Need HowTo and Install Files for OpenVPN on LS1

  • schwab_one
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 4, 2005
      I have unsuccessfully tried to install OpenVPN 2 on my non-Debianized
      PPC Linkstation

      The current Yahoo Group HowToFile for OpenVPN LS1 installation has
      outdated links for
      file downloads as does the Linkstattion Wiki.

      It is not clear what the differences are between the YahooGroups
      HowToFile steps

      http://f6.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/
      YG4bQ2muDfdepjwckgpSbi_lva1GGLWyNWpxgnD9xfpOM8E5F1
      DUTq_IzvgONJLY9FopNGX
      Q4D6Sy8QXZ1e_hMHYK9ZiwWtGYA/Howto%20Files/ls1-openvpn-howto.txt

      AND the Linkstation Wiki Steps.

      http://linkstationwiki.org/Projects/PPCOpenVPN

      Here's my setup after logging in as root
      Linux (none) 2.4.17_mvl21-sandpoint #997 2005? 2?? 25?? ??????
      19:29:09 JST ppc
      unknown

      I'd appreciate some help -- I'm stuck -- I am not certain in which
      dir the files go -- (I
      assume I need the openvpn2 files, the configuration files and Lzo
      files)

      I also do not know how to set up the OpenVPN after downloading files
      -- I assume I need
      to compile (make; make install) some files and set up a module of
      some sort.

      Thank you interested group members !!

      Tom Schwab Rochester Minnesota USA
    • lalunas10
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 4, 2005
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "schwab_one" <schwab.thomas@m...>
        wrote:
        > I have unsuccessfully tried to install OpenVPN 2 on my non-Debianized
        > PPC Linkstation
        >
        > The current Yahoo Group HowToFile for OpenVPN LS1 installation has
        > outdated links for
        > file downloads as does the Linkstattion Wiki.

        As the person providing both, I can conform some links are outdated, as the Wiki structure
        has changed since several times, and also that bugfixed versions of VPN are available. I'll
        look into that.

        > It is not clear what the differences are between the YahooGroups
        > HowToFile steps
        [...]
        > AND the Linkstation Wiki Steps.
        > http://linkstationwiki.org/Projects/PPCOpenVPN

        The Wiki provides binaries I have produced with the methods subscribed in the Howto.

        > Here's my setup after logging in as root
        > Linux (none) 2.4.17_mvl21-sandpoint #997 2005? 2?? 25?? ??????
        > 19:29:09 JST ppc
        > unknown
        >
        > I'd appreciate some help -- I'm stuck -- I am not certain in which
        > dir the files go -- (I
        > assume I need the openvpn2 files, the configuration files and Lzo
        > files)

        Correct. The following is correct steps are recommended until I have fixed everything:

        1. Download

        <http://linkstationwiki.org/downloads/powerpc-hdhlan/ppc-openvpn-lzo-v2.tar.gz>

        and install it according to

        <http://linkstationwiki.org/Projects/PPCOpenVPN#toc4>

        2. Download

        <http://www.germanistik.uni-bonn.de/ab/downloads/openvpn-lzo-ls1-v3.tar.gz>

        and install it using

        # tar -C / -xvzf openvpn-lzo-ls1-v3.tar.gz

        These is the openvpn 2.0.2 binary (only) with the latest security fixes.

        > I also do not know how to set up the OpenVPN after downloading files

        See above, then proceed to

        <http://linkstationwiki.org/Projects/PPCOpenVPN#toc5>

        The reason why not everything is installed with just one command is b/c the Wiki hasn't
        agreed on a unified installation procedure yet.

        Tom, please me if that worked for you!

        -Andre
      • lalunas10
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 4, 2005
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10" <lalunas10@y...> wrote:
          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "schwab_one" <schwab.thomas@m...>
          > wrote:
          [a few typos and gramm. errors snipped]
          > Tom, please me if that worked for you!

