Re: DLink DSM 320 and the Linkstation

  • Tony
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 20, 2005
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "prb0x" <al@t...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > Does anyone use the DLink DSM-320 Media Player with their
      Linkstation?
      > I have a gentoo'd LSI and a stock LSII (with mipsel-tools). What do
      > people suggest. I really only want to use it for playing back mp3s
      > and photos - possibly at the same time, is that possible. If I want
      > to watch and video I'll burn it to DVD. What are the options?
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Al

      I stream films, music and photos from my LS to my DSM 320 without any
      special measures. Just share the LS folders on the D-Link Media
      Server. It just works.

      Regards

      Tony
    • prb0x
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 22, 2005
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Tony" <icedancergb@y...>
        wrote:
        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "prb0x" <al@t...> wrote:
        > > Hi,
        > >
        > > Does anyone use the DLink DSM-320 Media Player with their
        > Linkstation?
        > > I have a gentoo'd LSI and a stock LSII (with mipsel-tools). What do
        > > people suggest. I really only want to use it for playing back mp3s
        > > and photos - possibly at the same time, is that possible. If I want
        > > to watch and video I'll burn it to DVD. What are the options?
        > >
        > > Cheers,
        > > Al
        >

        > I stream films, music and photos from my LS to my DSM 320 without any
        > special measures. Just share the LS folders on the D-Link Media
        > Server. It just works.

        Dlink Media Server? That sounds like it's a windows program. The idea
        of getting the DSM 320 was not to have the PC on. I'm I all wrong?
        DSM 320 is in the post so I might have to look and see.

        Cheers,
        Al
      • Gordon Smith
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 22, 2005
          I use twonkey vision, it runs on the LS and lets me stream my files without
          having a pc turned on!

          Gordon.

          "prb0x" <al@...> wrote in message
          > Hi,
          >
          > Does anyone use the DLink DSM-320 Media Player with their Linkstation?
          > I have a gentoo'd LSI and a stock LSII (with mipsel-tools). What do
          > people suggest. I really only want to use it for playing back mp3s
          > and photos - possibly at the same time, is that possible. If I want
          > to watch and video I'll burn it to DVD. What are the options?
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Al

          > low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers. At Network for Good,
          > help bridge the Digital Divide!</a>.</font>
        • prb0x
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 23, 2005
            I had a play with SlimServer but it's a bit too much for what I want
            to do - can't believe it didn't have the ability to send the same
            stream to multiple boxes. I think I'll have a look at Twonkey Vision
            soon. My DSM 320 Should be here tomorrow :-)

            Cheers,
            Al
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Smith"
            <schmoo2k@h...> wrote:
            > I use twonkey vision, it runs on the LS and lets me stream my files
            without
            > having a pc turned on!
            >
            > Gordon.
            >
            > "prb0x" <al@t...> wrote in message
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > Does anyone use the DLink DSM-320 Media Player with their Linkstation?
            > > I have a gentoo'd LSI and a stock LSII (with mipsel-tools). What do
            > > people suggest. I really only want to use it for playing back mp3s
            > > and photos - possibly at the same time, is that possible. If I want
            > > to watch and video I'll burn it to DVD. What are the options?
            > >
            > > Cheers,
            > > Al

            --------------------~-->

            > > low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers. At Network for
            Good,
            > > help bridge the Digital Divide!</a>.</font>
          • Air Dave
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 23, 2005
              --- prb0x <al@...> wrote:

              > I had a play with SlimServer but it's a bit too much
              > for what I want
              > to do - can't believe it didn't have the ability to
              > send the same
              > stream to multiple boxes.

              Um. I think you missed something when you were
              looking at it, as I stream the same stream to multiple
              SqueezeBox players. It's the synchronise option, you
              synch your players together, then you can stream the
              same content to them. HTH.

              Dave

              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
            • Jan Holthusen
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 27, 2005
                >--- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "prb0x" <al@t...> wrote:
                >> Hi,
                >>
                >> Does anyone use the DLink DSM-320 Media Player with their
                >Linkstation?
                [...]
                >> Cheers,
                >> Al
                >

                >I stream films, music and photos from my LS to my DSM 320 without any
                >special measures. Just share the LS folders on the D-Link Media
                >Server. It just works.

                Hi Tony,
                that system only works if you have a PC running that provides the D-Link Media Server.
                Al, you would like to look at the twonkyserver ( http://twonkyvision.com/UPnP/musicserver-plus.html ). I've got it running with a DSM-320 directly from an "almost unhacked" Linkstation. I personally had problems with videos, but photos and MP3s are fine...

                All the best,
                Jan