Re: Need HowTo and Install Files for OpenVPN on LS1

  • lalunas10
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 5, 2005
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "schwab_one" <schwab.thomas@m...>
      wrote:
      > Then as in your (2.) below I downloaded openvpn-lzo-ls1-v3.tar.gz to
      > my VPN directory
      > When trying to untar the file I received an error = gzip: stdin: not
      > in gzip format -- the
      > terminal text is below...

      Everything you did was right, and openvpn is installed on your system, albeit not the latest
      version, which gave you this error.

      As for the error, I had accidentially compressed the file with bzip2 instead of gzip. So
      please delete your openvpn-lzo-ls1-v3.tar.gz, re-download the file, and "tar -C / -xvzf
      openvpn-lzo-ls1-v3.tar.gz" once again. That should be it, the latest version of openvpn
      should be installed on your system at this point.

      > Do I need to set up the module?

      Yo. Execute

      echo "tun" >> /etc/modules

      , add your own setup (see below), reboot, and you're on.

      > Where or how do I set up config files?

      Files in /etc/openvpn/ with the extension .conf, like /etc/openvpn/example.conf and /
      etc/openvpn/example2.conf, will be sourced at boot time, and when you execute "/etc/
      init.d/openvpn restart".

      <http://openvpn.net> provides setup examples and very good explanations. I sent you a
      sample setup in reply to your personal mail as well.

      > Thanks.

      I hope this helps!

      -Andre
    • infobupkis
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 5, 2006
        Hi there-

        I can't get through to download
        http://www.germanistik.uni-bonn.de/ab/downloads/openvpn-lzo-ls1-v3.tar.gz
        as required in step 2. Is there a new or alternate location for the file?

        I'm eager to try this setup on my LS I.

        <lalunas10@...> wrote:

        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "schwab_one"
        <schwab.thomas@m...>
        > wrote:
        > > Then as in your (2.) below I downloaded openvpn-lzo-ls1-v3.tar.gz to
        > > my VPN directory
        > > When trying to untar the file I received an error = gzip: stdin: not
        > > in gzip format -- the
        > > terminal text is below...
        >
        > Everything you did was right, and openvpn is installed on your
        system, albeit not the latest
        > version, which gave you this error.
        >
        > As for the error, I had accidentially compressed the file with bzip2
        instead of gzip. So
        > please delete your openvpn-lzo-ls1-v3.tar.gz, re-download the file,
        and "tar -C / -xvzf
        > openvpn-lzo-ls1-v3.tar.gz" once again. That should be it, the latest
        version of openvpn
        > should be installed on your system at this point.
        >
        > > Do I need to set up the module?
        >
        > Yo. Execute
        >
        > echo "tun" >> /etc/modules
        >
        > , add your own setup (see below), reboot, and you're on.
        >
        > > Where or how do I set up config files?
        >
        > Files in /etc/openvpn/ with the extension .conf, like
        /etc/openvpn/example.conf and /
        > etc/openvpn/example2.conf, will be sourced at boot time, and when
        you execute "/etc/
        > init.d/openvpn restart".
        >
        > <http://openvpn.net> provides setup examples and very good
        explanations. I sent you a
        > sample setup in reply to your personal mail as well.
        >
        > > Thanks.
        >
        > I hope this helps!
        >
        > -Andre

      • cherrytreeproduction
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 5, 2006
          i think you will find the files needed at
          http://hvkls.dyndns.org/downloads/... lalunas aka andre uses this
          webspace now...

          his linkstation isn`t always online as it sleeps some hours a day....

          so don`t give up...you will find what you are searching for i think.

          regards
          mindbender

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "infobupkis" <public@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi there-
          >
          > I can't get through to download

          http://www.germanistik.uni-bonn.de/ab/downloads/openvpn-lzo-ls1-v3.tar.gz
          > as required in step 2. Is there a new or alternate location for the
          file?

