Tutorial Needed for Installing PPC Software Packages

  • schwab_one
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 22, 2005
      Using the tutorial, PUTTY & a Windows NT PC I successfully installed
      PPC-OpenLink Firmware v0.52b.

      Per the README file I followed the post-flashing installation of SSH
      and a new password.

      I can connect to the Linkstation using my LAN and web browser.

      I can connect to the Linkstation using PUTTY.

      Using my LAN I do not "see" the Linkstation as a server on my PC but
      can "see" it as a server (shared volume) on my Macintosh.

      This Mac OSX user now needs help/tutoring installing software
      packages.

      I wish to install PPC Development Tools, PPC mt-daapd (as an iTunes
      server), PPC OpenVPN and whatever additional PPC Kernel Modules are
      needed to enable OpenVPN.

      Can someone provide step-by-step instructions to install a software
      package?

      I do not know if the packages should be loaded on the PC or
      Linkstation.

      I do not know to where they should be unpacked.

      I do not know how to set up/change or see directories.

      I do not know if I use PUTTY or the Windows NT CMD Terminal to enter
      commands or what commands to enter.

      Do I have to be directly connected to the Linkstation still or can I
      do this over the LAN -- will the Macintosh Powerbook and/or PC let me
      install software?

      If I can successfully install a software package once I think I'll be
      on my way and any help is greatly appreciated.

      Thanks.

      Tom Schwab
      Rochester Minnesota
    • Air Dave
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 22, 2005
        It's Unix. You should do a search for Unix or Linux
        tutorials on the internet. That should help you with
        the command line stuff you'll need to do. There's
        also a tutorial for installing Slim Server on your
        LinkStation (which is VERY comprehensive) at:
        http://fieldnetworks.com/slim/linkstation.html

        You might get enough info from that to be able to
        apply those instructions to the packages you'd like to
        install. Otherwise, a good Linux/Unix tutorial will
        be very helpful to you.

        Dave

        http://mail.yahoo.com