Re: Need help for usb automount with Murakasi

  • chano22000
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 8, 2005
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "snatcher93"
      <snatcher93@r...> wrote:

      > PS : just a question for people with a linkstation (i know there are
      > some in this goup :op )=> when plugging an USB drive, do you see it
      > in windows shared directories ?

      Hi Sylver,

      The answer to your question is yes as soon as the "Use the USB Disk as
      a Shared Folder" option is enabled in the "USB setup" menu of the LS
      web admin interface. In this case, samba maps the root of the USB disk
      as "usbdisk1" share.

      Note that if I hotplug the USB disk (a Buffalo DriveStation in my
      case), I get what is probably a bus error (disk busy indicator remains
      steadily on). As far as I remember the LS detects an USB device but
      the drive is not identified nor mounted. I therefore need to reboot
      the LS. In other words, the drive has to be on before the LS boots.

      If I turn the drive off while the LS is on, the device seems to be
      correctly unmounted and samba is restarted with an updated
      configuration file where /mnt2/usbdisk1 is no more mapped.

      Hope this help your investigations.

      Regards.

      Philippe Deysine
    • snatcher93
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 8, 2005
        Thanks a lot for answering ! It's giving me a lot of informations
        about what the script is able to do (i saw in the mount script that
        when mounting an USB drive, there is some refresh in the samba and
        appletalk configuration files (and each daemon are restarted) !

        It looks like there is a problem with hotplug for you too, i may
        consider recompiling the latest version of murakasi then to see if
        it's working better ...

        Just a last question : is a flash usb storage mounted the same way an
        USB drive is ? (i mean : do you see it in shares too ?)

        Thanks again !

        Sylver

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "chano22000"
        <philippe.deysine@l...> wrote:
        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "snatcher93"
        > <snatcher93@r...> wrote:
        > >
        > > PS : just a question for people with a linkstation (i know there
        are
        > > some in this goup :op )=> when plugging an USB drive, do you see
        it
        > > in windows shared directories ?
        >
        > Hi Sylver,
        >
        > The answer to your question is yes as soon as the "Use the USB Disk
        as
        > a Shared Folder" option is enabled in the "USB setup" menu of the
        LS
        > web admin interface. In this case, samba maps the root of the USB
        disk
        > as "usbdisk1" share.
        >
        > Note that if I hotplug the USB disk (a Buffalo DriveStation in my
        > case), I get what is probably a bus error (disk busy indicator
        remains
        > steadily on). As far as I remember the LS detects an USB device but
        > the drive is not identified nor mounted. I therefore need to reboot
        > the LS. In other words, the drive has to be on before the LS boots.
        >
        > If I turn the drive off while the LS is on, the device seems to be
        > correctly unmounted and samba is restarted with an updated
        > configuration file where /mnt2/usbdisk1 is no more mapped.
        >
        > Hope this help your investigations.
        >
        > Regards.
        >
        > Philippe Deysine
      • Bertram Doerfler
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 8, 2005

          As far as I remember, there was a restart necessary when I plugged in a usb drive. No automated mounting. I converted to debian and haven’t tried a hotplug since…

          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 8, 2005
            Then, this is obviously a bug, as all is present to allow automount
            (kernel compiled with good options, murasaki catching hotplug events
            (connect/disconnect), mount script that got some specific parts to
            handle a call from the startup script or from murasaki handler, dynamic
            samba/netatalk sharing update ...
            But if it's not working on a linkstation, it won't work on my
            kurobox ... So, i have to found what the problem is ;)

            Thanks,

            Sylver
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Bertram Doerfler"
            <ernie73@g...> wrote:
            > As far as I remember, there was a restart necessary when I plugged in
            a usb
            > drive. No automated mounting. I converted to debian and haven't tried
            > hotplug since.
          • snatcher93
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 9, 2005
              I installed latest murasaki stable version (0.8.11), but the mount
              script is still not running when inserting an usb drive :(
              But i was able to make the 'samba/appletalk sharing updating' enabled
              by replacing my '/bin/mkcode' by the one in the linkstation :)

