Windows Backup with xcopy

  • tom_tube1
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2 11:43 AM
      Hello,
      there is a little problem and I hope for some hints to solve it.

      I would like to use a xcopy-batch file to backup my files from my
      laptops to the LS1.
      When I use the xcopy-command as a single command, there is no problem
      but when I implement the xcopy-command with any parameters in a batch
      file the is no copy result after execution.

      Here are the command lines from the batch file:

      set Quelle="I:\Downloads"
      set Ziel="Y:\BACKUP-TEST\%date%"
      set templog="%temp%\temp.log"
      ;
      echo . >>%windir%\backup.log
      echo Starte Backup: %date% %time% von %Quelle% nach %Ziel%
      >>%windir%\backup.log
      md %Ziel%
      xcopy %Quelle% %Ziel% /m /s /v /c /i /f /h /k /o /x /y
      >>%windir%\backup.log
      echo Starte Überprüfung >>%windir%\backup.log
      start /w windiff.exe -Sdx %templog% -T %Ziel% %quelle%
      find "different" %templog% >>%windir%\backup.log
      echo Fertig >>%windir%\backup.log
      start notepad.exe %windir%\backup.log

      Has anyone an idea which parameter is wrong?

      Thanks in advance.
      Regards
      Tom
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2 7:10 PM
        I wonder if it's only certain parameters that are tripping it up.
        Of particular concern is the "/o" because I don't think you can get
        ACL information through a windows share and so maybe the final
        directory write gets aborted when it tries? Since the version of
        Samba that is on the LS is rather old, it may(does) behave
        differently than if you were attempting to copy to another true
        windows machine.

        Also I seem to remember that there is a line length limitation on
        the old MS batch language. Who knows if it still exists, and I
        can't remember what it is, but maybe by the time you feed it full
        path name information, your command gets truncated?

        Related to this, I have my question/problem. How can I get a file
        that is over 2 Gigs in size copied from my LS through a network
        connection? I can't seem to do it with ether Samba, NFS, or FTP. Is
        there some special configuration for it that I need to do or another
        protocol I haven't thought of (like the ancient "uucp")?

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "tom_tube1"
        <tom.tube@g...> wrote:
        > Hello,
        > there is a little problem and I hope for some hints to solve it.
        >
        > I would like to use a xcopy-batch file to backup my files from my
        > laptops to the LS1.
        > When I use the xcopy-command as a single command, there is no
        problem
        > but when I implement the xcopy-command with any parameters in a
        batch
        > file the is no copy result after execution.
        >
        > Here are the command lines from the batch file:
        >
        > set Quelle="I:\Downloads"
        > set Ziel="Y:\BACKUP-TEST\%date%"
        > set templog="%temp%\temp.log"
        > ;
        > echo . >>%windir%\backup.log
        > echo Starte Backup: %date% %time% von %Quelle% nach %Ziel%
        > >>%windir%\backup.log
        > md %Ziel%
        > xcopy %Quelle% %Ziel% /m /s /v /c /i /f /h /k /o /x /y
        > >>%windir%\backup.log
        > echo Starte Überprüfung >>%windir%\backup.log
        > start /w windiff.exe -Sdx %templog% -T %Ziel% %quelle%
        > find "different" %templog% >>%windir%\backup.log
        > echo Fertig >>%windir%\backup.log
        > start notepad.exe %windir%\backup.log
        >
        > Has anyone an idea which parameter is wrong?
        >
        > Thanks in advance.
        > Regards
        > Tom
      • haberschnasel
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 3 1:18 AM
          <wartstew@y...> wrote:
          > Related to this, I have my question/problem. How can I get a file
          > that is over 2 Gigs in size copied from my LS through a network
          > connection? I can't seem to do it with ether Samba, NFS, or FTP. Is
          > there some special configuration for it that I need to do or another
          > protocol I haven't thought of (like the ancient "uucp")?

          James, I use a LS1 with fw 1.45_13 and connect to its SMB shares with
          WinXP. I copied the 4 Gig "Night of the living dead" MPEG from
          archive.org without problems to and from my LS, if I remember things
          right (I could have used my USB drive to copy it to the LS, though.
          But I do not think so).
        • James Ronald
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 3 9:03 AM
            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Stewart"
            > <wartstew@y...> wrote:
            >> Related to this, I have my question/problem. How can I get a file
            >> that is over 2 Gigs in size copied from my LS through a network
            >> connection? I can't seem to do it with ether Samba, NFS, or FTP. Is
            >> there some special configuration for it that I need to do or another
            >> protocol I haven't thought of (like the ancient "uucp")?
            >
            > James, I use a LS1 with fw 1.45_13 and connect to its SMB shares with
            > WinXP. I copied the 4 Gig "Night of the living dead" MPEG from
            > archive.org without problems to and from my LS, if I remember things
            > right (I could have used my USB drive to copy it to the LS, though.
            > But I do not think so).

            James,

            I copy files > 2GB to my Kuro HG running Debian regularly as most of the
            movies I rip are a little larger than 2GB. The largest so far being
            2,674,239KB "National Treasure". I have not done much with my Linkstation
            but help test Freelink since purchasing the Kuro.

            JR