Re: debian LS1: running X windows

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2005
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Sasha" <sashapost@y...>
      wrote:

      > I have a couple of questions. If I run VNC server from
      > the root account everything works fine. [...] However if I start
      > VNC server as a regular user, then I cannot open xterm and rxvt.
      > I guess something is screwed up with permissions in /dev/pts/

      Yea, I forgot about that problem and have been shamefully running
      vnc as root. I just asked the question to www.linuxquestions.org,
      maybe someone else has an idea.

      > I have a simpler question. Originally, I upgraded the
      > system to the unstable debian distribution. Now I want to
      > "downgrade" to the stable distribution. I modified
      > the config file so that it refer to the stable distribution.
      > Whenever I install a new package I get a stable version.
      > However when I try "apt-get update", "apt-get upgrade",
      > or "apt-get dist-upgrade", it says that the system is
      > already up-to-date and does not reinstall any packages.
      > Can I go back to the stable version by typing
      > "apt-get <something>" ?

      Ahh, I just downgraded to "testing" recently. What you do is
      add/edit the /etc/preferences file to have some "pinning" entries.
      This assigns priorities to which distribution you would prefer.
      Here is mine:

      ----------------------
      Package: *
      Pin: release a=testing
      Pin-Priority: 1001

      Package: *
      Pin: release a=unstable
      Pin-Priority: 60

      Package: *
      Pin: release a=stable
      Pin-Priority: 50

      Package: *
      Pin: release a=experimental
      Pin-Priority: -1
      --------------------

      The "Pin-Priority" of 1001 puts a definite priority on "testing".
      I was previously at "unstable" but had accidently
      installed/upgraded some packages from "experimental" the "-1"
      demands removal of "experimemental". Anyway, I then did an "apt-get
      dist-upgrade" and it cleanly downgraded me to "testing" leaving
      packages from "unstable" and "stable" only if they don't conflict
      with anything from testing or with each other. The result was that
      my LS booted on its own and life is good again.

      This is why I've grown to like Debian. I've been able to solve all
      kinds of configuration problems by simply learning how to use and
      applying some advanced feature of their packaging system.