Firmware update failure

  • sketchamo
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 7, 2005
      Hi all
      I attempted to update my hd120 firmware from 1.30 to 1.44 but it
      failed. Since then I've not been able to connect to the linkstation at
      all. I've tried doing a reset (red button) but none of the tools will
      detect my LS and the browser cannot find it. Can anyone help please?
    • bjt5150
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 7, 2005
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "sketchamo"
        <sketchamo@b...> wrote:
        > Hi all
        > I attempted to update my hd120 firmware from 1.30 to 1.44 but it
        > failed. Since then I've not been able to connect to the
        linkstation at
        > all. I've tried doing a reset (red button) but none of the tools
        will
        > detect my LS and the browser cannot find it. Can anyone help
        please?

        The same thing happened to me when I tried to do the upgrade between
        the same versions. None of the LS tools could see the LS, although
        I did still have file sharing capabilities in windows, and the web
        interface still worked, and i could ping it. To solve was a bit
        involved, but I will outline what I had to do...

        In the end, after trying multiple options, different versions of the
        LS tools and updater, direct connection to the PC, etc, I ended up
        taking the LS apart, taking the HDD out of the thing, and connecting
        it to my PC via normal IDE cable. I then ran Mandrake Move linux,
        mounted the disk and deleted all the partitions on the disk (after
        running the fix tool to make the partitions accessible).

        Once I did this, I put the disk back into the LS, and it went into
        its emergency mode, which it seems to do each time it boots and
        cannot find an o/s partition or the appropriate disk structure. The
        emergency boot loader reset all of the partitions, and let me
        connect to the LS via the Linkstation tools. I could also run the
        firmware updater.

        I connected the LS directly to my PC, disabled the windows firewall,
        and ran the firmware updater, which took a while, but successfully
        updated the firmware. After that, I had full functionality, and the
        LS has run successfully ever since.

        I wouldn't recommend this if you are not sure about ripping your
        hardware apart, but there is a good FAQ on disassembling the LS on
        the group, as well as getting the HD out. There are also articles
        about making the disk readable in a normal linux machine.

        If you want more info, email me. Sorry it's not an easier solution!

        Ben
      • sketchamo
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 10, 2005
          Thanks, couldn't have fixed it without you.
          I now have my Linkstation back and running 1.44 but with slightly
          different steps to yours.

          I couldn't get Mandrake to work correctly with my setup but Suse 9.3
          running from a DVD recognised and mounted the drive on bootup. I
          still couldn't see the Linkstation though. What I then tried was
          powering it on with the reset button already held in. It then booted
          up with all the lights permanently lit and flashing. I then ran the
          firmware updater and it found the device (using crossover) but it
          had a different name. HD-HLAN-EM and a firmware version of 3.00! It
          took 3 (firmware went to 0.00) failed attempts to apply but on the
          4th it finally worked!

          I wonder if maybe we could have just gone straight into this 'HD-
          HLAN-EM' mode and not dismantled the unit?

          Anyway thanks again for all your help, if I ever break my
          Linkstation again I'll try 'HD-HLAN-EM' and let you know if it works.

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "bjt5150" <bjt46@n...>