Set time on LinkStation

  • James S Stubbs
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 28, 2004
      Hi All,

      I have noticed that the time displayed on the LinkStation is not
      correct. (top)

      What commands can I run to set the (A) set the time and (B) to connect
      to server periodicaly to ensure it stays in time. I have already tried
      to do this through the web interface but with out any success.

      Many thanks.

      James.
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 28, 2004
        There was a bug reported on this group awhile back in
        the time setting scripts with firmware 1.44. I can't
        remember what it was, but I made the simple changes to
        the file(s) and then the web based time setting
        application in the LS began to work correctly.

        My LS is currently out-of-commission. Somehow I blew
        out the main power supply switching transistor and
        need to order one from Digikey.

        Which brings up something. Be aware that there is a
        160 Volt capacitor (probably a 300V in Europe) that
        stores high voltages for a long time after you unplug
        it from AC. Therefore be very careful when handling
        the power supply PC board or you'll be sorry!

        --- James S Stubbs <stubbsjuk@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > I have noticed that the time displayed on the
        > LinkStation is not
        > correct. (top)
        >
        > What commands can I run to set the (A) set the time
        > and (B) to connect
        > to server periodicaly to ensure it stays in time. I
        > have already tried
        > to do this through the web interface but with out
        > any success.
        >
        > Many thanks.
        >
        > James.

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • Dave Kristol
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 29, 2004
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, James S Stubbs
          <stubbsjuk@y...> wrote:
          > Hi All,
          >
          > I have noticed that the time displayed on the LinkStation is not
          > correct. (top)
          >
          > What commands can I run to set the (A) set the time and (B) to connect
          > to server periodicaly to ensure it stays in time. I have already tried
          > to do this through the web interface but with out any success.

          I assume you're talking about a LinkStation Network Storage Center.
          If not, disregard.

          Basic Setup > Date and Time Setup

          Now, this is a bit weird.

          1) Set the current time and date explicitly using the stuff in the top
          half, *especially* Time Zone. Then Apply.

          2) Configure the bottom half (to use NTP). I used 192.5.41.41 as my
          NTP server. (I still don't know what Synchronized Time is. Anybody?)
          Click Apply.

          3) In the top half, click the Current date and time button. The
          displayed time should be correct.

          (Why is this process weird? Because the timezone setting is in the
          first half, and you have to hit Apply there to set it before setting
          up the NTP server, which *uses* the timezone setting.)

          Dave Kristol
        • dbossler1
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 29, 2004
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Kristol"
            <o8l4febh@y...> wrote:

            "Synchronized Time" is the time of day that the LS is suppose to
            update its time via NTP.

            I have firmware 1.44. It doesn't seem to work. J Stewart, in a post
            Sunday, said he fiddled with some files to get this to work. I gather
            he no longer remembers how to do this. If anyone knows what files to
            fiddle with, please post.

            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, James S Stubbs
            > <stubbsjuk@y...> wrote:
            > > Hi All,
            > >
            > > I have noticed that the time displayed on the LinkStation is not
            > > correct. (top)
            > >
            > > What commands can I run to set the (A) set the time and (B) to
            connect
            > > to server periodicaly to ensure it stays in time. I have already
            tried
            > > to do this through the web interface but with out any success.
            >
            > I assume you're talking about a LinkStation Network Storage Center.
            > If not, disregard.
            >
            > Basic Setup > Date and Time Setup
            >
            > Now, this is a bit weird.
            >
            > 1) Set the current time and date explicitly using the stuff in the top
            > half, *especially* Time Zone. Then Apply.
            >
            > 2) Configure the bottom half (to use NTP). I used 192.5.41.41 as my
            > NTP server. (I still don't know what Synchronized Time is. Anybody?)
            > Click Apply.
            >
            > 3) In the top half, click the Current date and time button. The
            > displayed time should be correct.
            >
            > (Why is this process weird? Because the timezone setting is in the
            > first half, and you have to hit Apply there to set it before setting
            > up the NTP server, which *uses* the timezone setting.)
            >
            > Dave Kristol
          • Dave Kristol
            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 29, 2004
              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dbossler1" <zanbo@c...>
              wrote:

              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Kristol"
              > <o8l4febh@y...> wrote:
              > >
              > "Synchronized Time" is the time of day that the LS is suppose to
              > update its time via NTP.

              That's what I guessed, but I don't see any evidence that the LS
              actually *does* resync at that time.