          "Can't have me coffee until I've had my second cup of coffee" (Garfield)

          :)

          -Andre
        • schwab_one
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 5, 2005
            Thank you very much Andre.

            I am still having difficulty.

            I made a new directory in /mnt/opt/ called VPN

            I downloaded and installed ppc-openvpn-lzo-v2 as you instructed (note
            I carried through
            to install the ppc-openvpn-lzo-v2 as well)

            Then as in your (2.) below I downloaded openvpn-lzo-ls1-v3.tar.gz to
            my VPN directory
            When trying to untar the file I received an error = gzip: stdin: not
            in gzip format -- the
            terminal text is below...

            Do I need to set up the module?

            Where or how do I set up config files?

            Thanks.

            Tom Schwab

            root@SCHWABNETHD:/mnt/opt# cd
            root@SCHWABNETHD:~# cd /mnt/opt
            root@SCHWABNETHD:/mnt/opt# ls
            root@SCHWABNETHD:/mnt/opt# mkdir VPN
            root@SCHWABNETHD:/mnt/opt# cd VPN
            root@SCHWABNETHD:/mnt/opt/VPN# wget http://linksta
            tionwiki.org/downloads/
            powerpc-hdhlan/ppc-openvpn-lzo-v2.tar.gz

            Connecting to linkstationwiki.org[66.152.98.207]:80
            ppc-openvpn-lzo-v2.t 100% |*****************************| 667 KB
            00:00 ETA
            root@SCHWABNETHD:/mnt/opt/VPN# tar -xvzf ppc-openvpn-lzo-v2.tar.gz
            ppc-openvpn-lzo-v2/
            ppc-openvpn-lzo-v2/CHANGES
            ppc-openvpn-lzo-v2/COPYRIGHT
            ppc-openvpn-lzo-v2/GPL
            ppc-openvpn-lzo-v2/LGPL
            ppc-openvpn-lzo-v2/README
            ppc-openvpn-lzo-v2/openvpn2-with-lzo-201-v2.tar.gz
            root@SCHWABNETHD:/mnt/opt/VPN# cd ppc-openvpn-lzo-v2
            root@SCHWABNETHD:/mnt/opt/VPN/ppc-openvpn-lzo-v2# tar -C / -xvzf
            openvpn2-
            with-lzo-201-v2.tar.gz
            etc/init.d/openvpn
            etc/rc.d/rc2.d/S16openvpn
            usr/local/include/lzo/
            usr/local/include/lzo/lzoconf.h
            usr/local/include/lzo/lzodefs.h
            usr/local/include/lzo/lzoutil.h
            usr/local/include/lzo/lzo_asm.h
            usr/local/include/lzo/lzo1.h
            usr/local/include/lzo/lzo1a.h
            usr/local/include/lzo/lzo1b.h
            usr/local/include/lzo/lzo1c.h
            usr/local/include/lzo/lzo1f.h
            usr/local/include/lzo/lzo1x.h
            usr/local/include/lzo/lzo1y.h
            usr/local/include/lzo/lzo1z.h
            usr/local/include/lzo/lzo2a.h
            usr/local/lib/liblzo.a
            usr/local/lib/liblzo.la
            usr/local/lib/liblzo2.a
            usr/local/lib/liblzo2.la
            usr/local/sbin/openvpn
            usr/local/man/man8/openvpn.8
            dev/net/tun
            dev/tap0
            dev/tap1
            dev/tap10
            dev/tap11
            dev/tap12
            dev/tap13
            dev/tap14
            dev/tap15
            dev/tap2
            dev/tap3
            dev/tap4
            dev/tap5
            dev/tap6
            dev/tap7
            dev/tap8
            dev/tap9
            lib/modules/2.4.17_mvl21-sandpoint/kernel/drivers/net/tun.o
            root@SCHWABNETHD:/mnt/opt/VPN/ppc-openvpn-lzo-v2# cd VPN
            bash: cd: VPN: No such file or directory
            root@SCHWABNETHD:/mnt/opt/VPN/ppc-openvpn-lzo-v2# cd /mnt/opt/VPN
            root@SCHWABNETHD:/mnt/opt/VPN# wget http://www.ger
            manistik.uni-bonn.de/ab/
            downloads/openvpn-lzo-ls1-v3.tar.gz
            Connecting to www.germanistik.uni-bonn.de[131.220.90.176]:80
            openvpn-lzo-ls1-v3.t 100% |*****************************| 349 KB
            00:00 ETA
            root@SCHWABNETHD:/mnt/opt/VPN# tar -C/ -xvzf openvpn-lzo-ls1-v3.tar.gz

            gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
            tar: Child returned status 1

            <lalunas10@y...> wrote:
            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "schwab_one"
            <schwab.thomas@m...>
            > wrote:
            > > I have unsuccessfully tried to install OpenVPN 2 on my
            non-Debianized
            > > PPC Linkstation
            > >
            > > The current Yahoo Group HowToFile for OpenVPN LS1 installation has
            > > outdated links for
            > > file downloads as does the Linkstattion Wiki.
            >
            > As the person providing both, I can conform some links are
            outdated, as the Wiki
            structure
            > has changed since several times, and also that bugfixed versions of
            VPN are available.
            I'll
            > look into that.
            >
            > > It is not clear what the differences are between the YahooGroups
            > > HowToFile steps
            > [...]
            > > AND the Linkstation Wiki Steps.
            > > http://linkstationwiki.org/Projects/PPCOpenVPN
            >
            > The Wiki provides binaries I have produced with the methods
            subscribed in the Howto.

            > > Here's my setup after logging in as root
            > > Linux (none) 2.4.17_mvl21-sandpoint #997 2005? 2?? 25?? ??????
            > > 19:29:09 JST ppc
            > > unknown
            > >
            > > I'd appreciate some help -- I'm stuck -- I am not certain in
            which
            > > dir the files go -- (I
            > > assume I need the openvpn2 files, the configuration files and Lzo
            > > files)
            >
            > Correct. The following is correct steps are recommended until I
            have fixed everything:

            > 1. Download
            >
            > <http://linkstationwiki.org/downloads/powerpc-hd
            hlan/ppc-openvpn-lzo-v2.tar.gz>

            > and install it according to
            >
            > <http://linkstationwiki.org/Projects/PPCOpenVPN#toc4>
            >
            > 2. Download
            >
            > <http://www.germanistik.uni-bonn.de/ab/downloads
            /openvpn-lzo-ls1-v3.tar.gz>

            > and install it using
            >
            > # tar -C / -xvzf openvpn-lzo-ls1-v3.tar.gz
            >
            > These is the openvpn 2.0.2 binary (only) with the latest security
            fixes.

            > > I also do not know how to set up the OpenVPN after downloading
            files

            > See above, then proceed to
            >
            > <http://linkstationwiki.org/Projects/PPCOpenVPN#toc5>
            >
            > The reason why not everything is installed with just one command is
            b/c the Wiki hasn't
            > agreed on a unified installation procedure yet.
            >
            > Tom, please me if that worked for you!
            >
            > -Andre
          • lalunas10
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 5, 2005
              wrote:
              > Then as in your (2.) below I downloaded openvpn-lzo-ls1-v3.tar.gz to
              > my VPN directory
              > When trying to untar the file I received an error = gzip: stdin: not
              > in gzip format -- the
              > terminal text is below...

              Everything you did was right, and openvpn is installed on your system, albeit not the latest
              version, which gave you this error.

              As for the error, I had accidentially compressed the file with bzip2 instead of gzip. So
              please delete your openvpn-lzo-ls1-v3.tar.gz, re-download the file, and "tar -C / -xvzf
              openvpn-lzo-ls1-v3.tar.gz" once again. That should be it, the latest version of openvpn
              should be installed on your system at this point.

              > Do I need to set up the module?

