Re: Need HowTo and Install Files for OpenVPN on LS1

  • lalunas10
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 4, 2005
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10" <lalunas10@y...> wrote:
      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "schwab_one" <schwab.thomas@m...>
      > wrote:
      [a few typos and gramm. errors snipped]
      > Tom, please me if that worked for you!

      "Can't have me coffee until I've had my second cup of coffee" (Garfield)

      :)

      -Andre
    • schwab_one
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 5, 2005
        Thank you very much Andre.

        I am still having difficulty.

        I made a new directory in /mnt/opt/ called VPN

        I downloaded and installed ppc-openvpn-lzo-v2 as you instructed (note
        I carried through
        to install the ppc-openvpn-lzo-v2 as well)

        Then as in your (2.) below I downloaded openvpn-lzo-ls1-v3.tar.gz to
        my VPN directory
        When trying to untar the file I received an error = gzip: stdin: not
        in gzip format -- the
        terminal text is below...

        Do I need to set up the module?

        Where or how do I set up config files?

        Thanks.

        Tom Schwab

        root@SCHWABNETHD:/mnt/opt# cd
        root@SCHWABNETHD:~# cd /mnt/opt
        root@SCHWABNETHD:/mnt/opt# ls
        root@SCHWABNETHD:/mnt/opt# mkdir VPN
        root@SCHWABNETHD:/mnt/opt# cd VPN
        root@SCHWABNETHD:/mnt/opt/VPN# wget http://linksta
        tionwiki.org/downloads/
        powerpc-hdhlan/ppc-openvpn-lzo-v2.tar.gz

        Connecting to linkstationwiki.org[66.152.98.207]:80
        ppc-openvpn-lzo-v2.t 100% |*****************************| 667 KB
        00:00 ETA
        root@SCHWABNETHD:/mnt/opt/VPN# tar -xvzf ppc-openvpn-lzo-v2.tar.gz
        ppc-openvpn-lzo-v2/
        ppc-openvpn-lzo-v2/CHANGES
        ppc-openvpn-lzo-v2/COPYRIGHT
        ppc-openvpn-lzo-v2/GPL
        ppc-openvpn-lzo-v2/LGPL
        ppc-openvpn-lzo-v2/README
        ppc-openvpn-lzo-v2/openvpn2-with-lzo-201-v2.tar.gz
        root@SCHWABNETHD:/mnt/opt/VPN# cd ppc-openvpn-lzo-v2
        root@SCHWABNETHD:/mnt/opt/VPN/ppc-openvpn-lzo-v2# tar -C / -xvzf
        openvpn2-
        with-lzo-201-v2.tar.gz
        etc/init.d/openvpn
        etc/rc.d/rc2.d/S16openvpn
        usr/local/include/lzo/
        usr/local/include/lzo/lzoconf.h
        usr/local/include/lzo/lzodefs.h
        usr/local/include/lzo/lzoutil.h
        usr/local/include/lzo/lzo_asm.h
        usr/local/include/lzo/lzo1.h
        usr/local/include/lzo/lzo1a.h
        usr/local/include/lzo/lzo1b.h
        usr/local/include/lzo/lzo1c.h
        usr/local/include/lzo/lzo1f.h
        usr/local/include/lzo/lzo1x.h
        usr/local/include/lzo/lzo1y.h
        usr/local/include/lzo/lzo1z.h
        usr/local/include/lzo/lzo2a.h
        usr/local/lib/liblzo.a
        usr/local/lib/liblzo.la
        usr/local/lib/liblzo2.a
        usr/local/lib/liblzo2.la
        usr/local/sbin/openvpn
        usr/local/man/man8/openvpn.8
        dev/net/tun
        dev/tap0
        dev/tap1
        dev/tap10
        dev/tap11
        dev/tap12
        dev/tap13
        dev/tap14
        dev/tap15
        dev/tap2
        dev/tap3
        dev/tap4
        dev/tap5
        dev/tap6
        dev/tap7
        dev/tap8
        dev/tap9
        lib/modules/2.4.17_mvl21-sandpoint/kernel/drivers/net/tun.o
        root@SCHWABNETHD:/mnt/opt/VPN/ppc-openvpn-lzo-v2# cd VPN
        bash: cd: VPN: No such file or directory
        root@SCHWABNETHD:/mnt/opt/VPN/ppc-openvpn-lzo-v2# cd /mnt/opt/VPN
        root@SCHWABNETHD:/mnt/opt/VPN# wget http://www.ger
        manistik.uni-bonn.de/ab/
        downloads/openvpn-lzo-ls1-v3.tar.gz
        Connecting to www.germanistik.uni-bonn.de[131.220.90.176]:80
        openvpn-lzo-ls1-v3.t 100% |*****************************| 349 KB
        00:00 ETA
        root@SCHWABNETHD:/mnt/opt/VPN# tar -C/ -xvzf openvpn-lzo-ls1-v3.tar.gz

        gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
        tar: Child returned status 1

        <lalunas10@y...> wrote:
        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "schwab_one"
        <schwab.thomas@m...>
        > wrote:
        > > I have unsuccessfully tried to install OpenVPN 2 on my
        non-Debianized
        > > PPC Linkstation
        > >
        > > The current Yahoo Group HowToFile for OpenVPN LS1 installation has
        > > outdated links for
        > > file downloads as does the Linkstattion Wiki.
        >
        > As the person providing both, I can conform some links are
        outdated, as the Wiki
        structure
        > has changed since several times, and also that bugfixed versions of
        VPN are available.
        I'll
        > look into that.
        >
        > > It is not clear what the differences are between the YahooGroups
        > > HowToFile steps
        > [...]
        > > AND the Linkstation Wiki Steps.
        > > http://linkstationwiki.org/Projects/PPCOpenVPN
        >
        > The Wiki provides binaries I have produced with the methods
        subscribed in the Howto.

        > > Here's my setup after logging in as root
        > > Linux (none) 2.4.17_mvl21-sandpoint #997 2005? 2?? 25?? ??????
        > > 19:29:09 JST ppc
        > > unknown
        > >
        > > I'd appreciate some help -- I'm stuck -- I am not certain in
        which
        > > dir the files go -- (I
        > > assume I need the openvpn2 files, the configuration files and Lzo
        > > files)
        >
        > Correct. The following is correct steps are recommended until I
        have fixed everything:

        > 1. Download
        >
        > <http://linkstationwiki.org/downloads/powerpc-hd
        hlan/ppc-openvpn-lzo-v2.tar.gz>

        > and install it according to
        >
        > <http://linkstationwiki.org/Projects/PPCOpenVPN#toc4>
        >
        > 2. Download
        >
        > <http://www.germanistik.uni-bonn.de/ab/downloads
        /openvpn-lzo-ls1-v3.tar.gz>

        > and install it using
        >
        > # tar -C / -xvzf openvpn-lzo-ls1-v3.tar.gz
        >
        > These is the openvpn 2.0.2 binary (only) with the latest security
        fixes.

        > > I also do not know how to set up the OpenVPN after downloading
        files

        > See above, then proceed to
        >
        > <http://linkstationwiki.org/Projects/PPCOpenVPN#toc5>
        >
        > The reason why not everything is installed with just one command is
        b/c the Wiki hasn't
        > agreed on a unified installation procedure yet.
        >
        > Tom, please me if that worked for you!
        >
        > -Andre
      • lalunas10
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 5, 2005
          wrote:
          > Then as in your (2.) below I downloaded openvpn-lzo-ls1-v3.tar.gz to
          > my VPN directory
          > When trying to untar the file I received an error = gzip: stdin: not
          > in gzip format -- the
          > terminal text is below...

          Everything you did was right, and openvpn is installed on your system, albeit not the latest
          version, which gave you this error.

