Re: Slimserver errors please help!

  • quimmfy
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2005
      Hi, thanks for the reply, can you advise me where you downloaded
      these packages and how to go about installing them from the command
      line. I'll give anything a go...

      Thanks

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Sasha" <sashapost@y...>
      wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > > I've got a v2 mips linkstation that has the openlink 052b
      installed
      > > and working. But i've installed slimserver a per marc d fields
      guide
      > > and i'm getting the following error.
      > >
      > > bash-2.05a# ./slimserver.pl --daemon --prefsfile /mnt/slim-
      > > data/slimserver.pref --cachedir /mnt/slim-data
      > > The following modules failed to load: DBD::SQLite XML::Parser
      > > HTML::Parser Compress::Zlib
      > > To download and compile them, please
      run: /mnt/slimserver/Bin/build-
      > > perl-modules.pl
      >
      > I've also recently installed slimserver on PPC linkstation
      > running debian linux. After the installation, I've got exactly the
      > same errors. I tried to run build-perl-modules.pl without much
      > success. Then I installed the following debian packages
      > with perl libraries:
      >
      > libdbd-sqlite libxml-parser-perl libhtml-parser-perl libcompress-
      zlib-perl

      > using "apt-get install <package-name>"
      >
      > After this everything worked fine.
      > Hopefully, something like this can be done on your system.
      >
      > > I've downloaded the latest slimserver nightly download and
      installed
      > > that with no luck either. I've also checked the /usr/share/perl
      > > directory and there appears to be 2 verions of perl 5.8 & 5.8.7,
      > > should i have two versions?
      >
      > I think you don't need two versions of perl. It is possible that
      > /usr/share/perl/5.8 is just a symbolic link
      to /usr/share/perl/5.8.7
      > (Check it with "ls -l /usr/share/perl/")
      > If not, I would keep the latest stable version, move the other
      > to some place (don't erase is right away), add the symbolic link
      > "ln -s /usr/share/perl/5.8.7 /usr/share/perl/5.8", and see if
      > it works.
    • Sasha
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2005
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "quimmfy" <quimmfy@y...>
        wrote:
        > Hi, thanks for the reply, can you advise me where you downloaded
        > these packages and how to go about installing them from the command
        > line. I'll give anything a go...

        Hi, it is very easy to do if you have debian linux.
        You just login as root and type

        apt-get install libdbd-sqlite libxml-parser-perl libhtml-parser-perl
        libcompress-zlib-perl

        and the system takes care of everything.

        I am not sure how to do this on your system. (I've never played
        with mips linkstation.) But it seems that it is not very hard to
        convert your linkstation to debian, see
        http://linkstationwiki.org/Articles/Debian
        I converted mine by taking it apart and conecting its hard drive
        to a PC, but other people say that you don't actually need to
        open the box.

        Maybe there are easier ways if you just want to run slimserver and
        are not interested in debian. Before installation of debian
        I managed to run slimserver on the original linkstation 1 system
        following Marc Field's guide and everything worked fine without
        additional packages.

        You may try to do the following: (This may or may not work)

        1. Download needed debian packages for your system architecture
        (mips) from http://packages.debian.org/stable/perl/

        2. Uncompress them is some directory

        ar xv foo.deb
        tar xzvf bar.tar.gz

        3. Then copy the needed libraries from usr/lib/perl5/ to your
        perl directory (Is it /usr/share/perl/???/ )

        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Sasha" <sashapost@y...>
        > wrote:
        > > Hi,
        > >
        > > > I've got a v2 mips linkstation that has the openlink 052b
        > installed
        > > > and working. But i've installed slimserver a per marc d fields
        > guide
        > > > and i'm getting the following error.
        > > >
        > > > bash-2.05a# ./slimserver.pl --daemon --prefsfile /mnt/slim-
        > > > data/slimserver.pref --cachedir /mnt/slim-data
        > > > The following modules failed to load: DBD::SQLite XML::Parser
        > > > HTML::Parser Compress::Zlib
        > > > To download and compile them, please
        > run: /mnt/slimserver/Bin/build-
        > > > perl-modules.pl
        > >
        > > I've also recently installed slimserver on PPC linkstation
        > > running debian linux. After the installation, I've got exactly the
        > > same errors. I tried to run build-perl-modules.pl without much
        > > success. Then I installed the following debian packages
        > > with perl libraries:
        > >
        > > libdbd-sqlite libxml-parser-perl libhtml-parser-perl libcompress-
        > zlib-perl
        > >
        > > using "apt-get install <package-name>"
        > >
        > > After this everything worked fine.
        > > Hopefully, something like this can be done on your system.
        > >
        > > > I've downloaded the latest slimserver nightly download and
        > installed
        > > > that with no luck either. I've also checked the /usr/share/perl
        > > > directory and there appears to be 2 verions of perl 5.8 & 5.8.7,
        > > > should i have two versions?
        > >
        > > I think you don't need two versions of perl. It is possible that
        > > /usr/share/perl/5.8 is just a symbolic link
        > to /usr/share/perl/5.8.7
        > > (Check it with "ls -l /usr/share/perl/")
        > > If not, I would keep the latest stable version, move the other
        > > to some place (don't erase is right away), add the symbolic link
        > > "ln -s /usr/share/perl/5.8.7 /usr/share/perl/5.8", and see if
        > > it works.
      • quimmfy
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 3, 2005
          I've managed to get a bit further using the tutorial on
          linkstationwiki but i've now got the following error:

