Re: External USB drive Usable by both LS and Windows

  • haberschnasel
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 11, 2005
      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "andyfixman"
      > <Andyfixman@h...> wrote:
      >
      > > What about using Partition Magic to partion part of an external
      > > USB drive in EXT3, and part in NTFS?
      >
      > That would be fine except PM just creates the partition and marks it
      > as an EXT3. It does not format it (i.e. install the file system)
      > For that you would likely implore the Linkstation, which if you use
      > the scripts driven by the web interface, would likely wipe the whole
      > drive and start over again anyway, but it might be worth a try.

      I used the LS webinterface directly, it creates and formats one big
      partition, just to make shure everything is as LS wants it to be,
      because I wanted to use the LS backup-to-usb function (later, I
      switched to RSYNC for backup). Then I used Partition Magic (any other
      part-prog will do the job that can shrink empty partitions) on a XP
      machine.

      > Of course telnetting in, you could run the proper mke2mkfs
      > -j /dev/hda2 command yourself to do exactly what you want.

      With my LS1(1.45_13), the USB drive is /dev/sda1 mounted as
      /mnt2/usbdisk1. That's why I used the web interface: No need to worry
      about these things.