USB disk file system accesible to Windows XP

  • Paul Taylor
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 6, 2005
      All -

      This is probably a bit of a simple question, but I need some advice.
      I have an external USB HD that I'd like to able to connect to the LS,
      but occasionally use directly hooked up to my Windows XP machine. My
      questions are:

      - What is the best format to use? I've currently formatted the disk
      as EXT3, but have not been impressed with the drivers I have found for
      Windows to read/write EXT3. I've looked at EXT2IFS and EXT2FSD and
      neither of them seem to have write support for EXT3 with Windows XP
      SP2.

      - So if should keep using EXT3, what driver should I use to access
      the disk from Windows XP SP2? And will Windows just recognize my disk
      when I connect it, or do I have to do some command line mounting to
      get it to work?

      - If there is an alternate file system I should use, what is it?
      I've heard some things about FAT32 being an option. Would that be
      good? If so, how do I go about formatting the drive that way and
      making sure the LS can see it.

      Note: My LS is currently vanilla, but I would be open to minor
      modifications if they would pay off significantly.

      Thanks...

      pt
    • wedgemusic
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 7, 2005