installing Debian on LS1 question

  • Sasha
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 27, 2005
      Hello all,

      I would like to upgrade harddrive on PPC Linkstation to 400GB Seagate
      and install Debian on the new harddrive. What is the easiest way to do
      this? I was planning to follow the guide "Debian on the Linkstation"
      in this group at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LinkStation_General/files/Howto%20Files/
      . This method requires Japanese debian base debian_2004_12_26dist.tgz
      from http://kuro.kaguya.biz/data. That site also mentiones
      debian_2005_04_09_dist.tgz, but both files are no longer available.

      Can anybody tell where I can find a base debian distribution for LS1?
      Maybe you can suggest an easier method for installation.

      Thank you.
    • downlalaway
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 29, 2005
        The howto you found here work, but there are now possibly easier ways
        using 'Freelink' developed by the linkstationwiki.org group
        http://www.linkstationwiki.org
        There's much more info and help there.
        Check that you've got a powerpc chipped LS1, but it should be possible
        with an LS2 but need a different package.

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Sasha" <sashapost@y...>
        wrote:
        > Hello all,
        >
        > I would like to upgrade harddrive on PPC Linkstation to 400GB Seagate
        > and install Debian on the new harddrive. What is the easiest way to do
        > this? I was planning to follow the guide "Debian on the Linkstation"
        > in this group at
        > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LinkStation_General/files/Howto%20Files/
        > . This method requires Japanese debian base debian_2004_12_26dist.tgz
        > from http://kuro.kaguya.biz/data. That site also mentiones
        > debian_2005_04_09_dist.tgz, but both files are no longer available.
        >
        > Can anybody tell where I can find a base debian distribution for LS1?
        > Maybe you can suggest an easier method for installation.
        >
        > Thank you.
      • Scott
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 30, 2005
          Sasha,

          I just used these instructions this week to convert to Debian with
          no trouble:
          http://linkstationwiki.org/Articles/PPCFreeLinkToDebian

          This file will convert most everything for you to Debian:
          http://linkstationwiki.org/downloads/freelink/ppc-freelink-02.zip

          The rest of the text is setup after install. It's, very easy to
          follow.

          For your new HD install, follow these instructions:
          http://linkstationwiki.org/Articles/GeneralDisassemble
          I did not format my new HD in any way when I installed it. The
          first firmware flash did the HD configuration.

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 30, 2005
            I agree with giving the 'Freelink' method a try. If for no other
            reason, the more people who try it, the more bugs can get worked out
            of the it and so the product will be made better for all.

            PS: Since I was the one that did the early work on the the original
            English lanquage HOWTO, I will warn against upgrading to Debian
            "Unstable" right now. "Unstable" is about as unstable as it gets at
            the moment because they are upgrading many major non-backwords
            compatible compilers, shared libraries, and applications. I had my LS
            in a non-booting condition for 10 days this month as I had to figure
            out what happened and what to do about it. I've since downgraded to
            "testing" (Etch) until things settle down a bit. (Apt-get did the
            downgrade quite well once I leaned how to use the "pinning" feature)

            Actually the biggest problem was that I was also syncing to Debian
            "experimental" and forgot that I was. Unstable isn't too bad if you
            are very careful.

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "downlalaway"

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 30, 2005
              wrote:
              > Hello all,
              >
              > I would like to upgrade harddrive on PPC Linkstation to 400GB Seagate
              > and install Debian on the new harddrive. What is the easiest way to do
              > this? I was planning to follow the guide "Debian on the Linkstation"
              > in this group at
              > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LinkStation_General/files/Howto%20Files/
              > . This method requires Japanese debian base debian_2004_12_26dist.tgz
              > from http://kuro.kaguya.biz/data. That site also mentiones
              > debian_2005_04_09_dist.tgz, but both files are no longer available.
              >
              > Can anybody tell where I can find a base debian distribution for LS1?
              > Maybe you can suggest an easier method for installation.

              They have been replaced with newer ones at:

              http://kuro.dsk.jp

              I think I saw them elsewhere too, but as I said in an earlier post,
              please give Freelink a try and report back if you have any problems.
            • downlalaway
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 30, 2005
                Trying not to divert this thread,

                Would anyone know if the modules in freelink are the same as earlier
                modules and would this new Japanese package have any useful upgrades
                (kernel/modules etc)?
                Having odd issues with big downloads so can't check.

