Comments on DLink DSM-320?

  • johnnykwc
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 26, 2005
      I saw some posts about the DSM-320. I am considering one also. So I'd
      like to hear your experience.

      I have a a LS1 and a Kurobox HG. I am running Twonkyvision mediaserver
      on the Kurobox. I'll convert the LS1 to gentoo soon.

      I have a netgear MP101 streaming music from the mediaserver and that
      works well. I also have a bunch of picture/video on it too that I want
      to stream.

      I have 7 & 8MP cameras. So the JPEG files are ~3-4MB. I wonder how's
      the performance on slideshows.

      I also have some MPEG4 video in AVI files. Does that work well with
      the DSM-320?

      Thanks!

      Johnny
    • prb0x
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 30, 2005
        I've only played with my DSM-320 a little but so far so good.
        I've got mine connected via the wireless interface and I'm running
        Twonkyvision MediaServer too.
        I'm sharing 11,000 Tracks, 4000 Photos and 500 videos.

        Performance playing back MP3s is fine my only gripe is that neither
        MediaServer nor the DSM-320 do seamless playback. You'd think this
        would be a major consideration at expect it to be present in at
        least one of them. Twonkyvision are considering adding it in at
        some point.

        BTW I'm running mine on a stock LSII - well with the tools and perl
        modules, and SSH Server. It takes about 5 minutes to start up after
        which I've scheduled for the database to be updated every 20 hours.
        When streaming music it's idling at around 3% CPU usuage. However
        samba and usbstorage take a bit of bash when it comes to video and
        picture slideshows. But then I don't use my LSII for anything else
        than filesharing on the home network so it's not a problem for me.

        I also have some 7MP pictures and it takes a 5 or so seconds for the
        image to load plus the 6 second delay for the slide show. I'm going
        to compile a copy of convert that will go through my picture
        collection and create a new collection resized to PAL. The LS is
        having to do a little work each time a picture is display to convert
        it to size. If you don't set the option in MediaServer then a lot
        of larger pictures won't be displayed at all.

        Video is okayish. A lot of stuff won't play because the DSM-320
        does not handle a number of formats I have. I'm consider
        transcoding my videos to 2 or 4Mbps MPEG-2 but I think the wireless
        link will struggle with this. A lot of people say if you want to
        play video on your DSM-320 you should have it wired in. I think if
        your MP4 files are 1mbps streams or below then wirelss will do fine.

        I was looking around to see if there are any hacks on the DSM-320
        and there is a way to get telnet access. However unless one is
        planning to reflash the firmware to add various bits and pieces then
        there is not a lot of point to this. However I'd like my DSM-320 to
        restream any audio out on another port so I can simply point winamp
        or anything else to an mp3 stream on the box. I've requested it as a
        feature for MediaServer. It would be handy for our parties.

        Anyway for £80 I think the DSM-320 is certainly worth the money and
        I'd ignore a lot of the early reviews that slate this unit as it's
        had a number of firmware revisions since launch.

        Cheers,
        Al

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "johnnykwc"