Re: Slimserver errors please help!

  • Sasha
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2005

      > I've got a v2 mips linkstation that has the openlink 052b installed
      > and working. But i've installed slimserver a per marc d fields guide
      > and i'm getting the following error.
      >
      > bash-2.05a# ./slimserver.pl --daemon --prefsfile /mnt/slim-
      > data/slimserver.pref --cachedir /mnt/slim-data
      > The following modules failed to load: DBD::SQLite XML::Parser
      > HTML::Parser Compress::Zlib
      > To download and compile them, please run: /mnt/slimserver/Bin/build-
      > perl-modules.pl

      I've also recently installed slimserver on PPC linkstation
      running debian linux. After the installation, I've got exactly the
      same errors. I tried to run build-perl-modules.pl without much
      success. Then I installed the following debian packages
      with perl libraries:

      libdbd-sqlite libxml-parser-perl libhtml-parser-perl libcompress-zlib-perl

      using "apt-get install <package-name>"

      After this everything worked fine.
      Hopefully, something like this can be done on your system.

      > I've downloaded the latest slimserver nightly download and installed
      > that with no luck either. I've also checked the /usr/share/perl
      > directory and there appears to be 2 verions of perl 5.8 & 5.8.7,
      > should i have two versions?

      I think you don't need two versions of perl. It is possible that
      /usr/share/perl/5.8 is just a symbolic link to /usr/share/perl/5.8.7
      (Check it with "ls -l /usr/share/perl/")
      If not, I would keep the latest stable version, move the other
      to some place (don't erase is right away), add the symbolic link
      "ln -s /usr/share/perl/5.8.7 /usr/share/perl/5.8", and see if
      it works.
    • quimmfy
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2005
        Hi, thanks for the reply, can you advise me where you downloaded
        these packages and how to go about installing them from the command
        line. I'll give anything a go...

        Thanks

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Sasha" <sashapost@y...>
        wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > > I've got a v2 mips linkstation that has the openlink 052b
        installed
        > > and working. But i've installed slimserver a per marc d fields
        guide
        > > and i'm getting the following error.
        > >
        > > bash-2.05a# ./slimserver.pl --daemon --prefsfile /mnt/slim-
        > > data/slimserver.pref --cachedir /mnt/slim-data
        > > The following modules failed to load: DBD::SQLite XML::Parser
        > > HTML::Parser Compress::Zlib
        > > To download and compile them, please
        run: /mnt/slimserver/Bin/build-
        > > perl-modules.pl
        >
        > I've also recently installed slimserver on PPC linkstation
        > running debian linux. After the installation, I've got exactly the
        > same errors. I tried to run build-perl-modules.pl without much
        > success. Then I installed the following debian packages
        > with perl libraries:
        >
        > libdbd-sqlite libxml-parser-perl libhtml-parser-perl libcompress-
        zlib-perl

        > using "apt-get install <package-name>"
        >
        > After this everything worked fine.
        > Hopefully, something like this can be done on your system.
        >
        > > I've downloaded the latest slimserver nightly download and
        installed
        > > that with no luck either. I've also checked the /usr/share/perl
        > > directory and there appears to be 2 verions of perl 5.8 & 5.8.7,
        > > should i have two versions?
        >
        > I think you don't need two versions of perl. It is possible that
        > /usr/share/perl/5.8 is just a symbolic link
        to /usr/share/perl/5.8.7
        > (Check it with "ls -l /usr/share/perl/")
        > If not, I would keep the latest stable version, move the other
        > to some place (don't erase is right away), add the symbolic link
        > "ln -s /usr/share/perl/5.8.7 /usr/share/perl/5.8", and see if
        > it works.
      • Sasha
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 1, 2005
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "quimmfy" <quimmfy@y...>
          wrote:
          > Hi, thanks for the reply, can you advise me where you downloaded
          > these packages and how to go about installing them from the command
          > line. I'll give anything a go...

          Hi, it is very easy to do if you have debian linux.
          You just login as root and type

          apt-get install libdbd-sqlite libxml-parser-perl libhtml-parser-perl
          libcompress-zlib-perl

          and the system takes care of everything.

          I am not sure how to do this on your system. (I've never played
          with mips linkstation.) But it seems that it is not very hard to
          convert your linkstation to debian, see
          http://linkstationwiki.org/Articles/Debian
          I converted mine by taking it apart and conecting its hard drive
          to a PC, but other people say that you don't actually need to
          open the box.

          Maybe there are easier ways if you just want to run slimserver and
          are not interested in debian. Before installation of debian
          I managed to run slimserver on the original linkstation 1 system
          following Marc Field's guide and everything worked fine without
          additional packages.

          You may try to do the following: (This may or may not work)

          1. Download needed debian packages for your system architecture
          (mips) from http://packages.debian.org/stable/perl/