              I think that i'll ask some help from the author of murasaki, if i got
              the clue of the problem, i'll tell you as there is a similar problem
              on the linkstation ;)

              Sylver

              <snatcher93@r...> wrote:
              > Then, this is obviously a bug, as all is present to allow automount
              > (kernel compiled with good options, murasaki catching hotplug
              events
              > (connect/disconnect), mount script that got some specific parts to
              > handle a call from the startup script or from murasaki handler,
              dynamic
              > samba/netatalk sharing update ...
              > But if it's not working on a linkstation, it won't work on my
              > kurobox ... So, i have to found what the problem is ;)
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Sylver
              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Bertram Doerfler"
              > <ernie73@g...> wrote:
              > > As far as I remember, there was a restart necessary when I
              plugged in
              > a usb
              > > drive. No automated mounting. I converted to debian and haven't
              tried
              > > hotplug since.
            • downlalaway
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 9, 2005
                Hi Sylver,

                I have an LS1 running Debian, and get pretty good connection to a usb
                hard drive (and most other devices) using usb 2 -as in
                http://linkstationwiki.org/Articles/DebianUSBDevices . I didn't use
                the LS OS for more than a few days.

                To be honest never tried to get automount operating since very rarely
                use it. The debian I have has no /etc/murasaki just a usb-storage.o
                driver under
                /lib/modules/2.4.17_mvl21-sandpoint/kernel/drivers/usb/storage
                These modules have been fudged in using a mix of ls and kuro-box
                drivers, autofs and hotplug installed through apt-get.
                kuro-box.com still seems to be down -I take it you've looked at
                linkstationwiki?
                I know little about the drivers or how to build a set but others do
                and would like to build a better one - as in
                http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/2_198_0.html

                I'm also told that hotplug doesn't work well on 2.4.17 (until 2.6) so
                that's the reason a reboot often makes it work. In which case
                automounting may be unreliable in practice. Also mine mounts only with
                mount -t vfat /dev/sda /mnt/mntpoint whereas most would suggest
                /dev/sda1 would be more suitable. Whether this is a bug or just a
                strangeness of the modules mix?

                <snatcher93@r...> wrote:
                > I installed latest murasaki stable version (0.8.11), but the mount
                > script is still not running when inserting an usb drive :(
                > But i was able to make the 'samba/appletalk sharing updating' enabled
                > by replacing my '/bin/mkcode' by the one in the linkstation :)
                >
                > I think that i'll ask some help from the author of murasaki, if i got
                > the clue of the problem, i'll tell you as there is a similar problem
                > on the linkstation ;)
                >
                > Sylver
                >
                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "snatcher93"
                > <snatcher93@r...> wrote:
                > > Then, this is obviously a bug, as all is present to allow automount
                > > (kernel compiled with good options, murasaki catching hotplug
                > events
                > > (connect/disconnect), mount script that got some specific parts to
                > > handle a call from the startup script or from murasaki handler,
                > dynamic
                > > samba/netatalk sharing update ...
                > > But if it's not working on a linkstation, it won't work on my
                > > kurobox ... So, i have to found what the problem is ;)
                > >
                > > Thanks,
                > >
                > > Sylver
                > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Bertram Doerfler"
                > > <ernie73@g...> wrote:
                > > > As far as I remember, there was a restart necessary when I
                > plugged in
                > > a usb
                > > > drive. No automated mounting. I converted to debian and haven't
                > tried
                > > > hotplug since.
              • snatcher93
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 10, 2005
                  Well, I was able to make this works well ! For this i had to :
                  - correct the startup script error (space missed) => it won't run
                  murasaki if you don't correct that !
                  - recompile murasaki telling him that the scripts were in
                  /etc/murasaki/bin
                  - replace the murasaki.usbmap file by the one with the source (very
                  important !) and update the .call file to match the device type given
                  in the .usbmap

                  Now it's perfect : when i switch on/off my usb drive, it mounts
                  it/unmount it and update samba/appletalk sharing ! I just have to make
                  this works with usb flash storage now ;)

                  I hope i'll help people that would like to do the same ;)
                  If you want to pick up some files, you can get my system image here :
                  http://www.kurobox.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=708

                  C U

                  Sylver
                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "downlalaway"

                • chano22000
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 11, 2005
                    Hello again,

                    Congratulations Silver for your job !