              Yo. Execute

              echo "tun" >> /etc/modules

              , add your own setup (see below), reboot, and you're on.

              > Where or how do I set up config files?

              Files in /etc/openvpn/ with the extension .conf, like /etc/openvpn/example.conf and /
              etc/openvpn/example2.conf, will be sourced at boot time, and when you execute "/etc/
              init.d/openvpn restart".

              <http://openvpn.net> provides setup examples and very good explanations. I sent you a
              sample setup in reply to your personal mail as well.

              > Thanks.

              I hope this helps!

              -Andre
            • infobupkis
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 5, 2006
                Hi there-

                I can't get through to download
                http://www.germanistik.uni-bonn.de/ab/downloads/openvpn-lzo-ls1-v3.tar.gz
                as required in step 2. Is there a new or alternate location for the file?

                I'm eager to try this setup on my LS I.

                <lalunas10@...> wrote:

                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "schwab_one"
                <schwab.thomas@m...>
                > wrote:
                > > Then as in your (2.) below I downloaded openvpn-lzo-ls1-v3.tar.gz to
                > > my VPN directory
                > > When trying to untar the file I received an error = gzip: stdin: not
                > > in gzip format -- the
                > > terminal text is below...
                >
                > Everything you did was right, and openvpn is installed on your
                system, albeit not the latest
                > version, which gave you this error.
                >
                > As for the error, I had accidentially compressed the file with bzip2
                instead of gzip. So
                > please delete your openvpn-lzo-ls1-v3.tar.gz, re-download the file,
                and "tar -C / -xvzf
                > openvpn-lzo-ls1-v3.tar.gz" once again. That should be it, the latest
                version of openvpn
                > should be installed on your system at this point.
                >
                > > Do I need to set up the module?
                >
                > Yo. Execute
                >
                > echo "tun" >> /etc/modules
                >
                > , add your own setup (see below), reboot, and you're on.
                >
                > > Where or how do I set up config files?
                >
                > Files in /etc/openvpn/ with the extension .conf, like
                /etc/openvpn/example.conf and /
                > etc/openvpn/example2.conf, will be sourced at boot time, and when
                you execute "/etc/
                > init.d/openvpn restart".
                >
                > <http://openvpn.net> provides setup examples and very good
                explanations. I sent you a
                > sample setup in reply to your personal mail as well.
                >
                > > Thanks.
                >
                > I hope this helps!
                >
                > -Andre

              • cherrytreeproduction
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 5, 2006
                  i think you will find the files needed at
                  http://hvkls.dyndns.org/downloads/... lalunas aka andre uses this
                  webspace now...

                  his linkstation isn`t always online as it sleeps some hours a day....

                  so don`t give up...you will find what you are searching for i think.

                  regards
                  mindbender

                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "infobupkis" <public@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Hi there-
                  >
                  > I can't get through to download

                  http://www.germanistik.uni-bonn.de/ab/downloads/openvpn-lzo-ls1-v3.tar.gz
                  > as required in step 2. Is there a new or alternate location for the
                  file?

                  > I'm eager to try this setup on my LS I.
                  >

                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
                  > <lalunas10@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "schwab_one"
                  > <schwab.thomas@m...>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > > Then as in your (2.) below I downloaded openvpn-lzo-ls1-v3.tar.gz to
                  > > > my VPN directory
                  > > > When trying to untar the file I received an error = gzip: stdin: not
                  > > > in gzip format -- the
                  > > > terminal text is below...
                  > >
                  > > Everything you did was right, and openvpn is installed on your
                  > system, albeit not the latest
                  > > version, which gave you this error.
                  > >
                  > > As for the error, I had accidentially compressed the file with bzip2
                  > instead of gzip. So
                  > > please delete your openvpn-lzo-ls1-v3.tar.gz, re-download the file,
                  > and "tar -C / -xvzf
                  > > openvpn-lzo-ls1-v3.tar.gz" once again. That should be it, the latest
                  > version of openvpn
                  > > should be installed on your system at this point.
                  > >
                  > > > Do I need to set up the module?
                  > >
                  > > Yo. Execute
                  > >
                  > > echo "tun" >> /etc/modules
                  > >
                  > > , add your own setup (see below), reboot, and you're on.
                  > >
                  > > > Where or how do I set up config files?
                  > >
                  > > Files in /etc/openvpn/ with the extension .conf, like
                  > /etc/openvpn/example.conf and /
                  > > etc/openvpn/example2.conf, will be sourced at boot time, and when
                  > you execute "/etc/
                  > > init.d/openvpn restart".
                  > >
                  > > <http://openvpn.net> provides setup examples and very good
                  > explanations. I sent you a
                  > > sample setup in reply to your personal mail as well.
                  > >
                  > > > Thanks.
                  > >
                  > > I hope this helps!
                  > >
                  > > -Andre

