Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

memory upgrade on LS1 ?

Expand Messages
  • Sasha
    I am curious if anybody tried to upgrade memory on LS1 to 128MB by adding an extra chip. Is it possible to do this?
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 15, 2005
    • 0 Attachment
      I am curious if anybody tried to upgrade memory on LS1 to 128MB by
      adding an extra chip. Is it possible to do this?
    • irvine_stock
      Sasha, I upgraded my LS1 to 128MB by soldering in the extra SDRAMs. The problem is the firmware and hardware need to boot in 64 bit mode to use the extra ram.
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 17, 2005
      • 0 Attachment
        Sasha,
        I upgraded my LS1 to 128MB by soldering in the extra SDRAMs.
        The problem is the firmware and hardware need to boot in 64 bit mode
        to use the extra ram. In 32 bit mode only 64Mbytes shows up even when
        the ram is installed. If the option resistor is installed to switch
        it to 64 bit mode the firmware crashes and does not even attempt to
        load the kernel.
        Nothing is transmitted on the internal serial port unless 32 bit mode
        is used. Motorola indicates in there documentation its a compile
        option for them. I think it was hardcoded on purpose so we can't
        install without upgrading to an HG which does have 128Mbytes and has
        the option resistor to switch it.
        If the HG boot and kernel has the 10/100 ethernet controller in it,
        then HG code could be moved to a LS1 and run with 128Mbyte firmware
        and kernel.
        Rich
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Sasha" <sashapost@y...>
        wrote:
        > I am curious if anybody tried to upgrade memory on LS1 to 128MB by
        > adding an extra chip. Is it possible to do this?
      • Arias Hung
        ... The HG uses a gig ethernet realtek 8169 chip for 10/100/1000.
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 18, 2005
        • 0 Attachment
          On Sat, 17 Sep 2005, irvine_stock delivered in simple text monotone:

          >If the HG boot and kernel has the 10/100 ethernet controller in it,
          >then HG code could be moved to a LS1 and run with 128Mbyte firmware
          >and kernel.

          The HG uses a gig ethernet realtek 8169 chip for 10/100/1000.
        • irvine_stock
          Arias, The question is not if the HG uses a 10/100/100 realtek chip. That s obvious. My HG uses the 8110 chip. The LS1 uses the ADAMtek 983B. Maybe it is even
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 18, 2005
          • 0 Attachment
            Arias,
            The question is not if the HG uses a 10/100/100 realtek chip. That's
            obvious. My HG uses the 8110 chip. The LS1 uses the ADAMtek 983B.
            Maybe it is even compatible with the lower speed realtek?
            Does anybody know the difference between a RealTek
            8100/8110/8139/8169? Are these all bug fixes?

            Anyway it's whether support is in the boot kernel for 10/100 device
            too. Typically multiple are there anyway. They are small.
            I recall somebody indicated they put an HG kernel on a LS1 (non-HG)
            and it booted (Supposedly). If support was not there it would not
            work. Maybe it booted but the network didn't work. Don't recall them
            saying. Going with this if the boot kernel in the flash has support
            for both it should be loadable.

            This could then allow the larger RAM to run on an LS1 with 4 SDRAMS.

            Copying all the flash contents from a HG to a LS1 (non-HG) with extra
            ram and the 64 bit enable resistor should work.
            If I had the JTAG codes I would move my HG code over to my LS1 to try
            it. I only need the JTAG codes incase it does not work and I have to
            put the old code back. :-)
            My non-HG Kuro box has Linkstation Boot code in it already. That works.
            Rich
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Arias Hung <arias@m...>
            wrote:
            > On Sat, 17 Sep 2005, irvine_stock delivered in simple text monotone:
            >
            > >If the HG boot and kernel has the 10/100 ethernet controller in it,
            > >then HG code could be moved to a LS1 and run with 128Mbyte firmware
            > >and kernel.
            >
            > The HG uses a gig ethernet realtek 8169 chip for 10/100/1000.
          • James Stewart
            I m often amazed how well my LS runs on just 64mb. Granted it gets real slow running Mozilla Firefox, but considering all the other stuff I have running on it
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 18, 2005
            • 0 Attachment
              I'm often amazed how well my LS runs on just 64mb. Granted it gets
              real slow running Mozilla Firefox, but considering all the other
              stuff I have running on it at the same time, I'm really happy with
              the performance (memory management anyway).

              I even reduced the swap partition from the original 512M to 256M and
              I usually never swap more than about 64 megs in normal use (running
              a graphical desktop through VNC, ssh, apache, ftp, webmin, DNS
              server, Full NTP time server, samba, mail server, then having it do
              something like running some bit-torrents, or normalizing a bunch of
              mp3's, or even playing some of the through a USB audio dongle) and
              even then, half the swap is just buffer/cache.

              What I'd like to speed up is USB throughput, but we need to
              re-compile the kernel to do that (take the "debug" mode out of USB).
            • haberschnasel
              ... This would be great. Increasing network throughput would be great, too. But, do you expect more than the 10% USB speed increase reported in post #3779?
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 19, 2005
              • 0 Attachment
                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Stewart"
                <wartstew@y...> wrote:
                > What I'd like to speed up is USB throughput, but we need to
                > re-compile the kernel to do that (take the "debug" mode out of USB).