                    I've just uploaded your v3 image which you mention is intended only
                    for the Kurobox HG.
                    I own a standard PPC LS (HD-HLAN) which is more or less a standard
                    Kurobox with two USB ports.
                    I am very interested using your image to only update the
                    USB/Murasaki related files of my stock firmware.

                    1) Do you have reason to think that the updates you have made would
                    not run on my Linkstation ? (are the two USB handled or does it
                    require some further adaptation ?)
                    2) Which are the files/directories, I need to copy/update from your
                    image ?

                    Thank you very much in advance for you help and "How to".

                    Philippe Deysine (chano22000)

                    <snatcher93@r...> wrote:
                    > Well, I was able to make this works well ! For this i had to :
                    > - correct the startup script error (space missed) => it won't run
                    > murasaki if you don't correct that !
                    > - recompile murasaki telling him that the scripts were in
                    > /etc/murasaki/bin
                    > - replace the murasaki.usbmap file by the one with the source (very
                    > important !) and update the .call file to match the device type
                    given
                    > in the .usbmap
                    >
                    > Now it's perfect : when i switch on/off my usb drive, it mounts
                    > it/unmount it and update samba/appletalk sharing ! I just have to
                    make
                    > this works with usb flash storage now ;)
                    >
                    > I hope i'll help people that would like to do the same ;)
                    > If you want to pick up some files, you can get my system image
                    here :
                    > http://www.kurobox.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=708
                    >
                    > C U
                    >
                    > Sylver
                  • snatcher93
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 11, 2005
                      Thanks ;)
                      You can get the files i updated on my kurobox to make all that thing
                      works (it's really amazing that people at Buffalo were not able to
                      make this works correctly ! Ok it took me a long time, but, hey that's
                      not my job ! I'm quite new to linux world). Get that file :
                      http://sylver78.free.fr/kurobox/murasaki_kuro.tar.gz
                      upload it in the root directory of your linkstation (general remark :
                      do this only on PPC based hardware, not MIPS !) and "tar xzfv
                      murasaki_kuro.tar.gz" in the root directory. Reboot and it should work ;)
                      In the original mounting script, only 1 USB device was handled (line
                      to handle second usb devices were in comment), as there is also 2 USB
                      connectors in the KuroBox HG, i modified the script so it can handle 2
                      USB drives devices ;)

                      Tell us if it works (it should ;)

                      <philippe.deysine@l...> wrote:
                      > Hello again,
                      >
                      > Congratulations Silver for your job !
                      >
                      > I've just uploaded your v3 image which you mention is intended only
                      > for the Kurobox HG.
                      > I own a standard PPC LS (HD-HLAN) which is more or less a standard
                      > Kurobox with two USB ports.
                      > I am very interested using your image to only update the
                      > USB/Murasaki related files of my stock firmware.
                      >
                      > 1) Do you have reason to think that the updates you have made would
                      > not run on my Linkstation ? (are the two USB handled or does it
                      > require some further adaptation ?)
                      > 2) Which are the files/directories, I need to copy/update from your
                      > image ?
                      >
                      > Thank you very much in advance for you help and "How to".
                      >
                      > Philippe Deysine (chano22000)
                      >

