slimserver on linkstation: CPU load

  • Sasha
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 26, 2005
      I've just installed slimserver on my PPC Linkstation following Marc
      Field's helpful guide at
      http://fieldnetworks.com/slim/linkstation.html It seems to work Ok.
      However I am puzzled by its CPU usage.

      If I connect to slimserver using SoftSqueeze, then slimserver.pl uses
      97% to 99% of CPU when I listen to music, which is not very good. On
      the other hand, when I stream music to Winamp and use slimserver web
      inteface, CPU load is 5% to 10%, which seems to be a reasonable
      number. (I am checking these numbers using "top" command.) Also when
      I listen to internet radio through SoftSqueeze, CPU load is about 6%.

      Can anybody explain this huge difference in CPU load? I have about
      10000 songs on linstation, but this should affect CPU load only when
      I am browsing music, not when I am listening to a track.

      I am thinking about buying a Squeezbox2. It seems to be a very cool
      device. But I am concerned if it will behave in the same way as
      SoftSqueeze. What should be the normal CPU load?
    • haberschnasel
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 26, 2005
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Sasha" <sashapost@y...>
        wrote:
        > If I connect to slimserver using SoftSqueeze, then slimserver.pl uses
        > 97% to 99% of CPU when I listen to music, which is not very good. On
        > the other hand, when I stream music to Winamp and use slimserver web
        > inteface, CPU load is 5% to 10%, which seems to be a reasonable
        > number. (I am checking these numbers using "top" command.) Also when
        > I listen to internet radio through SoftSqueeze, CPU load is about 6%.

        Internet-Radio ist just a forward of an MP3-stream. With Winamp,
        pretty much the same seems to happen. You have MP3's on your HD, I
        suppose? Maybe for Softsqueeze some transcoding is necessary. Try to
        stream some CBR files or lower bitrates to check this. Also,
        Squeezebox can play other formats natively. You could try streaming
        them as well. But in any case the CPU power that SoftSqueeze needs is
        the same as what Squeezebox needs, for it emulates the interface.
        Let us know if you find a reason for these differences in CPU load. I
        am thinking of buying a Squeezebox as well - if it works.
      • Sasha
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 26, 2005
          I think that there was a bug in Softsqueeze-2.0beta9 that devoured all
          linkstation's resources. (That version of Softsqueeze is available
          though the web interface to slimserver). I downloaded
          Softsqueeze-2.0beta11 at
          https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=105169 and this
          version works perfectly. Now CPU load on linkstation during playback
          of FLAC files is about %10 and for MP3 files it is less.

          I am happy with the way how it works now. It searches though 643
          albums with 9688 songs by 788 artists quite quickly.

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "haberschnasel"