Re: Need help for usb automount with Murakasi

  • snatcher93
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 10, 2005
      Well, I was able to make this works well ! For this i had to :
      - correct the startup script error (space missed) => it won't run
      murasaki if you don't correct that !
      - recompile murasaki telling him that the scripts were in
      /etc/murasaki/bin
      - replace the murasaki.usbmap file by the one with the source (very
      important !) and update the .call file to match the device type given
      in the .usbmap

      Now it's perfect : when i switch on/off my usb drive, it mounts
      it/unmount it and update samba/appletalk sharing ! I just have to make
      this works with usb flash storage now ;)

      I hope i'll help people that would like to do the same ;)
      If you want to pick up some files, you can get my system image here :
      http://www.kurobox.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=708

      C U

      Sylver
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "downlalaway"

    • chano22000
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 11, 2005
        Hello again,

        Congratulations Silver for your job !

        I've just uploaded your v3 image which you mention is intended only
        for the Kurobox HG.
        I own a standard PPC LS (HD-HLAN) which is more or less a standard
        Kurobox with two USB ports.
        I am very interested using your image to only update the
        USB/Murasaki related files of my stock firmware.

        1) Do you have reason to think that the updates you have made would
        not run on my Linkstation ? (are the two USB handled or does it
        require some further adaptation ?)
        2) Which are the files/directories, I need to copy/update from your
        image ?

        Thank you very much in advance for you help and "How to".

        Philippe Deysine (chano22000)

        <snatcher93@r...> wrote:
        > Well, I was able to make this works well ! For this i had to :
        > - correct the startup script error (space missed) => it won't run
        > murasaki if you don't correct that !
        > - recompile murasaki telling him that the scripts were in
        > /etc/murasaki/bin
        > - replace the murasaki.usbmap file by the one with the source (very
        > important !) and update the .call file to match the device type
        given
        > in the .usbmap
        >
        > Now it's perfect : when i switch on/off my usb drive, it mounts
        > it/unmount it and update samba/appletalk sharing ! I just have to
        make
        > this works with usb flash storage now ;)
        >
        > I hope i'll help people that would like to do the same ;)
        > If you want to pick up some files, you can get my system image
        here :
        > http://www.kurobox.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=708
        >
        > C U
        >
        > Sylver
      • snatcher93
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 11, 2005
          Thanks ;)
          You can get the files i updated on my kurobox to make all that thing
          works (it's really amazing that people at Buffalo were not able to
          make this works correctly ! Ok it took me a long time, but, hey that's
          not my job ! I'm quite new to linux world). Get that file :
          http://sylver78.free.fr/kurobox/murasaki_kuro.tar.gz
          upload it in the root directory of your linkstation (general remark :
          do this only on PPC based hardware, not MIPS !) and "tar xzfv
          murasaki_kuro.tar.gz" in the root directory. Reboot and it should work ;)
          In the original mounting script, only 1 USB device was handled (line
          to handle second usb devices were in comment), as there is also 2 USB
          connectors in the KuroBox HG, i modified the script so it can handle 2
          USB drives devices ;)

          Tell us if it works (it should ;)

          Sylver

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "chano22000"
          <philippe.deysine@l...> wrote:
          > Hello again,
          >
          > Congratulations Silver for your job !
          >
          > I've just uploaded your v3 image which you mention is intended only
          > for the Kurobox HG.
          > I own a standard PPC LS (HD-HLAN) which is more or less a standard
          > Kurobox with two USB ports.
          > I am very interested using your image to only update the
          > USB/Murasaki related files of my stock firmware.
          >
          > 1) Do you have reason to think that the updates you have made would
          > not run on my Linkstation ? (are the two USB handled or does it
          > require some further adaptation ?)
          > 2) Which are the files/directories, I need to copy/update from your
          > image ?
          >
          > Thank you very much in advance for you help and "How to".
          >
          > Philippe Deysine (chano22000)
          >

