Re: installing Debian on LS1 question

  • Sasha
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "wedgemusic"
      <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
      > I've compiled kernel modules for all 3 varieties of the LinkStation -
      > powerpc-hdhlan, powerpc-hdhglan, and mipsel-hdhlan. The modules
      > include netfilter (iptables), bluetooth, usb video, tun (openvpn), and
      > a new kernel loader. The download is about 2.7MB.
      >
      > I also released powerpc-hdhlan-freelink 1.0 (stable) and a test
      > version of FreeLink for the powerpc-hdhglan LinkStation. See
      > http://linkstationwiki.org/Projects/FreeLink and
      > http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/ for more information.

      It looks that the kernel that I installed
      (from debian_2005_08_21_dist.tgz) has problems with USB.
      I would probably be better off using freelink kernel.

      Is there a *safe* and easy method of upgrading kernel
      on linkstation? It might be hard to repair the system if
      something goes wrong and the new kernel would not boot. There
      is no slot for an emergency boot diskette in the linkstation.
    • wedgemusic
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
        The kernel and loadable kernel modules are 2 different animals. We
        haven't implemented a new kernel (yet).

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Sasha" <sashapost@y...>
        > <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
        > > I've compiled kernel modules for all 3 varieties of the LinkStation -
        > > powerpc-hdhlan, powerpc-hdhglan, and mipsel-hdhlan. The modules
        > > include netfilter (iptables), bluetooth, usb video, tun (openvpn), and
        > > a new kernel loader. The download is about 2.7MB.
        > >
        > > I also released powerpc-hdhlan-freelink 1.0 (stable) and a test
        > > version of FreeLink for the powerpc-hdhglan LinkStation. See
        > > http://linkstationwiki.org/Projects/FreeLink and
        > > http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/ for more information.
        > >

        > It looks that the kernel that I installed
        > (from debian_2005_08_21_dist.tgz) has problems with USB.
        > I would probably be better off using freelink kernel.
        >
        > Is there a *safe* and easy method of upgrading kernel
        > on linkstation? It might be hard to repair the system if
        > something goes wrong and the new kernel would not boot. There
        > is no slot for an emergency boot diskette in the linkstation.
      • James Ronald
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 2, 2005
          Would it be possible to add the Kuro-HG to your list?