RE: [LinkStation_General] Re: Need help for usb automount with Murakasi

  • Bertram Doerfler
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 8, 2005

      As far as I remember, there was a restart necessary when I plugged in a usb drive. No automated mounting. I converted to debian and haven’t tried a hotplug since…

      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 8, 2005
        Then, this is obviously a bug, as all is present to allow automount
        (kernel compiled with good options, murasaki catching hotplug events
        (connect/disconnect), mount script that got some specific parts to
        handle a call from the startup script or from murasaki handler, dynamic
        samba/netatalk sharing update ...
        But if it's not working on a linkstation, it won't work on my
        kurobox ... So, i have to found what the problem is ;)

        Thanks,

        Sylver
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Bertram Doerfler"
        <ernie73@g...> wrote:
        > As far as I remember, there was a restart necessary when I plugged in
        a usb
        > drive. No automated mounting. I converted to debian and haven't tried
        > hotplug since.
      • snatcher93
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 9, 2005
          I installed latest murasaki stable version (0.8.11), but the mount
          script is still not running when inserting an usb drive :(
          But i was able to make the 'samba/appletalk sharing updating' enabled
          by replacing my '/bin/mkcode' by the one in the linkstation :)

          I think that i'll ask some help from the author of murasaki, if i got
          the clue of the problem, i'll tell you as there is a similar problem
          on the linkstation ;)

          Sylver

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "snatcher93"
          <snatcher93@r...> wrote:
          > Then, this is obviously a bug, as all is present to allow automount
          > (kernel compiled with good options, murasaki catching hotplug
          events
          > (connect/disconnect), mount script that got some specific parts to
          > handle a call from the startup script or from murasaki handler,
          dynamic
          > samba/netatalk sharing update ...
          > But if it's not working on a linkstation, it won't work on my
          > kurobox ... So, i have to found what the problem is ;)
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Sylver
          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Bertram Doerfler"
          > <ernie73@g...> wrote:
          > > As far as I remember, there was a restart necessary when I
          plugged in
          > a usb
          > > drive. No automated mounting. I converted to debian and haven't
          tried
          > > hotplug since.
        • downlalaway
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 9, 2005
            Hi Sylver,

            I have an LS1 running Debian, and get pretty good connection to a usb
            hard drive (and most other devices) using usb 2 -as in
            http://linkstationwiki.org/Articles/DebianUSBDevices . I didn't use
            the LS OS for more than a few days.

            To be honest never tried to get automount operating since very rarely
            use it. The debian I have has no /etc/murasaki just a usb-storage.o
            driver under
            /lib/modules/2.4.17_mvl21-sandpoint/kernel/drivers/usb/storage
            These modules have been fudged in using a mix of ls and kuro-box
            drivers, autofs and hotplug installed through apt-get.
            kuro-box.com still seems to be down -I take it you've looked at
            linkstationwiki?
            I know little about the drivers or how to build a set but others do
            and would like to build a better one - as in
            http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/2_198_0.html

            I'm also told that hotplug doesn't work well on 2.4.17 (until 2.6) so
            that's the reason a reboot often makes it work. In which case
            automounting may be unreliable in practice. Also mine mounts only with
            mount -t vfat /dev/sda /mnt/mntpoint whereas most would suggest
            /dev/sda1 would be more suitable. Whether this is a bug or just a
            strangeness of the modules mix?

            <snatcher93@r...> wrote:
            > I installed latest murasaki stable version (0.8.11), but the mount
            > script is still not running when inserting an usb drive :(
            > But i was able to make the 'samba/appletalk sharing updating' enabled
            > by replacing my '/bin/mkcode' by the one in the linkstation :)
            >
            > I think that i'll ask some help from the author of murasaki, if i got
            > the clue of the problem, i'll tell you as there is a similar problem
            > on the linkstation ;)
            >
            > Sylver
            >
            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "snatcher93"
            > <snatcher93@r...> wrote:
            > > Then, this is obviously a bug, as all is present to allow automount
            > > (kernel compiled with good options, murasaki catching hotplug
            > events
            > > (connect/disconnect), mount script that got some specific parts to
            > > handle a call from the startup script or from murasaki handler,
            > dynamic
            > > samba/netatalk sharing update ...
            > > But if it's not working on a linkstation, it won't work on my
            > > kurobox ... So, i have to found what the problem is ;)
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > >
            > > Sylver
            > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Bertram Doerfler"
            > > <ernie73@g...> wrote:
            > > > As far as I remember, there was a restart necessary when I
            > plugged in
            > > a usb
            > > > drive. No automated mounting. I converted to debian and haven't
            > tried
            > > > hotplug since.
          • snatcher93
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 10, 2005
              Well, I was able to make this works well ! For this i had to :
              - correct the startup script error (space missed) => it won't run
              murasaki if you don't correct that !
              - recompile murasaki telling him that the scripts were in
              /etc/murasaki/bin
              - replace the murasaki.usbmap file by the one with the source (very
              important !) and update the .call file to match the device type given
              in the .usbmap