              > I have firmware 1.44. It doesn't seem to work. J Stewart, in a post
              > Sunday, said he fiddled with some files to get this to work. I gather
              > he no longer remembers how to do this. If anyone knows what files to
              > fiddle with, please post.
              > [...]

              That's discouraging!

              Dave Krsitol
            • Dave Kristol
              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 29, 2004
                wrote:

                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Kristol"
                > <o8l4febh@y...> wrote:
                > >
                > "Synchronized Time" is the time of day that the LS is suppose to
                > update its time via NTP.

                That's what I guessed, but I don't see any evidence that the LS
                actually *does* resync at that time.

                > I have firmware 1.44. It doesn't seem to work. J Stewart, in a post
                > Sunday, said he fiddled with some files to get this to work. I gather
                > he no longer remembers how to do this. If anyone knows what files to
                > fiddle with, please post.
                > [...]

                That's discouraging!

                Dave Kristol
              • irvine_stock
                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 29, 2004
                  I remember the fix of the NTP.
                  My clock was always off by hours a week. If I scheduled backup on
                  the week ends it may not ever happen.
                  The file /etc/timezone has a japanese timezone "export TZ=JST-9" in
                  it. I changed it to match something in the code that was looking
                  for a different line. Somebody else saw the same thing.
                  I put "timezone=-8" in the file and then it started keeping time.
                  Now a week later it is still correct. If you don't have that file
                  make one.
                  If it works for you then document it and put it in the how to files
                  section. Everybody will continue to ask the same question.

                  Rich

                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 29, 2004
                    --- dbossler1 <zanbo@...> wrote:

                    > I have firmware 1.44. [Time] doesn't seem to work.
                    > J Stewart, in a post Sunday, said he fiddled with
                    > some files to get this to work. I gather
                    > he no longer remembers how to do this. If anyone
                    > knows what files to fiddle with, please post.

                    Sorry about that, but you caught me at a busy time and
                    I didn't have time to look up the message post where I
                    learned how to fix it. I'm still busy at the moment,
                    but look at posts 181-190 of this group. I don't
                    think this is where I found the answer I used however.
                    Maybe it was on the Revogear forums? If you don't
                    have it fixed, I can help find the document in a few
                    days (or else I should have my LS up an running again
                    by then - blown power supply transistor).

                    James

                    http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                  • Iain Stevenson
                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 30, 2004
                      On my system, the time setting seems to be done by a program
                      (/sbin/calib_time) called every day from a cron job (calib_time.sh) defined
                      in /etc/crontab. If that script fails then the time won't be updated. You
                      could install ntpd on the LinkStation but that means extra work too.

                      Iain

                      --On Monday, November 29, 2004 10:58 pm -0800 James Stewart
                      <wartstew@...> wrote:

                      > --- dbossler1 <zanbo@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >> I have firmware 1.44. [Time] doesn't seem to work.
                      >> J Stewart, in a post Sunday, said he fiddled with
                      >> some files to get this to work. I gather
                      >> he no longer remembers how to do this. If anyone
                      >> knows what files to fiddle with, please post.
                      >
                      > Sorry about that, but you caught me at a busy time and
                      > I didn't have time to look up the message post where I
                      > learned how to fix it. I'm still busy at the moment,
                      > but look at posts 181-190 of this group. I don't
                      > think this is where I found the answer I used however.
                      > Maybe it was on the Revogear forums? If you don't
                      > have it fixed, I can help find the document in a few
                      > days (or else I should have my LS up an running again
                      > by then - blown power supply transistor).
                      >
                      > James

                    • dbossler1
                      Message 10 of 26 , Nov 30, 2004
                        I didn't have a file /etc/timezone
                        I created one putting in exactly one line:
                        "timezone=-7"

                        (without the quotes)
                        Is that what you meant?

                        ... Dan
                        PS i live in Arizona.

                        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "irvine_stock"

                        Message 11 of 26 , Nov 30, 2004
                          Try it and see if that fixes it.

                          What I was looking for was a fix to a script on the
                          back end of the web interface that is suppose to do
                          all this for you, but doesn't work. There were some
                          syntax errors in a file, which I fixed according to
                          some instructions I found in a post from somewhere
                          that I now can't find.