          > I'm eager to try this setup on my LS I.
          >

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
          > <lalunas10@> wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "schwab_one"
          > <schwab.thomas@m...>
          > > wrote:
          > > > Then as in your (2.) below I downloaded openvpn-lzo-ls1-v3.tar.gz to
          > > > my VPN directory
          > > > When trying to untar the file I received an error = gzip: stdin: not
          > > > in gzip format -- the
          > > > terminal text is below...
          > >
          > > Everything you did was right, and openvpn is installed on your
          > system, albeit not the latest
          > > version, which gave you this error.
          > >
          > > As for the error, I had accidentially compressed the file with bzip2
          > instead of gzip. So
          > > please delete your openvpn-lzo-ls1-v3.tar.gz, re-download the file,
          > and "tar -C / -xvzf
          > > openvpn-lzo-ls1-v3.tar.gz" once again. That should be it, the latest
          > version of openvpn
          > > should be installed on your system at this point.
          > >
          > > > Do I need to set up the module?
          > >
          > > Yo. Execute
          > >
          > > echo "tun" >> /etc/modules
          > >
          > > , add your own setup (see below), reboot, and you're on.
          > >
          > > > Where or how do I set up config files?
          > >
          > > Files in /etc/openvpn/ with the extension .conf, like
          > /etc/openvpn/example.conf and /
          > > etc/openvpn/example2.conf, will be sourced at boot time, and when
          > you execute "/etc/
          > > init.d/openvpn restart".
          > >
          > > <http://openvpn.net> provides setup examples and very good
          > explanations. I sent you a
          > > sample setup in reply to your personal mail as well.
          > >
          > > > Thanks.
          > >
          > > I hope this helps!
          > >
          > > -Andre

        • lalunas10
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 6, 2006
            wrote:
            > I can't get through to download
            > http://www.germanistik.uni-bonn.de/ab/downloads/openvpn-lzo-ls1-
            v3.tar.gz
            > as required in step 2. Is there a new or alternate location for the
            file?

            Unfortunately, there isn't. My web space went down without notice when
            they switched to a different server, and I don't have a backup. The
            only binaries left are outdated and insecure; you can grab them from
            <http://hvkls.dyndns.org/downloads/archive/>. You should compile the
            most recent version from <http://openvpn.net> from scratch, my
            instructions plus a few files needed for an LS1 with the stock firmware
            are still available from <http://hvkls.dyndns.org/downloads/>.

            -Andre
          • infobupkis
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 6, 2006
              Here's my procedure (I think) with a few questions:

              1) compile LZO (lzo-2.02.tar.gz) with --prefix=/usr/local

              Q: I've put other programs in /mnt as recommended in the wiki to
              avoid space problems. Does this change my options for prefix? Should
              I just leave it as you suggest?

              2) compile OpenVPN (openvpn-2.0.6.tar.gz) with

              ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --with-ifconfig-path=/bin/ifconfig
              --with-lzo-headers=/usr/local/include --with-lzo-lib=/usr/local/lib
              --enable-pthread ; make ; make install

              Q: Same question on location etc

              3) Get /dev/tap* and /dev/net/tun from a Debian PC System and transfer
              them using tar

              Q: I don't have a Linux box. If I can get them somewhere, where do
              they go on the LSI?

              TIA for your help.
            • lalunas10
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 6, 2006
                wrote:

                > Here's my procedure (I think) with a few questions:
                >
                > 1) compile LZO (lzo-2.02.tar.gz) with --prefix=/usr/local
                >
                > Q: I've put other programs in /mnt as recommended in the wiki to
                > avoid space problems. Does this change my options for prefix?
                Should
                > I just leave it as you suggest?

                That's up to you; but you need to make sure your system can find it
                (man ldconfig). Personally, I would put it into /usr/local, while /
                usr/local could be a symlink to, say, /mnt/local, or made accessible
                with "mount --bind" (man mount)

                > 2) compile OpenVPN (openvpn-2.0.6.tar.gz) with
                >
                > ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --with-ifconfig-path=/bin/
                ifconfig
                > --with-lzo-headers=/usr/local/include --with-lzo-lib=/usr/local/lib
                > --enable-pthread ; make ; make install
                >
                > Q: Same question on location etc

                s.a.; adjust $PATH if necessary

                > 3) Get /dev/tap* and /dev/net/tun from a Debian PC System and
                transfer
                > them using tar
                >
                > Q: I don't have a Linux box. If I can get them somewhere, where do
                > they go on the LSI?

                <http://hvkls.dyndns.org/downloads/ls1-openvpn-configfiles.tar.gz>,
                it's right below the compilation instructions ;)

                -Andre