Re: Need help for usb automount with Murakasi

  • snatcher93
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 8, 2005
      Then, this is obviously a bug, as all is present to allow automount
      (kernel compiled with good options, murasaki catching hotplug events
      (connect/disconnect), mount script that got some specific parts to
      handle a call from the startup script or from murasaki handler, dynamic
      samba/netatalk sharing update ...
      But if it's not working on a linkstation, it won't work on my
      kurobox ... So, i have to found what the problem is ;)

      Thanks,

      Sylver
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Bertram Doerfler"
      <ernie73@g...> wrote:
      > As far as I remember, there was a restart necessary when I plugged in
      a usb
      > drive. No automated mounting. I converted to debian and haven't tried
      > hotplug since.
    • snatcher93
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 9, 2005
        I installed latest murasaki stable version (0.8.11), but the mount
        script is still not running when inserting an usb drive :(
        But i was able to make the 'samba/appletalk sharing updating' enabled
        by replacing my '/bin/mkcode' by the one in the linkstation :)

        I think that i'll ask some help from the author of murasaki, if i got
        the clue of the problem, i'll tell you as there is a similar problem
        on the linkstation ;)

        Sylver

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "snatcher93"
        <snatcher93@r...> wrote:
        > Then, this is obviously a bug, as all is present to allow automount
        > (kernel compiled with good options, murasaki catching hotplug
        events
        > (connect/disconnect), mount script that got some specific parts to
        > handle a call from the startup script or from murasaki handler,
        dynamic
        > samba/netatalk sharing update ...
        > But if it's not working on a linkstation, it won't work on my
        > kurobox ... So, i have to found what the problem is ;)
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Sylver
        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Bertram Doerfler"
        > <ernie73@g...> wrote:
        > > As far as I remember, there was a restart necessary when I
        plugged in
        > a usb
        > > drive. No automated mounting. I converted to debian and haven't
        tried
        > > hotplug since.
      • downlalaway
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 9, 2005
          Hi Sylver,

          I have an LS1 running Debian, and get pretty good connection to a usb
          hard drive (and most other devices) using usb 2 -as in
          http://linkstationwiki.org/Articles/DebianUSBDevices . I didn't use
          the LS OS for more than a few days.

          To be honest never tried to get automount operating since very rarely
          use it. The debian I have has no /etc/murasaki just a usb-storage.o
          driver under
          /lib/modules/2.4.17_mvl21-sandpoint/kernel/drivers/usb/storage
          These modules have been fudged in using a mix of ls and kuro-box
          drivers, autofs and hotplug installed through apt-get.
          kuro-box.com still seems to be down -I take it you've looked at
          linkstationwiki?
          I know little about the drivers or how to build a set but others do
          and would like to build a better one - as in
          http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/2_198_0.html

          I'm also told that hotplug doesn't work well on 2.4.17 (until 2.6) so
          that's the reason a reboot often makes it work. In which case
          automounting may be unreliable in practice. Also mine mounts only with
          mount -t vfat /dev/sda /mnt/mntpoint whereas most would suggest
          /dev/sda1 would be more suitable. Whether this is a bug or just a
          strangeness of the modules mix?

          <snatcher93@r...> wrote:
          > I installed latest murasaki stable version (0.8.11), but the mount
          > script is still not running when inserting an usb drive :(
          > But i was able to make the 'samba/appletalk sharing updating' enabled
          > by replacing my '/bin/mkcode' by the one in the linkstation :)
          >
          > I think that i'll ask some help from the author of murasaki, if i got
          > the clue of the problem, i'll tell you as there is a similar problem
          > on the linkstation ;)
          >
          > Sylver
          >
          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "snatcher93"
          > <snatcher93@r...> wrote:
          > > Then, this is obviously a bug, as all is present to allow automount
          > > (kernel compiled with good options, murasaki catching hotplug
          > events
          > > (connect/disconnect), mount script that got some specific parts to
          > > handle a call from the startup script or from murasaki handler,
          > dynamic
          > > samba/netatalk sharing update ...
          > > But if it's not working on a linkstation, it won't work on my
          > > kurobox ... So, i have to found what the problem is ;)
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > >
          > > Sylver
          > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Bertram Doerfler"
          > > <ernie73@g...> wrote:
          > > > As far as I remember, there was a restart necessary when I
          > plugged in
          > > a usb
          > > > drive. No automated mounting. I converted to debian and haven't
          > tried
          > > > hotplug since.
        • snatcher93
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 10, 2005
            Well, I was able to make this works well ! For this i had to :
            - correct the startup script error (space missed) => it won't run
            murasaki if you don't correct that !
            - recompile murasaki telling him that the scripts were in
            /etc/murasaki/bin
            - replace the murasaki.usbmap file by the one with the source (very
            important !) and update the .call file to match the device type given
            in the .usbmap