                          Message 12 of 26 , Nov 30, 2004
                            Hi Dan,
                            Yes that is it. I am in California (-8). I checked again and that
                            still seems to have worked on both my Kuro box and Linkstation
                            V1.44. I have not found out why yet but both of the clocks are
                            right on time now. As I dig through the init code I will probably
                            find out why it matters.
                            Run "Cat -A timezone" just to see if you have a control-M at the end.
                            I used the echo to file to avoid the problem.
                            Remember, if it works you get to write an essay on it and post it in
                            the how to section. :-)

                            Rich
                            wrote:

                            > I didn't have a file /etc/timezone
                            > I created one putting in exactly one line:
                            > "timezone=-7"
                            >

                            > (without the quotes)
                            > Is that what you meant?
                            >
                            > ... Dan
                            > PS i live in Arizona.
                            >
                            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "irvine_stock"
                            > <r_obermeyer@p...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I remember the fix of the NTP.
                            > > My clock was always off by hours a week. If I scheduled backup
                            on
                            > > the week ends it may not ever happen.
                            > > The file /etc/timezone has a japanese timezone "export TZ=JST-9"
                            in
                            > > it. I changed it to match something in the code that was
                            looking
                            > > for a different line. Somebody else saw the same thing.
                            > > I put "timezone=-8" in the file and then it started keeping time.
                            > > Now a week later it is still correct. If you don't have that
                            file
                            > > make one.
                            > > If it works for you then document it and put it in the how to
                            files
                            > > section. Everybody will continue to ask the same question.
                            > >
                            > > Rich
                            > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Kristol"
                            > > <o8l4febh@y...> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dbossler1"
                            > > <zanbo@c...>

                            > > > That's what I guessed, but I don't see any evidence that the LS
                            > > > actually *does* resync at that time.

                            > > post
                            > > gather
                            > > files to
                            > > >
                            > > > That's discouraging!
                            > > >
                            > > > Dave Kristol
                          • James S Stubbs
                            Message 13 of 26 , Dec 1, 2004
                              irvine_stock wrote:

                              > Hi Dan,
                              > Yes that is it. I am in California (-8). I checked again and that
                              > still seems to have worked on both my Kuro box and Linkstation
                              > V1.44. I have not found out why yet but both of the clocks are
                              > right on time now. As I dig through the init code I will probably
                              > find out why it matters.
                              > Run "Cat -A timezone" just to see if you have a control-M at the end.
                              > I used the echo to file to avoid the problem.
                              > Remember, if it works you get to write an essay on it and post it in
                              > the how to section. :-)
                              >
                              > Rich
                              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dbossler1" <zanbo@c...>
                              > wrote:
                              > >
                              > > I didn't have a file /etc/timezone
                              > > I created one putting in exactly one line:
                              > > "timezone=-7"
                              > >

                              > > (without the quotes)
                              > > Is that what you meant?
                              > >
                              > > ... Dan
                              > > PS i live in Arizona.
                              > >
                              > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "irvine_stock"
                              > > <r_obermeyer@p...> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > I remember the fix of the NTP.
                              > > > My clock was always off by hours a week. If I scheduled backup
                              > on
                              > > > the week ends it may not ever happen.
                              > > > The file /etc/timezone has a japanese timezone "export TZ=JST-9"
                              > in
                              > > > it. I changed it to match something in the code that was
                              > looking
                              > > > for a different line. Somebody else saw the same thing.
                              > > > I put "timezone=-8" in the file and then it started keeping time.
                              > > > Now a week later it is still correct. If you don't have that
                              > file
                              > > > make one.
                              > > > If it works for you then document it and put it in the how to
                              > files
                              > > > section. Everybody will continue to ask the same question.
                              > > >
                              > > > Rich
                              > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Kristol"

                              > > > <zanbo@c...>

                              > suppose to

                              > in a
                              > > > post
                              > work. I
                              > > > gather
                              > > > files to

                              > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
                              > click here
                              > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129mv6dko/M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=groups/S=1705004750:HM/EXP=1101967110/A=2434971/R=0/SIG=11eeoolb0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185400>

                              Hi ,

                              My time zone is GMT - London

                              I created a file /etc/timezone and just put in timezone=0

                              root@LINKSTATION:/etc# cat -A timezone
                              $
                              $
                              timezone=0$
                              $
                              root@LINKSTATION:/etc#

                              Would this be correct?

                              Best wishes.

                              James.
                            • dbossler1
                              Message 14 of 26 , Dec 1, 2004
                                No ^M
                                root@JUPITER:~# cat -A /etc/timezone
                                timezone=-7$

                                But it didn't work either.