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "snatcher93"
          > <snatcher93@r...> wrote:
          > > Well, I was able to make this works well ! For this i had to :
          > > - correct the startup script error (space missed) => it won't run
          > > murasaki if you don't correct that !
          > > - recompile murasaki telling him that the scripts were in
          > > /etc/murasaki/bin
          > > - replace the murasaki.usbmap file by the one with the source (very
          > > important !) and update the .call file to match the device type
          > given
          > > in the .usbmap
          > >
          > > Now it's perfect : when i switch on/off my usb drive, it mounts
          > > it/unmount it and update samba/appletalk sharing ! I just have to
          > make
          > > this works with usb flash storage now ;)
          > >
          > > I hope i'll help people that would like to do the same ;)
          > > If you want to pick up some files, you can get my system image
          > here :
          > > http://www.kurobox.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=708
          > >
          > > C U
          > >
          > > Sylver
        • quimmfy
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 16, 2005
            Funny you should say that i'm having exactly the same problem with
            my linkstation. I'm trying to get 2 usb hdds working, i've edited
            the mount_sd.sh to accept two hdds but when i turn them on it
            doesn't mount them as windows shares.

            Is this a common problem? And has anyone else experienced it?

            Thanks

            <ernie73@g...> wrote:
            > As far as I remember, there was a restart necessary when I plugged
            in a usb
            > drive. No automated mounting. I converted to debian and haven't
            tried a
            > hotplug since.
            >

            > _____

            t=ms&k=Communication+and+networking&w1=Communi

            cation+and+networking&w2=Buffalo+linkstation&w3=Wireless+communicatio
            n+and+n
            > etworking&c=3&s=102&.sig=FI1hDus-Kg_Fc-ah27gPDQ> and networking
            >
            > Buffalo
            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
            t=ms&k=Buffalo+linkstation&w1=Communication+an

            d+networking&w2=Buffalo+linkstation&w3=Wireless+communication+and+net
            working
            > &c=3&s=102&.sig=JuNxhUybHVSskKc672IyrA> linkstation
            >
            > Wireless
            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
            t=ms&k=Wireless+communication+and+networking&w

            1=Communication+and+networking&w2=Buffalo+linkstation&w3=Wireless+com
            municat
            > ion+and+networking&c=3&s=102&.sig=hf7OqG0BCqzOtbSlUM9Fmg>
            communication and
            > networking
            >

            > _____
            >
            > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
            >

            > * Visit your group "LinkStation_General
            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LinkStation_General> " on the web.

            subject=Unsubscribe>

            > _____
          • quimmfy
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 16, 2005
              dude it might be worth writing a howto on this topic, i'm having
              trouble getting two usb hdds to work with my mips linkstation.

              Thanks

              <snatcher93@r...> wrote:
              > Then, this is obviously a bug, as all is present to allow
              automount
              > (kernel compiled with good options, murasaki catching hotplug
              events
              > (connect/disconnect), mount script that got some specific parts to
              > handle a call from the startup script or from murasaki handler,
              dynamic
              > samba/netatalk sharing update ...
              > But if it's not working on a linkstation, it won't work on my
              > kurobox ... So, i have to found what the problem is ;)
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Sylver
              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Bertram Doerfler"
              > <ernie73@g...> wrote:
              > > As far as I remember, there was a restart necessary when I
              plugged in
              > a usb
              > > drive. No automated mounting. I converted to debian and haven't
              tried
              > > hotplug since.
            • snatcher93
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 22, 2005
                I can tell what i changed to make things works (so you can try to do
                the same in the linkstation v2) :
                - I get murasaki sources
                http://www.dotaster.com/~shuu/linux/murasaki/0.8/11/murasaki-
                0.8.11.tar.gz
                - I changed the scripts directory to /etc/murasaki/bin and compiled
                (in make.defs, i changed "SCRIPT_DIR=/usr/lib/$(LM)"
                to "SCRIPT_DIR=/etc/murasaki/bin"), but putting script
                in /usr/lib/murasaki should be enought (maybe no need to recompile).
                - I replaced the /etc/murasaki/murasaki.usbmap with the one provided
                with murasaki source code
                - I uncommented some lines in /etc/murasaki/bin/sd_mount.sh so the
                script can handle 2 HDD devices. (get the script from my archive
                posted in a previous message to check what i changed ;)