          2. Uncompress them is some directory

          ar xv foo.deb
          tar xzvf bar.tar.gz

          3. Then copy the needed libraries from usr/lib/perl5/ to your
          perl directory (Is it /usr/share/perl/???/ )

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Sasha" <sashapost@y...>
          > wrote:
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > > I've got a v2 mips linkstation that has the openlink 052b
          > installed
          > > > and working. But i've installed slimserver a per marc d fields
          > guide
          > > > and i'm getting the following error.
          > > >
          > > > bash-2.05a# ./slimserver.pl --daemon --prefsfile /mnt/slim-
          > > > data/slimserver.pref --cachedir /mnt/slim-data
          > > > The following modules failed to load: DBD::SQLite XML::Parser
          > > > HTML::Parser Compress::Zlib
          > > > To download and compile them, please
          > run: /mnt/slimserver/Bin/build-
          > > > perl-modules.pl
          > >
          > > I've also recently installed slimserver on PPC linkstation
          > > running debian linux. After the installation, I've got exactly the
          > > same errors. I tried to run build-perl-modules.pl without much
          > > success. Then I installed the following debian packages
          > > with perl libraries:
          > >
          > > libdbd-sqlite libxml-parser-perl libhtml-parser-perl libcompress-
          > zlib-perl
          > >
          > > using "apt-get install <package-name>"
          > >
          > > After this everything worked fine.
          > > Hopefully, something like this can be done on your system.
          > >
          > > > I've downloaded the latest slimserver nightly download and
          > installed
          > > > that with no luck either. I've also checked the /usr/share/perl
          > > > directory and there appears to be 2 verions of perl 5.8 & 5.8.7,
          > > > should i have two versions?
          > >
          > > I think you don't need two versions of perl. It is possible that
          > > /usr/share/perl/5.8 is just a symbolic link
          > to /usr/share/perl/5.8.7
          > > (Check it with "ls -l /usr/share/perl/")
          > > If not, I would keep the latest stable version, move the other
          > > to some place (don't erase is right away), add the symbolic link
          > > "ln -s /usr/share/perl/5.8.7 /usr/share/perl/5.8", and see if
          > > it works.
        • quimmfy
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 3, 2005
            I've managed to get a bit further using the tutorial on
            linkstationwiki but i've now got the following error:

            bash-2.05a# ./slimserver.pl
            The following modules failed to load: DBI XML::Parser HTML::Parser
            Compress::Zlib

            To download and compile them, please run: /mnt/slimserver/Bin/build-
            perl-modules.pl

            Can't locate DBI.pm in @INC (@INC
            contains: /mnt/slimserver /mnt/slimserver/CPAN /mnt/slimserver/CPAN/a
            rch/5.8.7/mipsel-linux-gnu-thread-
            multi /mnt/slimserver/CPAN/arch/5.8.7/mipsel-linux-gnu-thread-
            multi/auto /mnt/slimserver/CPAN/arch/5.8/mipsel-linux-gnu-thread-
            multi /mnt/slimserver/CPAN/arch/5.8/mipsel-linux-gnu-thread-
            multi/auto /mnt/slimserver/CPAN/arch/mipsel-linux-gnu-thread-
            multi /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.7 /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.7
            /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.8 /usr/share/perl/5.
            8 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .)
            at /mnt/slimserver/Slim/DataStores/DBI/DBIStore.pm line 12.
            BEGIN failed--compilation aborted
            at /mnt/slimserver/Slim/DataStores/DBI/DBIStore.pm line 12.
            Compilation failed in require at /mnt/slimserver/Slim/Music/Info.pm
            line 19.
            BEGIN failed--compilation aborted
            at /mnt/slimserver/Slim/Music/Info.pm line 19.
            Compilation failed in require at /mnt/slimserver/Slim/Utils/Misc.pm
            line 22.
            BEGIN failed--compilation aborted
            at /mnt/slimserver/Slim/Utils/Misc.pm line 22.
            Compilation failed in require at ./slimserver.pl line 203.
            BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./slimserver.pl line 203.

            Anybody else experienced this and does anyone know what to do next?

            wrote:
            > Hi,
            >
            > I'm new here and was wondering if someone could help me out, as
            i'm
            > experencing some errors when i'm trying to start slimserver
            >
            > I've got a v2 mips linkstation that has the openlink 052b
            installed
            > and working. But i've installed slimserver a per marc d fields
            guide
            > and i'm getting the following error.
            >
            > bash-2.05a# ./slimserver.pl --daemon --prefsfile /mnt/slim-
            > data/slimserver.pref --cachedir /mnt/slim-data
            > The following modules failed to load: DBD::SQLite XML::Parser
            > HTML::Parser Compress::Zlib
            >
            > To download and compile them, please
            run: /mnt/slimserver/Bin/build-
            > perl-modules.pl
            >
            > I've downloaded the latest slimserver nightly download and
            installed
            > that with no luck either. I've also checked the /usr/share/perl
            > directory and there appears to be 2 verions of perl 5.8 & 5.8.7,
            > should i have two versions?
            >
            > Thanks
          • Marc D. Field
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 14, 2005
              On 09/03/2005 03:46 AM, quimmfy wrote:
              > I've managed to get a bit further using the tutorial on
              > linkstationwiki but i've now got the following error:
              >
              > bash-2.05a# ./slimserver.pl
              > The following modules failed to load: DBI XML::Parser HTML::Parser
              > Compress::Zlib

              Hi,

              The release version of SlimServer does not yet have the binaries of
              those modules for the MIPS LinkStation. If you delete your SlimServer
              installation directory (rm -rf /mnt/slimserver) and then install the
              latest nightly SlimServer 6.2 build
              (http://slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/latest/6.2/), things should
              work for you.

              Marc
            • eddie.pugh@dsl.pipex.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 15, 2005
                Mark

                Thanks for the reply. I'm actually using a Linkstation 1 - the original PPC
                version not a MIPS as you refer to in your reply. Is the solution to the
                missing modules the same?.

                I have the Linkstation running Slimserver 5.4 without a hitch following your
                excellent instructions and a bit of off piste trial and error. The only thing
                I'm missing is FLAC and compatibility with Softsqueeze 2. I would like to get
                FLAC going and I think this is handled better in the latter v6 version which
                streams native Flac to the Squeezebox 2. I'm not sure whether 5.4 plus hacks
                will do this.

                Thanks again.