                                I still gained 3 minutes in one day
                                <stubbsjuk@y...> wrote:
                                > irvine_stock wrote:
                                >

                                > > Hi Dan,
                                > > Yes that is it. I am in California (-8). I checked again and that
                                > > still seems to have worked on both my Kuro box and Linkstation
                                > > V1.44. I have not found out why yet but both of the clocks are
                                > > right on time now. As I dig through the init code I will probably
                                > > find out why it matters.
                                > > Run "Cat -A timezone" just to see if you have a control-M at the end.
                                > > I used the echo to file to avoid the problem.
                                > > Remember, if it works you get to write an essay on it and post it in
                                > > the how to section. :-)
                                > >
                                > > Rich
                                > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dbossler1" <zanbo@c...>
                                > > wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > I didn't have a file /etc/timezone
                                > > > I created one putting in exactly one line:
                                > > > "timezone=-7"
                                > > >

                                > > > (without the quotes)
                                > > > Is that what you meant?
                                > > >
                                > > > ... Dan
                                > > > PS i live in Arizona.
                                > > >
                                > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "irvine_stock"

                                > > on
                                > > in
                                > > looking
                                > > file
                                > > files

                                > > suppose to

                                > > in a
                                > > work. I

                                > > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
                                > > click here

                                <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129mv6dko/M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=groups/S=1705004750:HM/EXP=1101967110/A=2434971/R=0/SIG=11eeoolb0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185400>

                                > Hi ,
                                >
                                > My time zone is GMT - London
                                >
                                > I created a file /etc/timezone and just put in timezone=0
                                >
                                > root@LINKSTATION:/etc# cat -A timezone
                                > $
                                > $
                                > timezone=0$
                                > $
                                > root@LINKSTATION:/etc#
                                >
                                > Would this be correct?
                                >
                                > Best wishes.
                                >

                                > James.
                              • irvine_stock
                                Message 15 of 26 , Dec 1, 2004
                                  I know that is all I changed.
                                  I will see what else I run into. Sorry.
                                  Anybody else fix this some other way?

                                  Rich
                                  wrote:

                                  > No ^M
                                  > root@JUPITER:~# cat -A /etc/timezone
                                  > timezone=-7$
                                  >
                                  > But it didn't work either.
                                  >
                                  > I still gained 3 minutes in one day
                                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, James S Stubbs
                                  > <stubbsjuk@y...> wrote:
                                  > > irvine_stock wrote:
                                  > >

                                  > > > Hi Dan,
                                  > > > Yes that is it. I am in California (-8). I checked again and
                                  that
                                  > > > still seems to have worked on both my Kuro box and Linkstation
                                  > > > V1.44. I have not found out why yet but both of the clocks are
                                  > > > right on time now. As I dig through the init code I will
                                  probably
                                  > > > find out why it matters.
                                  > > > Run "Cat -A timezone" just to see if you have a control-M at
                                  the end.
                                  > > > I used the echo to file to avoid the problem.
                                  > > > Remember, if it works you get to write an essay on it and post
                                  it in
                                  > > > the how to section. :-)
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Rich
                                  > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dbossler1"
                                  <zanbo@c...>

                                  > > > on
                                  TZ=JST-9"
                                  > > > in
                                  > > > looking
                                  > > > file
                                  > > > files

                                  Kristol"

                                  > > > suppose to

                                  Stewart,
                                  > > > in a
                                  > > > work. I

                                  > > > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
                                  > > > click here

                                  <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129mv6dko/M=298184.5639630.6699735.30011
                                  76/D=groups/S=1705004750:HM/EXP=1101967110/A=2434971/R=0/SIG=11eeoolb
                                  0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185400>

                                  subject=Unsubscribe>

                                  > > > * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
                                  of

                                  > > Hi ,
                                  > >
                                  > > My time zone is GMT - London
                                  > >
                                  > > I created a file /etc/timezone and just put in timezone=0
                                  > >
                                  > > root@LINKSTATION:/etc# cat -A timezone
                                  > > $
                                  > > $
                                  > > timezone=0$
                                  > > $
                                  > > root@LINKSTATION:/etc#
                                  > >
                                  > > Would this be correct?
                                  > >
                                  > > Best wishes.
                                  > >

                                  > > James.
                                • Iain Stevenson
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Dec 2, 2004
                                    --On Wednesday, December 1, 2004 8:38 pm +0000 James S Stubbs
                                    <stubbsjuk@...> wrote:

                                    > irvine_stock wrote:
                                    >

                                    >> Hi Dan,
                                    >> Yes that is it. I am in California (-8). I checked again and that
                                    >> still seems to have worked on both my Kuro box and Linkstation
                                    >> V1.44. I have not found out why yet but both of the clocks are
                                    >> right on time now. As I dig through the init code I will probably
                                    >> find out why it matters.
                                    >> Run "Cat -A timezone" just to see if you have a control-M at the end.
                                    >> I used the echo to file to avoid the problem.
                                    >> Remember, if it works you get to write an essay on it and post it in
                                    >> the how to section. :-)
                                    >>
                                    >> Rich
                                    >> --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dbossler1" <zanbo@c...>
                                    >> wrote:
                                    >> >
                                    >> > I didn't have a file /etc/timezone
                                    >> > I created one putting in exactly one line:
                                    >> > "timezone=-7"
                                    >> >

                                    >> > (without the quotes)
                                    >> > Is that what you meant?
                                    >> >
                                    >> > ... Dan
                                    >> > PS i live in Arizona.
                                    >> >
                                    >> > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "irvine_stock"

                                    >> on
                                    >> in
                                    >> looking
                                    >> file
                                    >> files

                                    >> suppose to

                                    >> in a
                                    >> work. I

                                    >> *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
                                    >> click here
                                    >> <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129mv6dko/M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/
                                    >> D=groups/S=1705004750:HM/EXP=1101967110/A=2434971/R=0/SIG=11eeoolb0/*htt
                                    >> p://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185400>

                                    >> subscribe>

                                    > Hi ,
                                    >
                                    > My time zone is GMT - London
                                    >
                                    > I created a file /etc/timezone and just put in timezone=0
                                    >
                                    > root@LINKSTATION:/etc# cat -A timezone
                                    > $
                                    > $
                                    > timezone=0$
                                    > $
                                    > root@LINKSTATION:/etc#
                                    >
                                    > Would this be correct?
                                    >
                                    > Best wishes.
                                    >

                                    > James.

                                    Well, it seems as though the LinkStation synchronises (or should
                                    synchronise) its RTC and the System time daily using the script
                                    /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh. Running that from the command line sets the
                                    time right - but then it drifts again for reasons I don't understand yet.
                                    If that calib_time.sh script is running correctly from cron then the time
                                    should be about right every morning at least! There is a file
                                    /etc/melco/info which has a variable "timezone" that needs to be your local
                                    timezone.

                                    Iain
                                  • dbossler1
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Dec 2, 2004
                                      another day... another 3 minutes.

                                      Something else is wrong. Any ideas?
                                      wrote:

                                      > No ^M
                                      > root@JUPITER:~# cat -A /etc/timezone
                                      > timezone=-7$
                                      >
                                      > But it didn't work either.
                                      >
                                      > I still gained 3 minutes in one day
                                      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, James S Stubbs
                                      > <stubbsjuk@y...> wrote:
                                      > > irvine_stock wrote:
                                      > >

                                      > > > Hi Dan,
                                      > > > Yes that is it. I am in California (-8). I checked again and that
                                      > > > still seems to have worked on both my Kuro box and Linkstation
                                      > > > V1.44. I have not found out why yet but both of the clocks are
                                      > > > right on time now. As I dig through the init code I will probably
                                      > > > find out why it matters.
                                      > > > Run "Cat -A timezone" just to see if you have a control-M at the
                                      end.
                                      > > > I used the echo to file to avoid the problem.
                                      > > > Remember, if it works you get to write an essay on it and post it in
                                      > > > the how to section. :-)

                                    • sjungels
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Dec 3, 2004
                                        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Iain Stevenson <iain@i...>
                                        wrote:

                                        > Well, it seems as though the LinkStation synchronises (or should
                                        > synchronise) its RTC and the System time daily using the script
                                        > /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh. Running that from the command line sets the
                                        > time right - but then it drifts again for reasons I don't understand
                                        yet.
                                        > If that calib_time.sh script is running correctly from cron then the
                                        time
                                        > should be about right every morning at least! There is a file
                                        > /etc/melco/info which has a variable "timezone" that needs to be
                                        your local
                                        > timezone.
                                        >
                                        > Iain

                                        This gave me an idea: since calib_time.sh sets the time correctly,
                                        maybe there is nothing wrong with the linkstation real time clock and
                                        no need for ntp. What I have done now is set calib_time.sh to run
                                        every hour instead of once a day, and it seems to be working. What
                                        happens is that the time drifts about 20 seconds every hour, and then
                                        calib_time.sh is called and it resets to the correct time.