          As for the error, I had accidentially compressed the file with bzip2 instead of gzip. So
          please delete your openvpn-lzo-ls1-v3.tar.gz, re-download the file, and "tar -C / -xvzf
          openvpn-lzo-ls1-v3.tar.gz" once again. That should be it, the latest version of openvpn
          should be installed on your system at this point.

          > Do I need to set up the module?

          Yo. Execute

          echo "tun" >> /etc/modules

          , add your own setup (see below), reboot, and you're on.

          > Where or how do I set up config files?

          Files in /etc/openvpn/ with the extension .conf, like /etc/openvpn/example.conf and /
          etc/openvpn/example2.conf, will be sourced at boot time, and when you execute "/etc/
          init.d/openvpn restart".

          <http://openvpn.net> provides setup examples and very good explanations. I sent you a
          sample setup in reply to your personal mail as well.

          > Thanks.

          I hope this helps!

          -Andre
        • infobupkis
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 5, 2006
            Hi there-

            I can't get through to download
            http://www.germanistik.uni-bonn.de/ab/downloads/openvpn-lzo-ls1-v3.tar.gz
            as required in step 2. Is there a new or alternate location for the file?

            I'm eager to try this setup on my LS I.

            <lalunas10@...> wrote:

            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "schwab_one"
            <schwab.thomas@m...>
            > wrote:
            > > Then as in your (2.) below I downloaded openvpn-lzo-ls1-v3.tar.gz to
            > > my VPN directory
            > > When trying to untar the file I received an error = gzip: stdin: not
            > > in gzip format -- the
            > > terminal text is below...
            >
            > Everything you did was right, and openvpn is installed on your
            system, albeit not the latest
            > version, which gave you this error.
            >
            > As for the error, I had accidentially compressed the file with bzip2
            instead of gzip. So
            > please delete your openvpn-lzo-ls1-v3.tar.gz, re-download the file,
            and "tar -C / -xvzf
            > openvpn-lzo-ls1-v3.tar.gz" once again. That should be it, the latest
            version of openvpn
            > should be installed on your system at this point.
            >
            > > Do I need to set up the module?
            >
            > Yo. Execute
            >
            > echo "tun" >> /etc/modules
            >
            > , add your own setup (see below), reboot, and you're on.
            >
            > > Where or how do I set up config files?
            >
            > Files in /etc/openvpn/ with the extension .conf, like
            /etc/openvpn/example.conf and /
            > etc/openvpn/example2.conf, will be sourced at boot time, and when
            you execute "/etc/
            > init.d/openvpn restart".
            >
            > <http://openvpn.net> provides setup examples and very good
            explanations. I sent you a
            > sample setup in reply to your personal mail as well.
            >
            > > Thanks.
            >
            > I hope this helps!
            >
            > -Andre

          • cherrytreeproduction
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 5, 2006
              i think you will find the files needed at
              http://hvkls.dyndns.org/downloads/... lalunas aka andre uses this
              webspace now...

              his linkstation isn`t always online as it sleeps some hours a day....

              so don`t give up...you will find what you are searching for i think.

              regards
              mindbender

              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "infobupkis" <public@...>
              wrote:

              > Hi there-
              >
              > I can't get through to download

              http://www.germanistik.uni-bonn.de/ab/downloads/openvpn-lzo-ls1-v3.tar.gz
              > as required in step 2. Is there a new or alternate location for the
              file?