            Now it's perfect : when i switch on/off my usb drive, it mounts
            it/unmount it and update samba/appletalk sharing ! I just have to make
            this works with usb flash storage now ;)

            I hope i'll help people that would like to do the same ;)
            If you want to pick up some files, you can get my system image here :
            http://www.kurobox.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=708

            C U

            Sylver
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "downlalaway"

          • chano22000
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 11, 2005
              Hello again,

              Congratulations Silver for your job !

              I've just uploaded your v3 image which you mention is intended only
              for the Kurobox HG.
              I own a standard PPC LS (HD-HLAN) which is more or less a standard
              Kurobox with two USB ports.
              I am very interested using your image to only update the
              USB/Murasaki related files of my stock firmware.

              1) Do you have reason to think that the updates you have made would
              not run on my Linkstation ? (are the two USB handled or does it
              require some further adaptation ?)
              2) Which are the files/directories, I need to copy/update from your
              image ?

              Thank you very much in advance for you help and "How to".

              Philippe Deysine (chano22000)

              <snatcher93@r...> wrote:
              > Well, I was able to make this works well ! For this i had to :
              > - correct the startup script error (space missed) => it won't run
              > murasaki if you don't correct that !
              > - recompile murasaki telling him that the scripts were in
              > /etc/murasaki/bin
              > - replace the murasaki.usbmap file by the one with the source (very
              > important !) and update the .call file to match the device type
              given
              > in the .usbmap
              >
              > Now it's perfect : when i switch on/off my usb drive, it mounts
              > it/unmount it and update samba/appletalk sharing ! I just have to
              make
              > this works with usb flash storage now ;)
              >
              > I hope i'll help people that would like to do the same ;)
              > If you want to pick up some files, you can get my system image
              here :
              > http://www.kurobox.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=708
              >
              > C U
              >
              > Sylver
            • snatcher93
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 11, 2005
                Thanks ;)
                You can get the files i updated on my kurobox to make all that thing
                works (it's really amazing that people at Buffalo were not able to
                make this works correctly ! Ok it took me a long time, but, hey that's
                not my job ! I'm quite new to linux world). Get that file :
                http://sylver78.free.fr/kurobox/murasaki_kuro.tar.gz
                upload it in the root directory of your linkstation (general remark :
                do this only on PPC based hardware, not MIPS !) and "tar xzfv
                murasaki_kuro.tar.gz" in the root directory. Reboot and it should work ;)
                In the original mounting script, only 1 USB device was handled (line
                to handle second usb devices were in comment), as there is also 2 USB
                connectors in the KuroBox HG, i modified the script so it can handle 2
                USB drives devices ;)

                Tell us if it works (it should ;)

                Sylver

                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "chano22000"
                <philippe.deysine@l...> wrote:
                > Hello again,
                >
                > Congratulations Silver for your job !
                >
                > I've just uploaded your v3 image which you mention is intended only
                > for the Kurobox HG.
                > I own a standard PPC LS (HD-HLAN) which is more or less a standard
                > Kurobox with two USB ports.
                > I am very interested using your image to only update the
                > USB/Murasaki related files of my stock firmware.
                >
                > 1) Do you have reason to think that the updates you have made would
                > not run on my Linkstation ? (are the two USB handled or does it
                > require some further adaptation ?)
                > 2) Which are the files/directories, I need to copy/update from your
                > image ?
                >
                > Thank you very much in advance for you help and "How to".
                >
                > Philippe Deysine (chano22000)
                >