              Now it's perfect : when i switch on/off my usb drive, it mounts
              it/unmount it and update samba/appletalk sharing ! I just have to make
              this works with usb flash storage now ;)

              I hope i'll help people that would like to do the same ;)
              If you want to pick up some files, you can get my system image here :
              http://www.kurobox.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=708

              C U

              Sylver
              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "downlalaway"

            • chano22000
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 11, 2005
                Hello again,

                Congratulations Silver for your job !

                I've just uploaded your v3 image which you mention is intended only
                for the Kurobox HG.
                I own a standard PPC LS (HD-HLAN) which is more or less a standard
                Kurobox with two USB ports.
                I am very interested using your image to only update the
                USB/Murasaki related files of my stock firmware.

                1) Do you have reason to think that the updates you have made would
                not run on my Linkstation ? (are the two USB handled or does it
                require some further adaptation ?)
                2) Which are the files/directories, I need to copy/update from your
                image ?

                Thank you very much in advance for you help and "How to".

                Philippe Deysine (chano22000)

                <snatcher93@r...> wrote:
                > Well, I was able to make this works well ! For this i had to :
                > - correct the startup script error (space missed) => it won't run
                > murasaki if you don't correct that !
                > - recompile murasaki telling him that the scripts were in
                > /etc/murasaki/bin
                > - replace the murasaki.usbmap file by the one with the source (very
                > important !) and update the .call file to match the device type
                given
                > in the .usbmap
                >
                > Now it's perfect : when i switch on/off my usb drive, it mounts
                > it/unmount it and update samba/appletalk sharing ! I just have to
                make
                > this works with usb flash storage now ;)
                >
                > I hope i'll help people that would like to do the same ;)
                > If you want to pick up some files, you can get my system image
                here :
                > http://www.kurobox.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=708
                >
                > C U
                >
                > Sylver
              • snatcher93
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 11, 2005
                  Thanks ;)
                  You can get the files i updated on my kurobox to make all that thing
                  works (it's really amazing that people at Buffalo were not able to
                  make this works correctly ! Ok it took me a long time, but, hey that's
                  not my job ! I'm quite new to linux world). Get that file :
                  http://sylver78.free.fr/kurobox/murasaki_kuro.tar.gz
                  upload it in the root directory of your linkstation (general remark :
                  do this only on PPC based hardware, not MIPS !) and "tar xzfv
                  murasaki_kuro.tar.gz" in the root directory. Reboot and it should work ;)
                  In the original mounting script, only 1 USB device was handled (line
                  to handle second usb devices were in comment), as there is also 2 USB
                  connectors in the KuroBox HG, i modified the script so it can handle 2
                  USB drives devices ;)

                  Tell us if it works (it should ;)

                  Sylver

                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "chano22000"
                  <philippe.deysine@l...> wrote:
                  > Hello again,
                  >
                  > Congratulations Silver for your job !
                  >
                  > I've just uploaded your v3 image which you mention is intended only
                  > for the Kurobox HG.
                  > I own a standard PPC LS (HD-HLAN) which is more or less a standard
                  > Kurobox with two USB ports.
                  > I am very interested using your image to only update the
                  > USB/Murasaki related files of my stock firmware.
                  >
                  > 1) Do you have reason to think that the updates you have made would
                  > not run on my Linkstation ? (are the two USB handled or does it
                  > require some further adaptation ?)
                  > 2) Which are the files/directories, I need to copy/update from your
                  > image ?
                  >
                  > Thank you very much in advance for you help and "How to".
                  >
                  > Philippe Deysine (chano22000)
                  >