                • lalunas10
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 6, 2006
                    wrote:
                    > I can't get through to download
                    > http://www.germanistik.uni-bonn.de/ab/downloads/openvpn-lzo-ls1-
                    v3.tar.gz
                    > as required in step 2. Is there a new or alternate location for the
                    file?

                    Unfortunately, there isn't. My web space went down without notice when
                    they switched to a different server, and I don't have a backup. The
                    only binaries left are outdated and insecure; you can grab them from
                    <http://hvkls.dyndns.org/downloads/archive/>. You should compile the
                    most recent version from <http://openvpn.net> from scratch, my
                    instructions plus a few files needed for an LS1 with the stock firmware
                    are still available from <http://hvkls.dyndns.org/downloads/>.

                    -Andre
                  • infobupkis
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 6, 2006
                      Here's my procedure (I think) with a few questions:

                      1) compile LZO (lzo-2.02.tar.gz) with --prefix=/usr/local

                      Q: I've put other programs in /mnt as recommended in the wiki to
                      avoid space problems. Does this change my options for prefix? Should
                      I just leave it as you suggest?

                      2) compile OpenVPN (openvpn-2.0.6.tar.gz) with

                      ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --with-ifconfig-path=/bin/ifconfig
                      --with-lzo-headers=/usr/local/include --with-lzo-lib=/usr/local/lib
                      --enable-pthread ; make ; make install

                      Q: Same question on location etc

                      3) Get /dev/tap* and /dev/net/tun from a Debian PC System and transfer
                      them using tar

                      Q: I don't have a Linux box. If I can get them somewhere, where do
                      they go on the LSI?

                      TIA for your help.
                    • lalunas10
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 6, 2006
                        wrote:

                        > Here's my procedure (I think) with a few questions:
                        >
                        > 1) compile LZO (lzo-2.02.tar.gz) with --prefix=/usr/local
                        >
                        > Q: I've put other programs in /mnt as recommended in the wiki to
                        > avoid space problems. Does this change my options for prefix?
                        Should
                        > I just leave it as you suggest?

                        That's up to you; but you need to make sure your system can find it
                        (man ldconfig). Personally, I would put it into /usr/local, while /
                        usr/local could be a symlink to, say, /mnt/local, or made accessible
                        with "mount --bind" (man mount)

                        > 2) compile OpenVPN (openvpn-2.0.6.tar.gz) with
                        >
                        > ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --with-ifconfig-path=/bin/
                        ifconfig
                        > --with-lzo-headers=/usr/local/include --with-lzo-lib=/usr/local/lib
                        > --enable-pthread ; make ; make install
                        >
                        > Q: Same question on location etc

                        s.a.; adjust $PATH if necessary

                        > 3) Get /dev/tap* and /dev/net/tun from a Debian PC System and
                        transfer
                        > them using tar
                        >
                        > Q: I don't have a Linux box. If I can get them somewhere, where do
                        > they go on the LSI?

                        <http://hvkls.dyndns.org/downloads/ls1-openvpn-configfiles.tar.gz>,
                        it's right below the compilation instructions ;)

                        -Andre