              > I'm eager to try this setup on my LS I.
              >

              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
              > <lalunas10@> wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "schwab_one"
              > <schwab.thomas@m...>
              > > wrote:
              > > > Then as in your (2.) below I downloaded openvpn-lzo-ls1-v3.tar.gz to
              > > > my VPN directory
              > > > When trying to untar the file I received an error = gzip: stdin: not
              > > > in gzip format -- the
              > > > terminal text is below...
              > >
              > > Everything you did was right, and openvpn is installed on your
              > system, albeit not the latest
              > > version, which gave you this error.
              > >
              > > As for the error, I had accidentially compressed the file with bzip2
              > instead of gzip. So
              > > please delete your openvpn-lzo-ls1-v3.tar.gz, re-download the file,
              > and "tar -C / -xvzf
              > > openvpn-lzo-ls1-v3.tar.gz" once again. That should be it, the latest
              > version of openvpn
              > > should be installed on your system at this point.
              > >
              > > > Do I need to set up the module?
              > >
              > > Yo. Execute
              > >
              > > echo "tun" >> /etc/modules
              > >
              > > , add your own setup (see below), reboot, and you're on.
              > >
              > > > Where or how do I set up config files?
              > >
              > > Files in /etc/openvpn/ with the extension .conf, like
              > /etc/openvpn/example.conf and /
              > > etc/openvpn/example2.conf, will be sourced at boot time, and when
              > you execute "/etc/
              > > init.d/openvpn restart".
              > >
              > > <http://openvpn.net> provides setup examples and very good
              > explanations. I sent you a
              > > sample setup in reply to your personal mail as well.
              > >
              > > > Thanks.
              > >
              > > I hope this helps!
              > >
              > > -Andre

            • lalunas10
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 6, 2006
                wrote:
                > I can't get through to download
                > http://www.germanistik.uni-bonn.de/ab/downloads/openvpn-lzo-ls1-
                v3.tar.gz
                > as required in step 2. Is there a new or alternate location for the
                file?

                Unfortunately, there isn't. My web space went down without notice when
                they switched to a different server, and I don't have a backup. The
                only binaries left are outdated and insecure; you can grab them from
                <http://hvkls.dyndns.org/downloads/archive/>. You should compile the
                most recent version from <http://openvpn.net> from scratch, my
                instructions plus a few files needed for an LS1 with the stock firmware
                are still available from <http://hvkls.dyndns.org/downloads/>.

                -Andre
              • infobupkis
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 6, 2006
                  Here's my procedure (I think) with a few questions:

                  1) compile LZO (lzo-2.02.tar.gz) with --prefix=/usr/local

                  Q: I've put other programs in /mnt as recommended in the wiki to
                  avoid space problems. Does this change my options for prefix? Should
                  I just leave it as you suggest?

                  2) compile OpenVPN (openvpn-2.0.6.tar.gz) with

                  ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --with-ifconfig-path=/bin/ifconfig
                  --with-lzo-headers=/usr/local/include --with-lzo-lib=/usr/local/lib
                  --enable-pthread ; make ; make install

                  Q: Same question on location etc

                  3) Get /dev/tap* and /dev/net/tun from a Debian PC System and transfer
                  them using tar

                  Q: I don't have a Linux box. If I can get them somewhere, where do
                  they go on the LSI?

                  TIA for your help.
                • lalunas10
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 6, 2006
                    wrote:

                    > Here's my procedure (I think) with a few questions:
                    >
                    > 1) compile LZO (lzo-2.02.tar.gz) with --prefix=/usr/local
                    >
                    > Q: I've put other programs in /mnt as recommended in the wiki to
                    > avoid space problems. Does this change my options for prefix?
                    Should
                    > I just leave it as you suggest?

                    That's up to you; but you need to make sure your system can find it
                    (man ldconfig). Personally, I would put it into /usr/local, while /
                    usr/local could be a symlink to, say, /mnt/local, or made accessible
                    with "mount --bind" (man mount)

                    > 2) compile OpenVPN (openvpn-2.0.6.tar.gz) with
                    >
                    > ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --with-ifconfig-path=/bin/
                    ifconfig
                    > --with-lzo-headers=/usr/local/include --with-lzo-lib=/usr/local/lib
                    > --enable-pthread ; make ; make install
                    >
                    > Q: Same question on location etc

                    s.a.; adjust $PATH if necessary

                    > 3) Get /dev/tap* and /dev/net/tun from a Debian PC System and
                    transfer
                    > them using tar
                    >
                    > Q: I don't have a Linux box. If I can get them somewhere, where do
                    > they go on the LSI?

                    <http://hvkls.dyndns.org/downloads/ls1-openvpn-configfiles.tar.gz>,
                    it's right below the compilation instructions ;)

                    -Andre