                                        If you want to try this, change your /etc/crontab to the following:

                                        ---- snip ----
                                        SHELL=/bin/bash
                                        PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
                                        MAILTO=
                                        HOME=/

                                        02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
                                        05 * * * * root /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh
                                        ----snip ----

                                        If the real time clock holds up for me, I will conclude that syncing
                                        with ntp once a day is overkill, bypass the web interface, and set up
                                        by hand to call it once a week.
                                      • Rick Flower
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Dec 3, 2004
                                          Also keep in mind that IF you setup a mail server to redirect emails from
                                          "root", you'll get these nice little emails every time that cron job fires
                                          off telling you exactly what happened.. I get those once a day forwarded
                                          to my account....

                                          -- Rick

                                          On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, sjungels wrote:

                                          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Iain Stevenson <iain@i...>
                                          > wrote:
                                          >

                                          >> Well, it seems as though the LinkStation synchronises (or should
                                          >> synchronise) its RTC and the System time daily using the script
                                          >> /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh. Running that from the command line sets the
                                          >> time right - but then it drifts again for reasons I don't understand
                                          > yet.
                                          >> If that calib_time.sh script is running correctly from cron then the
                                          > time
                                          >> should be about right every morning at least! There is a file
                                          >> /etc/melco/info which has a variable "timezone" that needs to be
                                          > your local
                                          >> timezone.
                                          >>
                                          >> Iain
                                          >
                                          > This gave me an idea: since calib_time.sh sets the time correctly,
                                          > maybe there is nothing wrong with the linkstation real time clock and
                                          > no need for ntp. What I have done now is set calib_time.sh to run
                                          > every hour instead of once a day, and it seems to be working. What
                                          > happens is that the time drifts about 20 seconds every hour, and then
                                          > calib_time.sh is called and it resets to the correct time.
                                          >
                                          > If you want to try this, change your /etc/crontab to the following:
                                          >
                                          > ---- snip ----
                                          > SHELL=/bin/bash
                                          > PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
                                          > MAILTO=
                                          > HOME=/
                                          >
                                          > 02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
                                          > 05 * * * * root /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh
                                          > ----snip ----
                                          >
                                          > If the real time clock holds up for me, I will conclude that syncing
                                          > with ntp once a day is overkill, bypass the web interface, and set up
                                          > by hand to call it once a week.
                                          >

                                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                        • sjungels
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Dec 3, 2004
                                            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Rick Flower <rickf@c...>
                                            wrote:
                                            > Also keep in mind that IF you setup a mail server to redirect emails
                                            from
                                            > "root", you'll get these nice little emails every time that cron job
                                            fires
                                            > off telling you exactly what happened.. I get those once a day
                                            forwarded
                                            > to my account....
                                            >
                                            > -- Rick

                                            Even once a day must get pretty annoying. Try changing
                                            /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh
                                            /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh >/dev/null 2>&1

                                            --Stephen

                                            > On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, sjungels wrote:
                                            >

                                            > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Iain Stevenson <iain@i...>
                                            > > wrote:
                                            > >

                                            > >> Well, it seems as though the LinkStation synchronises (or should
                                            > >> synchronise) its RTC and the System time daily using the script
                                            > >> /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh. Running that from the command line
                                            sets the
                                            > >> time right - but then it drifts again for reasons I don't understand
                                            > > yet.
                                            > >> If that calib_time.sh script is running correctly from cron then the
                                            > > time
                                            > >> should be about right every morning at least! There is a file
                                            > >> /etc/melco/info which has a variable "timezone" that needs to be
                                            > > your local
                                            > >> timezone.
                                            > >>
                                            > >> Iain
                                            > >
                                            > > This gave me an idea: since calib_time.sh sets the time correctly,
                                            > > maybe there is nothing wrong with the linkstation real time clock and
                                            > > no need for ntp. What I have done now is set calib_time.sh to run
                                            > > every hour instead of once a day, and it seems to be working. What
                                            > > happens is that the time drifts about 20 seconds every hour, and then
                                            > > calib_time.sh is called and it resets to the correct time.
                                            > >
                                            > > If you want to try this, change your /etc/crontab to the following:
                                            > >
                                            > > ---- snip ----
                                            > > SHELL=/bin/bash
                                            > > PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
                                            > > MAILTO=
                                            > > HOME=/
                                            > >
                                            > > 02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
                                            > > 05 * * * * root /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh
                                            > > ----snip ----
                                            > >
                                            > > If the real time clock holds up for me, I will conclude that syncing
                                            > > with ntp once a day is overkill, bypass the web interface, and set up
                                            > > by hand to call it once a week.
                                            > >

                                            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                          • Rick Flower
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Dec 3, 2004
                                              Yeah, I knew that, but haven't done it yet.. (8->

