Big THANKS to Marc Field!!!

  • onkel98
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 27, 2005
      Just wanted to say thanks to Marc for putting together such a
      fantastic guide to get the Slimserver software running on the Linkstation.

      I've played around a little with Linux before, but I'm far from being
      anywhere near proficient. Your guide was really a great help (a few
      days ago, I didn't even know one could do this stuff with the LS).

      I came across one little issue, though. Initially, the startup script
      wasn't working. After checking the /etc/rc.d/rc2.d/ directory, I found
      another process that was using S95 already. So, I renamed
      S95slimserver to S96slimserver and everything works great now.
    • Schelte Bron
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 28, 2005
        On Sunday 28 August 2005 04:49, onkel98 wrote:
        > I came across one little issue, though. Initially, the
        > startup script wasn't working. After checking the
        > /etc/rc.d/rc2.d/ directory, I found another process that was
        > using S95 already. So, I renamed S95slimserver to
        > S96slimserver and everything works great now.

        Nice that everything works for you now, but the fact that there
        was "another process using S95 already" could not have been the
        reason it was not working before. The number does nothing else
        than make sure the scripts get executed in the right order when
        the file names are sorted alphabetically.

        I have three scripts with names starting with S95: S95ppc_uartd,
        S95slimserver and S95svnd. I've listed them alphabetically so
        that's also going to be the order they will be executed when
        switching to runlevel 2. Judging from the PIDs of the processes
        involved that's indeed what happened (the PIDs are in ascending
        order):
        root 246 0.0 0.0 1428 40 ? S 10:49
        0:00 /usr/sbin/ppc_uartd
        root 257 2.8 8.3 34568 5232 ? S 10:50 18:18
        slimserver
        root 261 0.0 0.9 4420 620 ? S 10:50
        0:00 /usr/local/bin/svnserve -d -r /mnt/svn

        My slimserver starts without problems on boot using this setup.
        So indeed, thanks Marc.

        Schelte.