                This would be great. Increasing network throughput would be great,
                too. But, do you expect more than the 10% USB speed increase reported
                in post #3779?
              • James Stewart
                ... Maybe. What is odd is that I could never get more the USB-1.0 (12MB/S) mode detected when using the Kurobox Kernel on my LS in the first place. I wonder
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 19, 2005
                • 0 Attachment
                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "haberschnasel"
                  <haberschnasel@y...> wrote:
                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Stewart"
                  > <wartstew@y...> wrote:
                  > > What I'd like to speed up is USB throughput, but we need to
                  > > re-compile the kernel to do that (take the "debug" mode out of USB).
                  >
                  > This would be great. Increasing network throughput would be great,
                  > too. But, do you expect more than the 10% USB speed increase reported
                  > in post #3779?

                  Maybe. What is odd is that I could never get more the USB-1.0
                  (12MB/S) mode detected when using the Kurobox Kernel on my LS in the
                  first place. I wonder if the same thing happens on the Kuroboxes with
                  that same kernel? In this case the 6.somthing MB transfer rate might
                  be about right once you deal with all the overhead.

                  I guess I need to benchmark my network performance. Since I'm using
                  mostly current Samba release on my LS, It does seem faster, but maybe
                  I'm a victim of a placebo effect.

                  At least I know I'm running the hard drive in DMA mode and am getting
                  over 26MB/S out of it (on the slow 5400RPM Samsung 120MB drive). I
                  had found a post where someone got info from Melco/Buffalo that the LS
                  is only capable of 29MB/S bus speed anyway, so If I could get USB
                  performance of about half that I think I would be happy.

                  -------

                  A side note, my fan started getting noisy. Because replacement is a
                  little tricky, I pulled it out and pulled the plastic sticker off the
                  hub, put a drop of oil into the bearing and put the sticker back on.
                  It is now nice and quiet again. I've done this trick in the past with
                  these kind of cheap fans and got a lot of extra life out of them.
                • gkennydunn
                  Wondering where your local disk stats came from. I ve tried a few things with varying success but now have hdparm -tT /dev/hda /dev/hda: Timing buffer-cache
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 21, 2005
                  • 0 Attachment
                    Wondering where your local disk stats came from. I've tried a few
                    things with varying success but now have

                    hdparm -tT /dev/hda

                    /dev/hda:
                    Timing buffer-cache reads: 128 MB in 1.82 seconds = 70.33 MB/sec
                    Timing buffered disk reads: 64 MB in 2.02 seconds = 31.68 MB/sec

                    Obviously, this whole discussion belongs in a thread away from any
                    memory issues which we would all like to overcome.

                    an LS1 I just received a few weeks back

                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Stewart"
                    <wartstew@y...> wrote:
                    > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "haberschnasel"
                    > <haberschnasel@y...> wrote:
                    > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Stewart"
                    > > <wartstew@y...> wrote:
                    > > > What I'd like to speed up is USB throughput, but we need to
                    > > > re-compile the kernel to do that (take the "debug" mode out of USB).
                    > >
                    > > This would be great. Increasing network throughput would be great,
                    > > too. But, do you expect more than the 10% USB speed increase reported
                    > > in post #3779?
                    >
                    > Maybe. What is odd is that I could never get more the USB-1.0
                    > (12MB/S) mode detected when using the Kurobox Kernel on my LS in the
                    > first place. I wonder if the same thing happens on the Kuroboxes with
                    > that same kernel? In this case the 6.somthing MB transfer rate might
                    > be about right once you deal with all the overhead.
                    >
                    > I guess I need to benchmark my network performance. Since I'm using
                    > mostly current Samba release on my LS, It does seem faster, but maybe
                    > I'm a victim of a placebo effect.
                    >
                    > At least I know I'm running the hard drive in DMA mode and am getting
                    > over 26MB/S out of it (on the slow 5400RPM Samsung 120MB drive). I
                    > had found a post where someone got info from Melco/Buffalo that the LS
                    > is only capable of 29MB/S bus speed anyway, so If I could get USB
                    > performance of about half that I think I would be happy.
                    >
                    > -------
                    >
                    > A side note, my fan started getting noisy. Because replacement is a
                    > little tricky, I pulled it out and pulled the plastic sticker off the
                    > hub, put a drop of oil into the bearing and put the sticker back on.
                    > It is now nice and quiet again. I've done this trick in the past with
                    > these kind of cheap fans and got a lot of extra life out of them.
                  • Arias Hung
                    ... Sorry I wasn t more clear. By stating the chipset of the gig ethernet chip I meant to imply that only the gig ethernet driver is compiled into the stock
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 22, 2005
                    • 0 Attachment
                      On Mon, 19 Sep 2005, irvine_stock delivered in simple text monotone:

                      >Arias,
                      >The question is not if the HG uses a 10/100/100 realtek chip. That's
                      >obvious. My HG uses the 8110 chip. The LS1 uses the ADAMtek 983B.
                      >Maybe it is even compatible with the lower speed realtek?
                      >Does anybody know the difference between a RealTek
                      >8100/8110/8139/8169? Are these all bug fixes?

                      Sorry I wasn't more clear. By stating the chipset of the gig ethernet chip I meant to imply that only the gig ethernet driver is compiled into the stock HG kernel. At least in every kernel config I've ever seen for the HG there has never been anything more than four ethernet compile options:

                      CONFIG_NET_ETHERNET=y
                      CONFIG_NET_PCI=y
                      CONFIG_R8169=y
                      RTL8169_JUMBO_FRAME_SUPPORT=y

                      if you find an existing firmware in which a 10/100 card is compiled into a HG firmware, that would be fantastic since I would hate to see such a labor intensive mod (at least for me it would be :) ) be in vain.

                      As alternative to jtag, you could get the serial console with input line working, which would allow you to load a proper kernel without a network connections ( at least our japanese colleagues seem to do it this way ).

                      A
                    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.