Re: Firmware update failure

  • bjt5150
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 7, 2005
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "sketchamo"
      <sketchamo@b...> wrote:
      > Hi all
      > I attempted to update my hd120 firmware from 1.30 to 1.44 but it
      > failed. Since then I've not been able to connect to the
      linkstation at
      > all. I've tried doing a reset (red button) but none of the tools
      will
      > detect my LS and the browser cannot find it. Can anyone help
      please?

      The same thing happened to me when I tried to do the upgrade between
      the same versions. None of the LS tools could see the LS, although
      I did still have file sharing capabilities in windows, and the web
      interface still worked, and i could ping it. To solve was a bit
      involved, but I will outline what I had to do...

      In the end, after trying multiple options, different versions of the
      LS tools and updater, direct connection to the PC, etc, I ended up
      taking the LS apart, taking the HDD out of the thing, and connecting
      it to my PC via normal IDE cable. I then ran Mandrake Move linux,
      mounted the disk and deleted all the partitions on the disk (after
      running the fix tool to make the partitions accessible).

      Once I did this, I put the disk back into the LS, and it went into
      its emergency mode, which it seems to do each time it boots and
      cannot find an o/s partition or the appropriate disk structure. The
      emergency boot loader reset all of the partitions, and let me
      connect to the LS via the Linkstation tools. I could also run the
      firmware updater.

      I connected the LS directly to my PC, disabled the windows firewall,
      and ran the firmware updater, which took a while, but successfully
      updated the firmware. After that, I had full functionality, and the
      LS has run successfully ever since.

      I wouldn't recommend this if you are not sure about ripping your
      hardware apart, but there is a good FAQ on disassembling the LS on
      the group, as well as getting the HD out. There are also articles
      about making the disk readable in a normal linux machine.

      If you want more info, email me. Sorry it's not an easier solution!

      Ben
    • sketchamo
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 10, 2005
        Thanks, couldn't have fixed it without you.
        I now have my Linkstation back and running 1.44 but with slightly
        different steps to yours.

        I couldn't get Mandrake to work correctly with my setup but Suse 9.3
        running from a DVD recognised and mounted the drive on bootup. I
        still couldn't see the Linkstation though. What I then tried was
        powering it on with the reset button already held in. It then booted
        up with all the lights permanently lit and flashing. I then ran the
        firmware updater and it found the device (using crossover) but it
        had a different name. HD-HLAN-EM and a firmware version of 3.00! It
        took 3 (firmware went to 0.00) failed attempts to apply but on the
        4th it finally worked!

        I wonder if maybe we could have just gone straight into this 'HD-
        HLAN-EM' mode and not dismantled the unit?

        Anyway thanks again for all your help, if I ever break my
        Linkstation again I'll try 'HD-HLAN-EM' and let you know if it works.

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "bjt5150" <bjt46@n...>