Re: installing Debian on LS1 question

  • downlalaway
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 30 5:15 PM
      Trying not to divert this thread,

      Would anyone know if the modules in freelink are the same as earlier
      modules and would this new Japanese package have any useful upgrades
      (kernel/modules etc)?
      Having odd issues with big downloads so can't check.

      In answer to the original poster - again Freelink is probably easiest
      to start with (no repartitioning) but needs minor tweaks to overcome
      lack of space if lots of things are installed.

      Its all experimental but more people will be doing the linkstationwiki
      FreeLink method now so you'll get more focused help. It may take one
      or two tries so keep at it.
      I've still got the tarballs I used: debian_2005_04_09 and
      all_modules_hlan followed by ppc_modules if it doesn't work out.
      However it would be better for all to help test and verify/bugfix
      Freelink.

      <wartstew@y...> wrote:
      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Sasha" <sashapost@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > Hello all,
      > >
      > > I would like to upgrade harddrive on PPC Linkstation to 400GB Seagate
      > > and install Debian on the new harddrive. What is the easiest way to do
      > > this? I was planning to follow the guide "Debian on the Linkstation"
      > > in this group at
      > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LinkStation_General/files/Howto%20Files/
      > > . This method requires Japanese debian base debian_2004_12_26dist.tgz
      > > from http://kuro.kaguya.biz/data. That site also mentiones
      > > debian_2005_04_09_dist.tgz, but both files are no longer available.
      > >
      > > Can anybody tell where I can find a base debian distribution for LS1?
      > > Maybe you can suggest an easier method for installation.
      >
      > They have been replaced with newer ones at:
      >
      > http://kuro.dsk.jp
      >
      > I think I saw them elsewhere too, but as I said in an earlier post,
      > please give Freelink a try and report back if you have any problems.
    • wedgemusic
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
        I've compiled kernel modules for all 3 varieties of the LinkStation -
        powerpc-hdhlan, powerpc-hdhglan, and mipsel-hdhlan. The modules
        include netfilter (iptables), bluetooth, usb video, tun (openvpn), and
        a new kernel loader. The download is about 2.7MB.

        I also released powerpc-hdhlan-freelink 1.0 (stable) and a test
        version of FreeLink for the powerpc-hdhglan LinkStation. See
        http://linkstationwiki.org/Projects/FreeLink and
        http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/ for more information.

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "downlalaway"
        <downlalaway@y...> wrote:
        > Trying not to divert this thread,
        >
        > Would anyone know if the modules in freelink are the same as earlier
        > modules and would this new Japanese package have any useful upgrades
        > (kernel/modules etc)?
        > Having odd issues with big downloads so can't check.
        >
        > In answer to the original poster - again Freelink is probably easiest
        > to start with (no repartitioning) but needs minor tweaks to overcome
        > lack of space if lots of things are installed.
        >
        > Its all experimental but more people will be doing the linkstationwiki
        > FreeLink method now so you'll get more focused help. It may take one
        > or two tries so keep at it.
        > I've still got the tarballs I used: debian_2005_04_09 and
        > all_modules_hlan followed by ppc_modules if it doesn't work out.
        > However it would be better for all to help test and verify/bugfix
        > Freelink.
        >

        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Stewart"
        > <wartstew@y...> wrote:
        > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Sasha" <sashapost@y...>
        > > wrote:
        > > > Hello all,
        > > >
        > > > I would like to upgrade harddrive on PPC Linkstation to 400GB
        Seagate
        > > > and install Debian on the new harddrive. What is the easiest way
        to do
        > > > this? I was planning to follow the guide "Debian on the
        Linkstation"
        > > > in this group at

        > > > . This method requires Japanese debian base
        debian_2004_12_26dist.tgz
        > > > from http://kuro.kaguya.biz/data. That site also mentiones
        > > > debian_2005_04_09_dist.tgz, but both files are no longer available.
        > > >
        > > > Can anybody tell where I can find a base debian distribution for
        LS1?
        > > > Maybe you can suggest an easier method for installation.
        > >
        > > They have been replaced with newer ones at:
        > >
        > > http://kuro.dsk.jp
        > >
        > > I think I saw them elsewhere too, but as I said in an earlier post,
        > > please give Freelink a try and report back if you have any problems.
      • Sasha
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "wedgemusic"
          <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
          > I've compiled kernel modules for all 3 varieties of the LinkStation -
          > powerpc-hdhlan, powerpc-hdhglan, and mipsel-hdhlan. The modules
          > include netfilter (iptables), bluetooth, usb video, tun (openvpn), and
          > a new kernel loader. The download is about 2.7MB.
          >
          > I also released powerpc-hdhlan-freelink 1.0 (stable) and a test
          > version of FreeLink for the powerpc-hdhglan LinkStation. See
          > http://linkstationwiki.org/Projects/FreeLink and
          > http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/ for more information.

          It looks that the kernel that I installed
          (from debian_2005_08_21_dist.tgz) has problems with USB.
          I would probably be better off using freelink kernel.

          Is there a *safe* and easy method of upgrading kernel
          on linkstation? It might be hard to repair the system if
          something goes wrong and the new kernel would not boot. There
          is no slot for an emergency boot diskette in the linkstation.
        • wedgemusic
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
            The kernel and loadable kernel modules are 2 different animals. We
            haven't implemented a new kernel (yet).

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Sasha" <sashapost@y...>
            > <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
            > > I've compiled kernel modules for all 3 varieties of the LinkStation -
            > > powerpc-hdhlan, powerpc-hdhglan, and mipsel-hdhlan. The modules
            > > include netfilter (iptables), bluetooth, usb video, tun (openvpn), and
            > > a new kernel loader. The download is about 2.7MB.
            > >
            > > I also released powerpc-hdhlan-freelink 1.0 (stable) and a test
            > > version of FreeLink for the powerpc-hdhglan LinkStation. See
            > > http://linkstationwiki.org/Projects/FreeLink and
            > > http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/ for more information.
            > >

            > It looks that the kernel that I installed
            > (from debian_2005_08_21_dist.tgz) has problems with USB.
            > I would probably be better off using freelink kernel.
            >
            > Is there a *safe* and easy method of upgrading kernel
            > on linkstation? It might be hard to repair the system if
            > something goes wrong and the new kernel would not boot. There
            > is no slot for an emergency boot diskette in the linkstation.
          • James Ronald
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 2, 2005
              Would it be possible to add the Kuro-HG to your list?