                If things do not works, you can check what's wrong by :
                - Checking syslog (/var/log/messages)
                - Starting the script from shell : "/etc/init.d/murasaki stop"
                & "/etc/init.d/murasaki start" and check the output ;)

                Hope this may help you !

                Sylver

                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "quimmfy" <quimmfy@y...>
                wrote:
                > dude it might be worth writing a howto on this topic, i'm having
                > trouble getting two usb hdds to work with my mips linkstation.
                >
                > Thanks
                >
                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "snatcher93"
                > <snatcher93@r...> wrote:
                > > Then, this is obviously a bug, as all is present to allow
                > automount
                > > (kernel compiled with good options, murasaki catching hotplug
                > events
                > > (connect/disconnect), mount script that got some specific parts
                > > handle a call from the startup script or from murasaki handler,
                > dynamic
                > > samba/netatalk sharing update ...
                > > But if it's not working on a linkstation, it won't work on my
                > > kurobox ... So, i have to found what the problem is ;)
                > >
                > > Thanks,
                > >
                > > Sylver
                > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Bertram Doerfler"
                > > <ernie73@g...> wrote:
                > > > As far as I remember, there was a restart necessary when I
                > plugged in
                > > a usb
                > > > drive. No automated mounting. I converted to debian and haven't
                > tried
                > > > hotplug since.
              • johnnykwc
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 1, 2005
                  I followed the same instructions to change the path and recompiled.
                  But when I ran "/etc/init.d/murasaki start" I got an error:

                  root@KURO_FS250:/etc/init.d# /etc/init.d/murasaki start
                  modprobe: Can't open dependencies file
                  /lib/modules/2.4.17_mvl21/modules.dep (No such file or directory)
                  mv: cannot stat `/etc/fstab.murasaki_save': No such file or directory

                  Any ideas?

                  Thanks!

                  Johnny

                  <snatcher93@r...> wrote:
> [...]
                  > > that's the reason a reboot often makes it work. In which case
                  > > automounting may be unreliable in practice. Also mine mounts only with
                  > > mount -t vfat /dev/sda /mnt/mntpoint whereas most would suggest
                  > > /dev/sda1 would be more suitable. Whether this is a bug or just a
                  > > strangeness of the modules mix?
                  > >

                  > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "snatcher93"
                  > > <snatcher93@r...> wrote:
                  > > > I installed latest murasaki stable version (0.8.11), but the mount
                  > > > script is still not running when inserting an usb drive :(
                  > > > But i was able to make the 'samba/appletalk sharing updating'
                  enabled
                  > > > by replacing my '/bin/mkcode' by the one in the linkstation :)
                  > > >
                  > > > I think that i'll ask some help from the author of murasaki, if
                  i got
                  > > > the clue of the problem, i'll tell you as there is a similar

                • snatcher93
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 2, 2005
                    On my kurobox, i do have a file called
                    /lib/modules/2.4.17_mvl21/modules.dep ! Do you use your original
                    murasaki script, or the one from my kurobox ? (it may be a bad idea to
                    use my scripts, it should be better to start using the original
                    scripts first !)
                    You should check /var/log/messages file, it may contain usefull
                    informations on what's happening !
                    Good luck,

                    Sylver

                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "johnnykwc"

                  • johnnykwc
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 11, 2005
                      Can you post your image here?
                      I cannot get it from kurobox.com.
                      BTW I have the KuroBox HG. Maybe the image is different.

                      Thanks!

                      Johnny