                      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "snatcher93"
                      > <snatcher93@r...> wrote:
                      > > Well, I was able to make this works well ! For this i had to :
                      > > - correct the startup script error (space missed) => it won't run
                      > > murasaki if you don't correct that !
                      > > - recompile murasaki telling him that the scripts were in
                      > > /etc/murasaki/bin
                      > > - replace the murasaki.usbmap file by the one with the source (very
                      > > important !) and update the .call file to match the device type
                      > given
                      > > in the .usbmap
                      > >
                      > > Now it's perfect : when i switch on/off my usb drive, it mounts
                      > > it/unmount it and update samba/appletalk sharing ! I just have to
                      > make
                      > > this works with usb flash storage now ;)
                      > >
                      > > I hope i'll help people that would like to do the same ;)
                      > > If you want to pick up some files, you can get my system image
                      > here :
                      > > http://www.kurobox.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=708
                      > >
                      > > C U
                      > >
                      > > Sylver
                    • quimmfy
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 16, 2005
                        Funny you should say that i'm having exactly the same problem with
                        my linkstation. I'm trying to get 2 usb hdds working, i've edited
                        the mount_sd.sh to accept two hdds but when i turn them on it
                        doesn't mount them as windows shares.

                        Is this a common problem? And has anyone else experienced it?

                        Thanks

                        <ernie73@g...> wrote:
                        > As far as I remember, there was a restart necessary when I plugged
                        in a usb
                        > drive. No automated mounting. I converted to debian and haven't
                        tried a
                        > hotplug since.
                        >

                        > _____

                        t=ms&k=Communication+and+networking&w1=Communi

                        cation+and+networking&w2=Buffalo+linkstation&w3=Wireless+communicatio
                        n+and+n
                        > etworking&c=3&s=102&.sig=FI1hDus-Kg_Fc-ah27gPDQ> and networking
                        >
                        > Buffalo
                        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                        t=ms&k=Buffalo+linkstation&w1=Communication+an

                        d+networking&w2=Buffalo+linkstation&w3=Wireless+communication+and+net
                        working
                        > &c=3&s=102&.sig=JuNxhUybHVSskKc672IyrA> linkstation
                        >
                        > Wireless
                        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                        t=ms&k=Wireless+communication+and+networking&w

                        1=Communication+and+networking&w2=Buffalo+linkstation&w3=Wireless+com
                        municat
                        > ion+and+networking&c=3&s=102&.sig=hf7OqG0BCqzOtbSlUM9Fmg>
                        communication and
                        > networking
                        >

                        > _____
                        >
                        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                        >

                        > * Visit your group "LinkStation_General
                        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LinkStation_General> " on the web.

                        subject=Unsubscribe>

                        > _____
                      • quimmfy
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 16, 2005
                          dude it might be worth writing a howto on this topic, i'm having
                          trouble getting two usb hdds to work with my mips linkstation.

                          Thanks

                          <snatcher93@r...> wrote:
                          > Then, this is obviously a bug, as all is present to allow
                          automount
                          > (kernel compiled with good options, murasaki catching hotplug
                          events
                          > (connect/disconnect), mount script that got some specific parts to
                          > handle a call from the startup script or from murasaki handler,
                          dynamic
                          > samba/netatalk sharing update ...
                          > But if it's not working on a linkstation, it won't work on my
                          > kurobox ... So, i have to found what the problem is ;)
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          >
                          > Sylver
                          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Bertram Doerfler"
                          > <ernie73@g...> wrote:
                          > > As far as I remember, there was a restart necessary when I
                          plugged in
                          > a usb
                          > > drive. No automated mounting. I converted to debian and haven't
                          tried
                          > > hotplug since.
                        • snatcher93
                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 22, 2005
                            I can tell what i changed to make things works (so you can try to do
                            the same in the linkstation v2) :
                            - I get murasaki sources
                            http://www.dotaster.com/~shuu/linux/murasaki/0.8/11/murasaki-
                            0.8.11.tar.gz
                            - I changed the scripts directory to /etc/murasaki/bin and compiled
                            (in make.defs, i changed "SCRIPT_DIR=/usr/lib/$(LM)"
                            to "SCRIPT_DIR=/etc/murasaki/bin"), but putting script
                            in /usr/lib/murasaki should be enought (maybe no need to recompile).
                            - I replaced the /etc/murasaki/murasaki.usbmap with the one provided
                            with murasaki source code
                            - I uncommented some lines in /etc/murasaki/bin/sd_mount.sh so the
                            script can handle 2 HDD devices. (get the script from my archive
                            posted in a previous message to check what i changed ;)