                                              -- Rick

                                              On Dec 3, 2004, at 4:59 PM, sjungels wrote:

                                              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Rick Flower <rickf@c...>
                                              > wrote:
                                              >> Also keep in mind that IF you setup a mail server to redirect emails
                                              > from
                                              >> "root", you'll get these nice little emails every time that cron job
                                              > fires
                                              >> off telling you exactly what happened.. I get those once a day
                                              > forwarded
                                              >> to my account....
                                              >>
                                              >> -- Rick
                                              >>

                                              > Even once a day must get pretty annoying. Try changing
                                              > /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh
                                              > /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh >/dev/null 2>&1
                                              >
                                              > --Stephen
                                              >

                                              >> On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, sjungels wrote:
                                              >>

                                              >>> --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Iain Stevenson
                                              >>> <iain@i...>

                                              > sets the
                                              >>> yet.
                                              >>> time
                                              >>> your local

                                              >>> This gave me an idea: since calib_time.sh sets the time correctly,
                                              >>> maybe there is nothing wrong with the linkstation real time clock and
                                              >>> no need for ntp. What I have done now is set calib_time.sh to run
                                              >>> every hour instead of once a day, and it seems to be working. What
                                              >>> happens is that the time drifts about 20 seconds every hour, and then
                                              >>> calib_time.sh is called and it resets to the correct time.
                                              >>>
                                              >>> If you want to try this, change your /etc/crontab to the following:
                                              >>>
                                              >>> ---- snip ----
                                              >>> SHELL=/bin/bash
                                              >>> PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
                                              >>> MAILTO=
                                              >>> HOME=/
                                              >>>
                                              >>> 02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
                                              >>> 05 * * * * root /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh
                                              >>> ----snip ----
                                              >>>
                                              >>> If the real time clock holds up for me, I will conclude that syncing
                                              >>> with ntp once a day is overkill, bypass the web interface, and set up
                                              >>> by hand to call it once a week.
                                              >>>

                                              >>> Yahoo! Groups Links

                                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                            • dbossler1
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Dec 5, 2004
                                                Hey Stephan,
                                                The LS has two clocks?! (Reminds me of the joke, a man with one watch
                                                knows what time it is, a man with two watches is never sure)

                                                Anyway, this fix seems to be working for me. Thanks for the tip. I
                                                will continue to monitor. So is the ntp script suppose to update
                                                system time, or the RTC?

                                                ... Dan

                                                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "sjungels" <stephen@j...>
                                                wrote:

                                                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Iain Stevenson <iain@i...>
                                                > wrote:
                                                >

                                                > > Well, it seems as though the LinkStation synchronises (or should
                                                > > synchronise) its RTC and the System time daily using the script
                                                > > /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh. Running that from the command line
                                                sets the
                                                > > time right - but then it drifts again for reasons I don't understand
                                                > yet.
                                                > > If that calib_time.sh script is running correctly from cron then the
                                                > time
                                                > > should be about right every morning at least! There is a file
                                                > > /etc/melco/info which has a variable "timezone" that needs to be
                                                > your local
                                                > > timezone.
                                                > >
                                                > > Iain
                                                >
                                                > This gave me an idea: since calib_time.sh sets the time correctly,
                                                > maybe there is nothing wrong with the linkstation real time clock and
                                                > no need for ntp. What I have done now is set calib_time.sh to run
                                                > every hour instead of once a day, and it seems to be working. What
                                                > happens is that the time drifts about 20 seconds every hour, and then
                                                > calib_time.sh is called and it resets to the correct time.
                                                >
                                                > If you want to try this, change your /etc/crontab to the following:
                                                >
                                                > ---- snip ----
                                                > SHELL=/bin/bash
                                                > PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
                                                > MAILTO=
                                                > HOME=/
                                                >
                                                > 02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
                                                > 05 * * * * root /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh
                                                > ----snip ----
                                                >
                                                > If the real time clock holds up for me, I will conclude that syncing
                                                > with ntp once a day is overkill, bypass the web interface, and set up
                                                > by hand to call it once a week.
                                              • sjungels
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Dec 5, 2004
                                                  You're welcome. I think ntpdate updates the RTC, but I'm not
                                                  absolutely certain. My RTC has the correct time, which suggests it is
                                                  being set by NTP, but maybe it's just a very accurate clock.

                                                  Be warned that this is not a perfect solution. It creates a
                                                  discontinuity every hour when the time is set. If you have a cron job
                                                  scheduled at about that time, it might get run twice or not at all. I
                                                  haven't come up with anything better, though.