          bash-2.05a# ./slimserver.pl
          The following modules failed to load: DBI XML::Parser HTML::Parser
          Compress::Zlib

          To download and compile them, please run: /mnt/slimserver/Bin/build-
          perl-modules.pl

          Can't locate DBI.pm in @INC (@INC
          contains: /mnt/slimserver /mnt/slimserver/CPAN /mnt/slimserver/CPAN/a
          rch/5.8.7/mipsel-linux-gnu-thread-
          multi /mnt/slimserver/CPAN/arch/5.8.7/mipsel-linux-gnu-thread-
          multi/auto /mnt/slimserver/CPAN/arch/5.8/mipsel-linux-gnu-thread-
          multi /mnt/slimserver/CPAN/arch/5.8/mipsel-linux-gnu-thread-
          multi/auto /mnt/slimserver/CPAN/arch/mipsel-linux-gnu-thread-
          multi /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.7 /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.7
          /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.8 /usr/share/perl/5.
          8 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .)
          at /mnt/slimserver/Slim/DataStores/DBI/DBIStore.pm line 12.
          BEGIN failed--compilation aborted
          at /mnt/slimserver/Slim/DataStores/DBI/DBIStore.pm line 12.
          Compilation failed in require at /mnt/slimserver/Slim/Music/Info.pm
          line 19.
          BEGIN failed--compilation aborted
          at /mnt/slimserver/Slim/Music/Info.pm line 19.
          Compilation failed in require at /mnt/slimserver/Slim/Utils/Misc.pm
          line 22.
          BEGIN failed--compilation aborted
          at /mnt/slimserver/Slim/Utils/Misc.pm line 22.
          Compilation failed in require at ./slimserver.pl line 203.
          BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./slimserver.pl line 203.

          Anybody else experienced this and does anyone know what to do next?

          wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > I'm new here and was wondering if someone could help me out, as
          i'm
          > experencing some errors when i'm trying to start slimserver
          >
          > I've got a v2 mips linkstation that has the openlink 052b
          installed
          > and working. But i've installed slimserver a per marc d fields
          guide
          > and i'm getting the following error.
          >
          > bash-2.05a# ./slimserver.pl --daemon --prefsfile /mnt/slim-
          > data/slimserver.pref --cachedir /mnt/slim-data
          > The following modules failed to load: DBD::SQLite XML::Parser
          > HTML::Parser Compress::Zlib
          >
          > To download and compile them, please
          run: /mnt/slimserver/Bin/build-
          > perl-modules.pl
          >
          > I've downloaded the latest slimserver nightly download and
          installed
          > that with no luck either. I've also checked the /usr/share/perl
          > directory and there appears to be 2 verions of perl 5.8 & 5.8.7,
          > should i have two versions?
          >
          > Thanks
        • Marc D. Field
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 14, 2005
            On 09/03/2005 03:46 AM, quimmfy wrote:
            > I've managed to get a bit further using the tutorial on
            > linkstationwiki but i've now got the following error:
            >
            > bash-2.05a# ./slimserver.pl
            > The following modules failed to load: DBI XML::Parser HTML::Parser
            > Compress::Zlib

            Hi,

            The release version of SlimServer does not yet have the binaries of
            those modules for the MIPS LinkStation. If you delete your SlimServer
            installation directory (rm -rf /mnt/slimserver) and then install the
            latest nightly SlimServer 6.2 build
            (http://slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/latest/6.2/), things should
            work for you.

            Marc
          • eddie.pugh@dsl.pipex.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 15, 2005
              Mark

              Thanks for the reply. I'm actually using a Linkstation 1 - the original PPC
              version not a MIPS as you refer to in your reply. Is the solution to the
              missing modules the same?.

              I have the Linkstation running Slimserver 5.4 without a hitch following your
              excellent instructions and a bit of off piste trial and error. The only thing
              I'm missing is FLAC and compatibility with Softsqueeze 2. I would like to get
              FLAC going and I think this is handled better in the latter v6 version which
              streams native Flac to the Squeezebox 2. I'm not sure whether 5.4 plus hacks
              will do this.

              Thanks again.