                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "snatcher93"
                > <snatcher93@r...> wrote:
                > > Well, I was able to make this works well ! For this i had to :
                > > - correct the startup script error (space missed) => it won't run
                > > murasaki if you don't correct that !
                > > - recompile murasaki telling him that the scripts were in
                > > /etc/murasaki/bin
                > > - replace the murasaki.usbmap file by the one with the source (very
                > > important !) and update the .call file to match the device type
                > given
                > > in the .usbmap
                > >
                > > Now it's perfect : when i switch on/off my usb drive, it mounts
                > > it/unmount it and update samba/appletalk sharing ! I just have to
                > make
                > > this works with usb flash storage now ;)
                > >
                > > I hope i'll help people that would like to do the same ;)
                > > If you want to pick up some files, you can get my system image
                > here :
                > > http://www.kurobox.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=708
                > >
                > > C U
                > >
                > > Sylver
              • quimmfy
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 16, 2005
                  Funny you should say that i'm having exactly the same problem with
                  my linkstation. I'm trying to get 2 usb hdds working, i've edited
                  the mount_sd.sh to accept two hdds but when i turn them on it
                  doesn't mount them as windows shares.

                  Is this a common problem? And has anyone else experienced it?

                  Thanks

                  <ernie73@g...> wrote:
                  > As far as I remember, there was a restart necessary when I plugged
                  in a usb
                  > drive. No automated mounting. I converted to debian and haven't
                  tried a
                  > hotplug since.
                  >

                  > _____

                  t=ms&k=Communication+and+networking&w1=Communi

                  cation+and+networking&w2=Buffalo+linkstation&w3=Wireless+communicatio
                  n+and+n
                  > etworking&c=3&s=102&.sig=FI1hDus-Kg_Fc-ah27gPDQ> and networking
                  >
                  > Buffalo
                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                  t=ms&k=Buffalo+linkstation&w1=Communication+an

                  d+networking&w2=Buffalo+linkstation&w3=Wireless+communication+and+net
                  working
                  > &c=3&s=102&.sig=JuNxhUybHVSskKc672IyrA> linkstation
                  >
                  > Wireless
                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                  t=ms&k=Wireless+communication+and+networking&w

                  1=Communication+and+networking&w2=Buffalo+linkstation&w3=Wireless+com
                  municat
                  > ion+and+networking&c=3&s=102&.sig=hf7OqG0BCqzOtbSlUM9Fmg>
                  communication and
                  > networking
                  >

                  > _____
                  >
                  > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                  >

                  > * Visit your group "LinkStation_General
                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LinkStation_General> " on the web.

                  subject=Unsubscribe>

                  > _____
                • quimmfy
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 16, 2005
                    dude it might be worth writing a howto on this topic, i'm having
                    trouble getting two usb hdds to work with my mips linkstation.

                    Thanks

                    <snatcher93@r...> wrote:
                    > Then, this is obviously a bug, as all is present to allow
                    automount
                    > (kernel compiled with good options, murasaki catching hotplug
                    events
                    > (connect/disconnect), mount script that got some specific parts to
                    > handle a call from the startup script or from murasaki handler,
                    dynamic
                    > samba/netatalk sharing update ...
                    > But if it's not working on a linkstation, it won't work on my
                    > kurobox ... So, i have to found what the problem is ;)
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    >
                    > Sylver
                    > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Bertram Doerfler"
                    > <ernie73@g...> wrote:
                    > > As far as I remember, there was a restart necessary when I
                    plugged in
                    > a usb
                    > > drive. No automated mounting. I converted to debian and haven't
                    tried
                    > > hotplug since.
                  • snatcher93
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 22, 2005
                      I can tell what i changed to make things works (so you can try to do
                      the same in the linkstation v2) :
                      - I get murasaki sources
                      http://www.dotaster.com/~shuu/linux/murasaki/0.8/11/murasaki-
                      0.8.11.tar.gz
                      - I changed the scripts directory to /etc/murasaki/bin and compiled
                      (in make.defs, i changed "SCRIPT_DIR=/usr/lib/$(LM)"
                      to "SCRIPT_DIR=/etc/murasaki/bin"), but putting script
                      in /usr/lib/murasaki should be enought (maybe no need to recompile).
                      - I replaced the /etc/murasaki/murasaki.usbmap with the one provided
                      with murasaki source code
                      - I uncommented some lines in /etc/murasaki/bin/sd_mount.sh so the
                      script can handle 2 HDD devices. (get the script from my archive
                      posted in a previous message to check what i changed ;)

