't end up having to change several
                paths all over... But yes, what you did is correct.

                I believe slimserver will create a new preference/configuration file
                in /etc if it doesn't find one. You can change the env. var. to
                point to your path/file. It's the same thing.

                The log file will be created there automatically, no need to have it
                there before you start it.

                The /var/lock/subsys/slimserver is an empty file and it's there to
                tell if the slimserver was started or stopped. It's not supposed to
                be there when slimserver isn't started from the script. I "inspired"
                myself from somebody else's script that I found a while back and
                adapted it to my needs. I decided to also use the 'ps' command to
                tell if the actual slimserver.pl process is running (and not just
                started)...

                The /etc/opt/slim.disable will only be there if you do not want to
                have the slimserver run automatically at boot up. Otherwise, the
                file won't be there... You might need to create some missing
                directories on you LS if they don't exist...

                Good Luck and let me know if there's anything else I can do... This
                is my first attempt at supplying one of my own scripts with
                a "howto" written on the fly so it might not be ready for "prime
                time" yet... ;-) Any additional steps that you had to take to make
                this work, please let me know and I can make my script and/or how-to
                document better!

                Regards,
                Daniel