Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: memory upgrade on LS1 ?

  • Arias Hung
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 22, 2005
      On Mon, 19 Sep 2005, irvine_stock delivered in simple text monotone:

      >Arias,
      >The question is not if the HG uses a 10/100/100 realtek chip. That's
      >obvious. My HG uses the 8110 chip. The LS1 uses the ADAMtek 983B.
      >Maybe it is even compatible with the lower speed realtek?
      >Does anybody know the difference between a RealTek
      >8100/8110/8139/8169? Are these all bug fixes?

      Sorry I wasn't more clear. By stating the chipset of the gig ethernet chip I meant to imply that only the gig ethernet driver is compiled into the stock HG kernel. At least in every kernel config I've ever seen for the HG there has never been anything more than four ethernet compile options:

      CONFIG_NET_ETHERNET=y
      CONFIG_NET_PCI=y
      CONFIG_R8169=y
      RTL8169_JUMBO_FRAME_SUPPORT=y

      if you find an existing firmware in which a 10/100 card is compiled into a HG firmware, that would be fantastic since I would hate to see such a labor intensive mod (at least for me it would be :) ) be in vain.

      As alternative to jtag, you could get the serial console with input line working, which would allow you to load a proper kernel without a network connections ( at least our japanese colleagues seem to do it this way ).