                                                  -- Stephen

                                                  wrote:

                                                  > Hey Stephan,
                                                  > The LS has two clocks?! (Reminds me of the joke, a man with one watch
                                                  > knows what time it is, a man with two watches is never sure)
                                                  >
                                                  > Anyway, this fix seems to be working for me. Thanks for the tip. I
                                                  > will continue to monitor. So is the ntp script suppose to update
                                                  > system time, or the RTC?
                                                  >
                                                  > ... Dan
                                                  >
                                                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "sjungels" <stephen@j...>
                                                  > wrote:
                                                  > >
                                                  > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Iain Stevenson <iain@i...>
                                                  > > wrote:
                                                  > >

                                                  > > > Well, it seems as though the LinkStation synchronises (or should
                                                  > > > synchronise) its RTC and the System time daily using the script
                                                  > > > /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh. Running that from the command line
                                                  > sets the
                                                  > > > time right - but then it drifts again for reasons I don't understand
                                                  > > yet.
                                                  > > > If that calib_time.sh script is running correctly from cron then the
                                                  > > time
                                                  > > > should be about right every morning at least! There is a file
                                                  > > > /etc/melco/info which has a variable "timezone" that needs to be
                                                  > > your local
                                                  > > > timezone.
                                                  > > >
                                                  > > > Iain
                                                  > >
                                                  > > This gave me an idea: since calib_time.sh sets the time correctly,
                                                  > > maybe there is nothing wrong with the linkstation real time clock and
                                                  > > no need for ntp. What I have done now is set calib_time.sh to run
                                                  > > every hour instead of once a day, and it seems to be working. What
                                                  > > happens is that the time drifts about 20 seconds every hour, and then
                                                  > > calib_time.sh is called and it resets to the correct time.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > If you want to try this, change your /etc/crontab to the following:
                                                  > >
                                                  > > ---- snip ----
                                                  > > SHELL=/bin/bash
                                                  > > PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
                                                  > > MAILTO=
                                                  > > HOME=/
                                                  > >
                                                  > > 02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
                                                  > > 05 * * * * root /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh
                                                  > > ----snip ----
                                                  > >
                                                  > > If the real time clock holds up for me, I will conclude that syncing
                                                  > > with ntp once a day is overkill, bypass the web interface, and set up
                                                  > > by hand to call it once a week.
                                                • dbossler1
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Dec 5, 2004
                                                    how do I tell what the RTC time is?

                                                    wrote:

                                                    > You're welcome. I think ntpdate updates the RTC, but I'm not
                                                    > absolutely certain. My RTC has the correct time, which suggests it is
                                                    > being set by NTP, but maybe it's just a very accurate clock.
                                                    >
                                                    > Be warned that this is not a perfect solution. It creates a
                                                    > discontinuity every hour when the time is set. If you have a cron job
                                                    > scheduled at about that time, it might get run twice or not at all. I
                                                    > haven't come up with anything better, though.
                                                    >
                                                    > -- Stephen
                                                  • sjungels
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Dec 5, 2004
                                                      Right after /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh is run (once an hour if you
                                                      changed your crontab), the RTC and the system time will be the same.
                                                      Then you can read the system time simply by typing "date" (but you
                                                      probably knew that).

                                                      wrote:

                                                      > how do I tell what the RTC time is?
                                                      >
                                                      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "sjungels" <stephen@j...>
                                                      > wrote:
                                                      > >
                                                      > > You're welcome. I think ntpdate updates the RTC, but I'm not
                                                      > > absolutely certain. My RTC has the correct time, which suggests it is
                                                      > > being set by NTP, but maybe it's just a very accurate clock.
                                                      > >
                                                      > > Be warned that this is not a perfect solution. It creates a
                                                      > > discontinuity every hour when the time is set. If you have a cron job
                                                      > > scheduled at about that time, it might get run twice or not at all. I
                                                      > > haven't come up with anything better, though.
                                                      > >
                                                      > > -- Stephen
                                                    • Sal D'Anna
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Dec 5, 2004

                                                        Hello,

                                                        Thank you for all the great info.  I’m new to the list and have a question.  Is it possible to have two USB disks connected to the LinkStation?  I can’t seem to get it to recognize the second USB drive.  If I try to make a share folder named usbdisk2 it tells me that I can’t use that name so that makes me think that it knows it is there but just won’t link me to it.  The other question I have is why the LinkStation is sharing a printer that does not exist since I have none connected to it?

                                                        Thanks,

                                                        SBD