                            If things do not works, you can check what's wrong by :
                            - Checking syslog (/var/log/messages)
                            - Starting the script from shell : "/etc/init.d/murasaki stop"
                            & "/etc/init.d/murasaki start" and check the output ;)

                            Hope this may help you !

                            Sylver

                            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "quimmfy" <quimmfy@y...>
                            wrote:
                            > dude it might be worth writing a howto on this topic, i'm having
                            > trouble getting two usb hdds to work with my mips linkstation.
                            >
                            > Thanks
                            >
                            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "snatcher93"
                            > <snatcher93@r...> wrote:
                            > > Then, this is obviously a bug, as all is present to allow
                            > automount
                            > > (kernel compiled with good options, murasaki catching hotplug
                            > events
                            > > (connect/disconnect), mount script that got some specific parts
                            > > handle a call from the startup script or from murasaki handler,
                            > dynamic
                            > > samba/netatalk sharing update ...
                            > > But if it's not working on a linkstation, it won't work on my
                            > > kurobox ... So, i have to found what the problem is ;)
                            > >
                            > > Thanks,
                            > >
                            > > Sylver
                            > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Bertram Doerfler"
                            > > <ernie73@g...> wrote:
                            > > > As far as I remember, there was a restart necessary when I
                            > plugged in
                            > > a usb
                            > > > drive. No automated mounting. I converted to debian and haven't
                            > tried
                            > > > hotplug since.
                          • johnnykwc
                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 1, 2005
                              I followed the same instructions to change the path and recompiled.
                              But when I ran "/etc/init.d/murasaki start" I got an error:

                              root@KURO_FS250:/etc/init.d# /etc/init.d/murasaki start
                              modprobe: Can't open dependencies file
                              /lib/modules/2.4.17_mvl21/modules.dep (No such file or directory)
                              mv: cannot stat `/etc/fstab.murasaki_save': No such file or directory

                              Any ideas?

                              Thanks!

                              Johnny

                              <snatcher93@r...> wrote:
> [...]
                              > > that's the reason a reboot often makes it work. In which case
                              > > automounting may be unreliable in practice. Also mine mounts only with
                              > > mount -t vfat /dev/sda /mnt/mntpoint whereas most would suggest
                              > > /dev/sda1 would be more suitable. Whether this is a bug or just a
                              > > strangeness of the modules mix?
                              > >

                              > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "snatcher93"
                              > > <snatcher93@r...> wrote:
                              > > > I installed latest murasaki stable version (0.8.11), but the mount
                              > > > script is still not running when inserting an usb drive :(
                              > > > But i was able to make the 'samba/appletalk sharing updating'
                              enabled
                              > > > by replacing my '/bin/mkcode' by the one in the linkstation :)
                              > > >
                              > > > I think that i'll ask some help from the author of murasaki, if
                              i got
                              > > > the clue of the problem, i'll tell you as there is a similar

                            • snatcher93
                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 2, 2005
                                On my kurobox, i do have a file called
                                /lib/modules/2.4.17_mvl21/modules.dep ! Do you use your original
                                murasaki script, or the one from my kurobox ? (it may be a bad idea to
                                use my scripts, it should be better to start using the original
                                scripts first !)
                                You should check /var/log/messages file, it may contain usefull
                                informations on what's happening !
                                Good luck,

                                Sylver

                                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "johnnykwc"

                              • johnnykwc
                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 11, 2005
                                  Can you post your image here?
                                  I cannot get it from kurobox.com.
                                  BTW I have the KuroBox HG. Maybe the image is different.

                                  Thanks!

                                  Johnny