cannot ping my gateway

  • REFLECTED IMAGE
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 30, 2005

      I've installed current Openlink on my LS2 successfully but face a
      problem. I can reach every client in the LAN by ping but cannot reach
      the gateway (192.168.1.1). Therefore the LS2 is not able to reach any
      host outside the LAN.

      Ping says:
      From 192.168.1.100 icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable

      arp -a says:
      ? (192.168.1.1) at <incomplete> on eth0

      Does anyone have a idea how to solve the problem?

      Thanks for your support in advance!

      Bye,
      Frank
    • lalunas10
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 31, 2005
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "REFLECTED IMAGE" <reflectedimage@y...>
        wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I've installed current Openlink on my LS2 successfully but face a
        > problem. I can reach every client in the LAN by ping but cannot reach
        > the gateway (192.168.1.1). Therefore the LS2 is not able to reach any
        > host outside the LAN.
        >
        > Ping says:
        > From 192.168.1.100 icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable
        >
        > arp -a says:
        > ? (192.168.1.1) at <incomplete> on eth0
        >
        > Does anyone have a idea how to solve the problem?

        Frank, here's my /etc/network/interfaces:

        auto lo
        iface lo inet loopback

        auto eth0
        iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.1.5
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        broadcast 192.168.255.255
        gateway 192.168.1.1

        Provided you change the address and do an "/etc/init.d/networking restart", does it work?

        -Andre
      • prb0x
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 31, 2005
          <reflectedimage@y...> wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > I've installed current Openlink on my LS2 successfully but face a
          > problem. I can reach every client in the LAN by ping but cannot reach
          > the gateway (192.168.1.1). Therefore the LS2 is not able to reach any
          > host outside the LAN.
          >
          > Ping says:
          > From 192.168.1.100 icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable
          >
          > arp -a says:
          > ? (192.168.1.1) at <incomplete> on eth0
          >
          > Does anyone have a idea how to solve the problem?
          >
          > Thanks for your support in advance!
          >
          > Bye,
          > Frank

          It sounds like you may have configured your router to only listen to
          known MAC addresses. Have a good look through your router settings -
          there might be something you have missed.

          Cheers,
          Al