Installed OpenLink .052, Can no longer access file shares

  • ddyeakley
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 21, 2005
      First I would like to say thanks to all who post on the site, the
      information has been invaluable.

      I am new to Linux and the LinkStation(PPC). I installed
      OpenLink .053 and SlimServer. Telnet via SSH, LinkStation Web page,
      and Slimserver Web Page all work great. however I can no longer
      access shares on the LinkStation from my PC (running XP). The
      LinkStation device shows up, but appears to require a password, but I
      can not get any combination of domain/username/password to work. I
      have tried configuring the share with and without Access restrictions.

      Can someone please point me in the right direction?
    • ddyeakley
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 22, 2005
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ddyeakley"
        <ddyeakley@y...> wrote:
        > First I would like to say thanks to all who post on the site, the
        > information has been invaluable.
        >
        > I am new to Linux and the LinkStation(PPC). I installed
        > OpenLink .053 and SlimServer. Telnet via SSH, LinkStation Web
        page,
        > and Slimserver Web Page all work great. however I can no longer
        > access shares on the LinkStation from my PC (running XP). The
        > LinkStation device shows up, but appears to require a password, but I
        > can not get any combination of domain/username/password to work. I
        > have tried configuring the share with and without Access restrictions.
        >
        > Can someone please point me in the right direction?

        I used smbpasswd to clear the root samba password. I can now browse
        shares where account restrictions are not enforced. I still can not
        use the WEB interface to create manages shares. I have read about
        restrictions on user names (no spaces), and have simple usernames.
        Maybe I do not understand how to enter user names and passwords, I have
        tried every combination of domain, username and password I could think
        of...

        Seems like Users/Groups and Shares might be broken when using the
        LinkStation web interface. Guess I need to read up on Samba so I can
        manage them from telnet.... Could someone tell me if this is expected
        behavior or why the LinkSataion web inteface might not be working?
      • Stephen Jungels
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 22, 2005

          Could you post the exact error message you get when windows fails to connect to the share?  There is a known windows bug which bit me when I first set up protected shares and you may be seeing the same thing.  If this is the problem, the workaround is to reboot windows or connect to the share under a different name.  For example, if you have been connecting to \\linkstation\share, try connecting to \\192.168.1.102\share (substituting the correct ip of your linkstation, of course).

          --Stephen

          > First I would like to say thanks to all who post on the site, the
          > information has been invaluable.
          >
          > I am new to Linux and the LinkStation(PPC).    I installed
          > OpenLink .053 and SlimServer.    Telnet via SSH, LinkStation Web
          page,
          > and Slimserver Web Page all work great.   however I can no longer
          > access shares on the LinkStation from my PC (running XP).   The
          > LinkStation device shows up, but appears to require a password, but I
          > can not get any combination of domain/username/password to work.    I
          > have tried configuring the share with and without Access restrictions.
          >
          > Can someone please point me in the right direction?

          I used smbpasswd to clear the root samba password.    I can now browse
          shares where account restrictions are not enforced.     I still can not
          use the WEB interface to create manages shares.    I have read about
          restrictions on user names (no spaces), and have simple usernames.
          Maybe I do not understand how to enter user names and passwords, I have
          tried every combination of domain, username and password I could think
          of...

          Seems like Users/Groups and Shares might be broken when using the
          LinkStation web interface.    Guess I need to read up on Samba so I can
          manage them from telnet....  Could someone tell me if this is expected
          behavior or why the LinkSataion web inteface might not be working?

        • David Hahn
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 29, 2005
            I have the same problem with ddyeakley and what stephen suggested
            didn't work on my machine. The only thing I have different with
            ddyeakly is that I have freelink and debian installed. :(

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Jungels"
            <stephen@j...> wrote:

            > Could you post the exact error message you get when windows fails
            to connect
            > to the share? There is a known windows bug which bit me when I
            first set up
            > protected shares and you may be seeing the same thing. If this is
            the
            > problem, the workaround is to reboot windows or connect to the
            share under a
            > different name. For example, if you have been connecting to
            > \\linkstation\share, try connecting to \\192.168.1.102\share
            (substituting
            > the correct ip of your linkstation, of course).
            >
            > --Stephen

          • David Hahn
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 30, 2005
              I have LS1 with the latest Freelink installed (debian+samba+apache).
              A friend of mine suggested installing mod_dav(webdav) on apache.
              I haven't throughly done my research yet, but it seems to be a
              rather nice solution for those who want to use LS behind firewall
              as the protocol goes through http.

              Has anyone tried doing this on LS1?
            • Hans-Göran Puke
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 25, 2005
                Yes, I have tried it and it worked. However, it requires some thinking
                concerning security and also it is not so easy to use as you may first
                think. Generally speaking, I think ftp or sftp is as good a solution.

                //Hans-Göran Puke

                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "David Hahn"