                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "snatcher93"
                  > <snatcher93@r...> wrote:
                  > > Well, I was able to make this works well ! For this i had to :
                  > > - correct the startup script error (space missed) => it won't run
                  > > murasaki if you don't correct that !
                  > > - recompile murasaki telling him that the scripts were in
                  > > /etc/murasaki/bin
                  > > - replace the murasaki.usbmap file by the one with the source (very
                  > > important !) and update the .call file to match the device type
                  > given
                  > > in the .usbmap
                  > >
                  > > Now it's perfect : when i switch on/off my usb drive, it mounts
                  > > it/unmount it and update samba/appletalk sharing ! I just have to
                  > make
                  > > this works with usb flash storage now ;)
                  > >
                  > > I hope i'll help people that would like to do the same ;)
                  > > If you want to pick up some files, you can get my system image
                  > here :
                  > > http://www.kurobox.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=708
                  > >
                  > > C U
                  > >
                  > > Sylver
                • quimmfy
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 16, 2005
                    Funny you should say that i'm having exactly the same problem with
                    my linkstation. I'm trying to get 2 usb hdds working, i've edited
                    the mount_sd.sh to accept two hdds but when i turn them on it
                    doesn't mount them as windows shares.

                    Is this a common problem? And has anyone else experienced it?

                    Thanks

                    <ernie73@g...> wrote:
                    > As far as I remember, there was a restart necessary when I plugged
                    in a usb
                    > drive. No automated mounting. I converted to debian and haven't
                    tried a
                    > hotplug since.
                    >

                    > _____

                    t=ms&k=Communication+and+networking&w1=Communi

                    cation+and+networking&w2=Buffalo+linkstation&w3=Wireless+communicatio
                    n+and+n
                    > etworking&c=3&s=102&.sig=FI1hDus-Kg_Fc-ah27gPDQ> and networking
                    >
                    > Buffalo
                    > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                    t=ms&k=Buffalo+linkstation&w1=Communication+an

                    d+networking&w2=Buffalo+linkstation&w3=Wireless+communication+and+net
                    working
                    > &c=3&s=102&.sig=JuNxhUybHVSskKc672IyrA> linkstation
                    >
                    > Wireless
                    > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                    t=ms&k=Wireless+communication+and+networking&w

                    1=Communication+and+networking&w2=Buffalo+linkstation&w3=Wireless+com
                    municat
                    > ion+and+networking&c=3&s=102&.sig=hf7OqG0BCqzOtbSlUM9Fmg>
                    communication and
                    > networking
                    >

                    > _____
                    >
                    > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                    >

                    > * Visit your group "LinkStation_General
                    > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LinkStation_General> " on the web.

                    subject=Unsubscribe>

                    > _____
                  • quimmfy
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 16, 2005
                      dude it might be worth writing a howto on this topic, i'm having
                      trouble getting two usb hdds to work with my mips linkstation.

                      Thanks

                      <snatcher93@r...> wrote:
                      > Then, this is obviously a bug, as all is present to allow
                      automount
                      > (kernel compiled with good options, murasaki catching hotplug
                      events
                      > (connect/disconnect), mount script that got some specific parts to
                      > handle a call from the startup script or from murasaki handler,
                      dynamic
                      > samba/netatalk sharing update ...
                      > But if it's not working on a linkstation, it won't work on my
                      > kurobox ... So, i have to found what the problem is ;)
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      >
                      > Sylver
                      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Bertram Doerfler"
                      > <ernie73@g...> wrote:
                      > > As far as I remember, there was a restart necessary when I
                      plugged in
                      > a usb
                      > > drive. No automated mounting. I converted to debian and haven't
                      tried
                      > > hotplug since.
                    • snatcher93
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 22, 2005
                        I can tell what i changed to make things works (so you can try to do
                        the same in the linkstation v2) :
                        - I get murasaki sources
                        http://www.dotaster.com/~shuu/linux/murasaki/0.8/11/murasaki-
                        0.8.11.tar.gz
                        - I changed the scripts directory to /etc/murasaki/bin and compiled
                        (in make.defs, i changed "SCRIPT_DIR=/usr/lib/$(LM)"
                        to "SCRIPT_DIR=/etc/murasaki/bin"), but putting script
                        in /usr/lib/murasaki should be enought (maybe no need to recompile).
                        - I replaced the /etc/murasaki/murasaki.usbmap with the one provided
                        with murasaki source code
                        - I uncommented some lines in /etc/murasaki/bin/sd_mount.sh so the
                        script can handle 2 HDD devices. (get the script from my archive
                        posted in a previous message to check what i changed ;)

