Re: memory upgrade on LS1 ?

  • irvine_stock
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 18, 2005
      Arias,
      The question is not if the HG uses a 10/100/100 realtek chip. That's
      obvious. My HG uses the 8110 chip. The LS1 uses the ADAMtek 983B.
      Maybe it is even compatible with the lower speed realtek?
      Does anybody know the difference between a RealTek
      8100/8110/8139/8169? Are these all bug fixes?

      Anyway it's whether support is in the boot kernel for 10/100 device
      too. Typically multiple are there anyway. They are small.
      I recall somebody indicated they put an HG kernel on a LS1 (non-HG)
      and it booted (Supposedly). If support was not there it would not
      work. Maybe it booted but the network didn't work. Don't recall them
      saying. Going with this if the boot kernel in the flash has support
      for both it should be loadable.

      This could then allow the larger RAM to run on an LS1 with 4 SDRAMS.

      Copying all the flash contents from a HG to a LS1 (non-HG) with extra
      ram and the 64 bit enable resistor should work.
      If I had the JTAG codes I would move my HG code over to my LS1 to try
      it. I only need the JTAG codes incase it does not work and I have to
      put the old code back. :-)
      My non-HG Kuro box has Linkstation Boot code in it already. That works.
      Rich
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Arias Hung <arias@m...>

      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 18, 2005
        I'm often amazed how well my LS runs on just 64mb. Granted it gets
        real slow running Mozilla Firefox, but considering all the other
        stuff I have running on it at the same time, I'm really happy with
        the performance (memory management anyway).

        I even reduced the swap partition from the original 512M to 256M and
        I usually never swap more than about 64 megs in normal use (running
        a graphical desktop through VNC, ssh, apache, ftp, webmin, DNS
        server, Full NTP time server, samba, mail server, then having it do
        something like running some bit-torrents, or normalizing a bunch of
        mp3's, or even playing some of the through a USB audio dongle) and
        even then, half the swap is just buffer/cache.

        What I'd like to speed up is USB throughput, but we need to
        re-compile the kernel to do that (take the "debug" mode out of USB).
      • haberschnasel
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 19, 2005
          <wartstew@y...> wrote:
          > What I'd like to speed up is USB throughput, but we need to
          > re-compile the kernel to do that (take the "debug" mode out of USB).

          This would be great. Increasing network throughput would be great,
          too. But, do you expect more than the 10% USB speed increase reported
          in post #3779?
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 19, 2005
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "haberschnasel"
            <haberschnasel@y...> wrote:
            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Stewart"
            > <wartstew@y...> wrote:
            > > What I'd like to speed up is USB throughput, but we need to
            > > re-compile the kernel to do that (take the "debug" mode out of USB).
            >
            > This would be great. Increasing network throughput would be great,
            > too. But, do you expect more than the 10% USB speed increase reported
            > in post #3779?

            Maybe. What is odd is that I could never get more the USB-1.0
            (12MB/S) mode detected when using the Kurobox Kernel on my LS in the
            first place. I wonder if the same thing happens on the Kuroboxes with
            that same kernel? In this case the 6.somthing MB transfer rate might
            be about right once you deal with all the overhead.

            I guess I need to benchmark my network performance. Since I'm using
            mostly current Samba release on my LS, It does seem faster, but maybe
            I'm a victim of a placebo effect.

            At least I know I'm running the hard drive in DMA mode and am getting
            over 26MB/S out of it (on the slow 5400RPM Samsung 120MB drive). I
            had found a post where someone got info from Melco/Buffalo that the LS
            is only capable of 29MB/S bus speed anyway, so If I could get USB
            performance of about half that I think I would be happy.

            -------

            A side note, my fan started getting noisy. Because replacement is a
            little tricky, I pulled it out and pulled the plastic sticker off the
            hub, put a drop of oil into the bearing and put the sticker back on.
            It is now nice and quiet again. I've done this trick in the past with
            these kind of cheap fans and got a lot of extra life out of them.
          • gkennydunn
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 21, 2005
              Wondering where your local disk stats came from. I've tried a few
              things with varying success but now have

              hdparm -tT /dev/hda

              /dev/hda:
              Timing buffer-cache reads: 128 MB in 1.82 seconds = 70.33 MB/sec
              Timing buffered disk reads: 64 MB in 2.02 seconds = 31.68 MB/sec

              Obviously, this whole discussion belongs in a thread away from any
              memory issues which we would all like to overcome.

              an LS1 I just received a few weeks back

              <wartstew@y...> wrote:
              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "haberschnasel"
              > <haberschnasel@y...> wrote:
              > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Stewart"
              > > <wartstew@y...> wrote:
              > > > What I'd like to speed up is USB throughput, but we need to
              > > > re-compile the kernel to do that (take the "debug" mode out of USB).
              > >
              > > This would be great. Increasing network throughput would be great,
              > > too. But, do you expect more than the 10% USB speed increase reported
              > > in post #3779?
              >
              > Maybe. What is odd is that I could never get more the USB-1.0
              > (12MB/S) mode detected when using the Kurobox Kernel on my LS in the
              > first place. I wonder if the same thing happens on the Kuroboxes with
              > that same kernel? In this case the 6.somthing MB transfer rate might
              > be about right once you deal with all the overhead.
              >
              > I guess I need to benchmark my network performance. Since I'm using
              > mostly current Samba release on my LS, It does seem faster, but maybe
              > I'm a victim of a placebo effect.
              >
              > At least I know I'm running the hard drive in DMA mode and am getting
              > over 26MB/S out of it (on the slow 5400RPM Samsung 120MB drive). I
              > had found a post where someone got info from Melco/Buffalo that the LS
              > is only capable of 29MB/S bus speed anyway, so If I could get USB
              > performance of about half that I think I would be happy.
              >
              > -------
              >
              > A side note, my fan started getting noisy. Because replacement is a
              > little tricky, I pulled it out and pulled the plastic sticker off the
              > hub, put a drop of oil into the bearing and put the sticker back on.
              > It is now nice and quiet again. I've done this trick in the past with
              > these kind of cheap fans and got a lot of extra life out of them.
            • Arias Hung
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 22, 2005
                On Mon, 19 Sep 2005, irvine_stock delivered in simple text monotone:

                >Arias,
                >The question is not if the HG uses a 10/100/100 realtek chip. That's
                >obvious. My HG uses the 8110 chip. The LS1 uses the ADAMtek 983B.
                >Maybe it is even compatible with the lower speed realtek?
                >Does anybody know the difference between a RealTek
                >8100/8110/8139/8169? Are these all bug fixes?

                Sorry I wasn't more clear. By stating the chipset of the gig ethernet chip I meant to imply that only the gig ethernet driver is compiled into the stock HG kernel. At least in every kernel config I've ever seen for the HG there has never been anything more than four ethernet compile options:

                CONFIG_NET_ETHERNET=y
                CONFIG_NET_PCI=y
                CONFIG_R8169=y
                RTL8169_JUMBO_FRAME_SUPPORT=y

                if you find an existing firmware in which a 10/100 card is compiled into a HG firmware, that would be fantastic since I would hate to see such a labor intensive mod (at least for me it would be :) ) be in vain.

                As alternative to jtag, you could get the serial console with input line working, which would allow you to load a proper kernel without a network connections ( at least our japanese colleagues seem to do it this way ).