                In answer to the original poster - again Freelink is probably easiest
                to start with (no repartitioning) but needs minor tweaks to overcome
                lack of space if lots of things are installed.

                Its all experimental but more people will be doing the linkstationwiki
                FreeLink method now so you'll get more focused help. It may take one
                or two tries so keep at it.
                I've still got the tarballs I used: debian_2005_04_09 and
                all_modules_hlan followed by ppc_modules if it doesn't work out.
                However it would be better for all to help test and verify/bugfix
                Freelink.

                <wartstew@y...> wrote:
                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Sasha" <sashapost@y...>
                > wrote:
                > > Hello all,
                > >
                > > I would like to upgrade harddrive on PPC Linkstation to 400GB Seagate
                > > and install Debian on the new harddrive. What is the easiest way to do
                > > this? I was planning to follow the guide "Debian on the Linkstation"
                > > in this group at
                > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LinkStation_General/files/Howto%20Files/
                > > . This method requires Japanese debian base debian_2004_12_26dist.tgz
                > > from http://kuro.kaguya.biz/data. That site also mentiones
                > > debian_2005_04_09_dist.tgz, but both files are no longer available.
                > >
                > > Can anybody tell where I can find a base debian distribution for LS1?
                > > Maybe you can suggest an easier method for installation.
                >
                > They have been replaced with newer ones at:
                >
                > http://kuro.dsk.jp
                >
                > I think I saw them elsewhere too, but as I said in an earlier post,
                > please give Freelink a try and report back if you have any problems.
              • wedgemusic
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
                  I've compiled kernel modules for all 3 varieties of the LinkStation -
                  powerpc-hdhlan, powerpc-hdhglan, and mipsel-hdhlan. The modules
                  include netfilter (iptables), bluetooth, usb video, tun (openvpn), and
                  a new kernel loader. The download is about 2.7MB.

                  I also released powerpc-hdhlan-freelink 1.0 (stable) and a test
                  version of FreeLink for the powerpc-hdhglan LinkStation. See
                  http://linkstationwiki.org/Projects/FreeLink and
                  http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/ for more information.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "wedgemusic"
                    <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
                    > I've compiled kernel modules for all 3 varieties of the LinkStation -
                    > powerpc-hdhlan, powerpc-hdhglan, and mipsel-hdhlan. The modules
                    > include netfilter (iptables), bluetooth, usb video, tun (openvpn), and
                    > a new kernel loader. The download is about 2.7MB.
                    >
                    > I also released powerpc-hdhlan-freelink 1.0 (stable) and a test
                    > version of FreeLink for the powerpc-hdhglan LinkStation. See
                    > http://linkstationwiki.org/Projects/FreeLink and
                    > http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/ for more information.

                    It looks that the kernel that I installed
                    (from debian_2005_08_21_dist.tgz) has problems with USB.
                    I would probably be better off using freelink kernel.

                    Is there a *safe* and easy method of upgrading kernel
                    on linkstation? It might be hard to repair the system if
                    something goes wrong and the new kernel would not boot. There
                    is no slot for an emergency boot diskette in the linkstation.
                  • wedgemusic
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
                      The kernel and loadable kernel modules are 2 different animals. We
                      haven't implemented a new kernel (yet).

                      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Sasha" <sashapost@y...>
                      > <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
                      > > I've compiled kernel modules for all 3 varieties of the LinkStation -
                      > > powerpc-hdhlan, powerpc-hdhglan, and mipsel-hdhlan. The modules
                      > > include netfilter (iptables), bluetooth, usb video, tun (openvpn), and
                      > > a new kernel loader. The download is about 2.7MB.
                      > >
                      > > I also released powerpc-hdhlan-freelink 1.0 (stable) and a test
                      > > version of FreeLink for the powerpc-hdhglan LinkStation. See
                      > > http://linkstationwiki.org/Projects/FreeLink and
                      > > http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/ for more information.
                      > >

                      > It looks that the kernel that I installed
                      > (from debian_2005_08_21_dist.tgz) has problems with USB.
                      > I would probably be better off using freelink kernel.
                      >
                      > Is there a *safe* and easy method of upgrading kernel
                      > on linkstation? It might be hard to repair the system if
                      > something goes wrong and the new kernel would not boot. There
                      > is no slot for an emergency boot diskette in the linkstation.
                    • James Ronald
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 2, 2005
                        Would it be possible to add the Kuro-HG to your list?