                      If things do not works, you can check what's wrong by :
                      - Checking syslog (/var/log/messages)
                      - Starting the script from shell : "/etc/init.d/murasaki stop"
                      & "/etc/init.d/murasaki start" and check the output ;)

                      Hope this may help you !

                      Sylver

                      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "quimmfy" <quimmfy@y...>
                      wrote:
                      > dude it might be worth writing a howto on this topic, i'm having
                      > trouble getting two usb hdds to work with my mips linkstation.
                      >
                      > Thanks
                      >
                      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "snatcher93"
                      > <snatcher93@r...> wrote:
                      > > Then, this is obviously a bug, as all is present to allow
                      > automount
                      > > (kernel compiled with good options, murasaki catching hotplug
                      > events
                      > > (connect/disconnect), mount script that got some specific parts
                      > > handle a call from the startup script or from murasaki handler,
                      > dynamic
                      > > samba/netatalk sharing update ...
                      > > But if it's not working on a linkstation, it won't work on my
                      > > kurobox ... So, i have to found what the problem is ;)
                      > >
                      > > Thanks,
                      > >
                      > > Sylver
                      > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Bertram Doerfler"
                      > > <ernie73@g...> wrote:
                      > > > As far as I remember, there was a restart necessary when I
                      > plugged in
                      > > a usb
                      > > > drive. No automated mounting. I converted to debian and haven't
                      > tried
                      > > > hotplug since.
                    • johnnykwc
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 1, 2005
                        I followed the same instructions to change the path and recompiled.
                        But when I ran "/etc/init.d/murasaki start" I got an error:

                        root@KURO_FS250:/etc/init.d# /etc/init.d/murasaki start
                        modprobe: Can't open dependencies file
                        /lib/modules/2.4.17_mvl21/modules.dep (No such file or directory)
                        mv: cannot stat `/etc/fstab.murasaki_save': No such file or directory

                        Any ideas?

                        Thanks!

                        Johnny

                        <snatcher93@r...> wrote:
> [...]
                        > > that's the reason a reboot often makes it work. In which case
                        > > automounting may be unreliable in practice. Also mine mounts only with
                        > > mount -t vfat /dev/sda /mnt/mntpoint whereas most would suggest
                        > > /dev/sda1 would be more suitable. Whether this is a bug or just a
                        > > strangeness of the modules mix?
                        > >

                        > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "snatcher93"
                        > > <snatcher93@r...> wrote:
                        > > > I installed latest murasaki stable version (0.8.11), but the mount
                        > > > script is still not running when inserting an usb drive :(
                        > > > But i was able to make the 'samba/appletalk sharing updating'
                        enabled
                        > > > by replacing my '/bin/mkcode' by the one in the linkstation :)
                        > > >
                        > > > I think that i'll ask some help from the author of murasaki, if
                        i got
                        > > > the clue of the problem, i'll tell you as there is a similar

                      • snatcher93
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 2, 2005
                          On my kurobox, i do have a file called
                          /lib/modules/2.4.17_mvl21/modules.dep ! Do you use your original
                          murasaki script, or the one from my kurobox ? (it may be a bad idea to
                          use my scripts, it should be better to start using the original
                          scripts first !)
                          You should check /var/log/messages file, it may contain usefull
                          informations on what's happening !
                          Good luck,

                          Sylver

                          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "johnnykwc"

                        • johnnykwc
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 11, 2005
                            Can you post your image here?
                            I cannot get it from kurobox.com.
                            BTW I have the KuroBox HG. Maybe the image is different.

                            Thanks!

                            Johnny