                        If things do not works, you can check what's wrong by :
                        - Checking syslog (/var/log/messages)
                        - Starting the script from shell : "/etc/init.d/murasaki stop"
                        & "/etc/init.d/murasaki start" and check the output ;)

                        Hope this may help you !

                        Sylver

                        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "quimmfy" <quimmfy@y...>
                        wrote:
                        > dude it might be worth writing a howto on this topic, i'm having
                        > trouble getting two usb hdds to work with my mips linkstation.
                        >
                        > Thanks
                        >
                        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "snatcher93"
                        > <snatcher93@r...> wrote:
                        > > Then, this is obviously a bug, as all is present to allow
                        > automount
                        > > (kernel compiled with good options, murasaki catching hotplug
                        > events
                        > > (connect/disconnect), mount script that got some specific parts
                        > > handle a call from the startup script or from murasaki handler,
                        > dynamic
                        > > samba/netatalk sharing update ...
                        > > But if it's not working on a linkstation, it won't work on my
                        > > kurobox ... So, i have to found what the problem is ;)
                        > >
                        > > Thanks,
                        > >
                        > > Sylver
                        > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Bertram Doerfler"
                        > > <ernie73@g...> wrote:
                        > > > As far as I remember, there was a restart necessary when I
                        > plugged in
                        > > a usb
                        > > > drive. No automated mounting. I converted to debian and haven't
                        > tried
                        > > > hotplug since.
                      • johnnykwc
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 1, 2005
                          I followed the same instructions to change the path and recompiled.
                          But when I ran "/etc/init.d/murasaki start" I got an error:

                          root@KURO_FS250:/etc/init.d# /etc/init.d/murasaki start
                          modprobe: Can't open dependencies file
                          /lib/modules/2.4.17_mvl21/modules.dep (No such file or directory)
                          mv: cannot stat `/etc/fstab.murasaki_save': No such file or directory

                          Any ideas?

                          Thanks!

                          Johnny

                          <snatcher93@r...> wrote:
> [...]
                          > > that's the reason a reboot often makes it work. In which case
                          > > automounting may be unreliable in practice. Also mine mounts only with
                          > > mount -t vfat /dev/sda /mnt/mntpoint whereas most would suggest
                          > > /dev/sda1 would be more suitable. Whether this is a bug or just a
                          > > strangeness of the modules mix?
                          > >

                          > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "snatcher93"
                          > > <snatcher93@r...> wrote:
                          > > > I installed latest murasaki stable version (0.8.11), but the mount
                          > > > script is still not running when inserting an usb drive :(
                          > > > But i was able to make the 'samba/appletalk sharing updating'
                          enabled
                          > > > by replacing my '/bin/mkcode' by the one in the linkstation :)
                          > > >
                          > > > I think that i'll ask some help from the author of murasaki, if
                          i got
                          > > > the clue of the problem, i'll tell you as there is a similar

                        • snatcher93
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 2, 2005
                            On my kurobox, i do have a file called
                            /lib/modules/2.4.17_mvl21/modules.dep ! Do you use your original
                            murasaki script, or the one from my kurobox ? (it may be a bad idea to
                            use my scripts, it should be better to start using the original
                            scripts first !)
                            You should check /var/log/messages file, it may contain usefull
                            informations on what's happening !
                            Good luck,

                            Sylver

                            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "johnnykwc"

                          • johnnykwc
                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 11, 2005
                              Can you post your image here?
                              I cannot get it from kurobox.com.
                              BTW I have the KuroBox HG. Maybe the image is different.

                              Thanks!

                              Johnny