Re: LinkStation or NSLU2 ?

  • downlalaway
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 17 7:54 AM
      My tuppenceworth...
      I did have a look at the NSLU2 and got excited because it was pretty
      well hacked into a flexible system. Then saw the linkstation and it
      was closer to what I'd wanted - of course, immediately wanted it to do
      more.
      Now I use it as a nas, personal webserver, mailserver, I can securely
      remote vnc into it via ssh and then vnc out to look at any other local
      PC. It stores video camera output then automatically processes it to
      mpeg4 or divx with mplayer/mencoder. It also monitors my LAN and plots
      graphs of the weather. If I'm working out and forget any file that's
      on it I can usually get it somehow.
      Sorry haven't used it to stream dvds or music -it might be a little
      slow for dvds? It would probably have a better chance than an NSLU2
      though due to larger processor.

      This is all on a hacked debian box but most people apparently do what
      they need on the basic LS with minor hacked mods.
      Find it great as one part for moving easily e.g. disaster recovery if
      someone takes your PC if away for a while. A NSLU2 and a HD with plugs
      etc - not so easy to carry.
      My fan's very quiet but the shelf it sits on buzzes gently.

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "wedgemusic"