debian LS1: running X windows

  • Sasha
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2005
      Hello all,

      Thank you for your replays on installation of debian linux
      on LS1. I've installed it and it runs fine. I've also
      installed slimserver, X windows, VNC server, firefox, TeX,
      ghostscript, xfig and they run reasonably fast. I am
      very impressed. I could not belive that this little
      underpowered box can do these things.

      I have a couple of questions. If I run VNC server from
      the root account everything works fine. But this is not
      a good habit. However if I start VNC server as a regular
      user, then I cannot open xterm and rxvt. (I can start some
      small applications like xeyes.) I guess something
      is screwed up with permissions in /dev/pts/ and for
      some reason only one node /dev/pts/0 is created there.
      I tried to manually create nodes in /dev/pts/ (as root)
      but the kernel did not allow me to do this. I tried
      "chmod 777 /dev/pts" but this did not help.
      Probably there is a bug in kernel configuration.
      I am using Japanese kernel from debian_2005_08_21_dist.tgz
      Did anybody else had this problem? Any ideas how to fix
      this?

      I have a simpler question. Originally, I upgraded the
      system to the unstable debian distribution. Now I want to
      "downgrade" to the stable distribution. I modified
      the config file so that it refer to the stable distribution.
      Whenever I install a new package I get a stable version.
      However when I try "apt-get update", "apt-get upgrade",
      or "apt-get dist-upgrade", it says that the system is
      already up-to-date and does not reinstall any packages.
      Can I go back to the stable version by typing
      "apt-get <something>" ?
    • downlalaway
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2005
        pts" but this did not help.
        > Probably there is a bug in kernel configuration.
        > I am using Japanese kernel from debian_2005_08_21_dist.tgz
        > Did anybody else had this problem? Any ideas how to fix
        > this?

        Well done for getting it working.
        I get this too with the 2005_04 dist tarball -err dont know the answer
        but look forward to a good reply. I seem to remember possibly getting
        it with root too and installed another term mrxvt. I think this maybe
        a red herring though.
        I generally use the X server for configuring only and then web interfa
        ce with it to use. So I barely notice the problem.
        If you need to launch a gui as non-root on it. Login as another user i
        n command line and launch the package - does this work.
        > I have a simpler question. Originally, I upgraded the
        > system to the unstable debian distribution. Now I want to
        > "downgrade" to the stable distribution. I modified
        > the config file so that it refer to the stable distribution.
        > Whenever I install a new package I get a stable version.
        > However when I try "apt-get update", "apt-get upgrade",
        > or "apt-get dist-upgrade", it says that the system is
        > already up-to-date and does not reinstall any packages.
        > Can I go back to the stable version by typing
        > "apt-get <something>" ?
        I believe that downgrading is difficult and likely to break things. If
        you havent committed yourself too heavily with packages an hour or so
        reinstalling (having stored any finely honed conf files) may be quick
        er than many many hours fixing broken packages.
        Of course someone may know better.
        I like synaptic mainly since it shows what's there easily.
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 1, 2005
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Sasha" <sashapost@y...>
          wrote:

          > I have a couple of questions. If I run VNC server from
          > the root account everything works fine. [...] However if I start
          > VNC server as a regular user, then I cannot open xterm and rxvt.
          > I guess something is screwed up with permissions in /dev/pts/

          Yea, I forgot about that problem and have been shamefully running
          vnc as root. I just asked the question to www.linuxquestions.org,
          maybe someone else has an idea.

          > I have a simpler question. Originally, I upgraded the
          > system to the unstable debian distribution. Now I want to
          > "downgrade" to the stable distribution. I modified
          > the config file so that it refer to the stable distribution.
          > Whenever I install a new package I get a stable version.
          > However when I try "apt-get update", "apt-get upgrade",
          > or "apt-get dist-upgrade", it says that the system is
          > already up-to-date and does not reinstall any packages.
          > Can I go back to the stable version by typing
          > "apt-get <something>" ?

          Ahh, I just downgraded to "testing" recently. What you do is
          add/edit the /etc/preferences file to have some "pinning" entries.
          This assigns priorities to which distribution you would prefer.
          Here is mine:

          ----------------------
          Package: *
          Pin: release a=testing
          Pin-Priority: 1001

          Package: *
          Pin: release a=unstable
          Pin-Priority: 60

          Package: *
          Pin: release a=stable
          Pin-Priority: 50

          Package: *
          Pin: release a=experimental
          Pin-Priority: -1
          --------------------

          The "Pin-Priority" of 1001 puts a definite priority on "testing".
          I was previously at "unstable" but had accidently
          installed/upgraded some packages from "experimental" the "-1"
          demands removal of "experimemental". Anyway, I then did an "apt-get
          dist-upgrade" and it cleanly downgraded me to "testing" leaving
          packages from "unstable" and "stable" only if they don't conflict
          with anything from testing or with each other. The result was that
          my LS booted on its own and life is good again.

          This is why I've grown to like Debian. I've been able to solve all
          kinds of configuration problems by simply learning how to use and
          applying some advanced feature of their packaging system.