Re: How to setup a regular web page access?

  • f_massey
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 6, 2005
      It's PPC. I downloaded the openLink 052b. When I gather enough
      courage I'm gonna do it. Thanks for all the info James!

      <jronald@c...> wrote:
      > Entering "uname -m" at the command prompt will display the
      processor/machine
      > type.
      > I have tried the openlink install on my LS (PPC) and it seems to be
      great.
      > It's the base
      > linkstation v 1.47 plus many of the tools pre installed. It's
      important to
      > know
      > which processor you have on your link station before you proceed.
      >
      > check out http://linkstationwiki.org/ for the details and more
      information.

      > > I assume PPC as it's not a linkstation II. May be wrong though. Is
      > > there a way to check that besides opening the box and looking on
      the
      > > cpu?
      > >
      > > OpenLink also contains wget. I hesitate to update to that firmware
      > > though. Since I know next to nothing about linux, it seems a risk.
      > >
      > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Ronald"
      > > <jronald@c...> wrote:
      > >> Looks like your correct. It seems that wget is part of the
      > > openlink,
      > >> freelink and Debian projects but not included in the tools. I'm
      > > running
      > >> Debian and helping to test freelink. Perhaps someone will chime
      in
      > > with a
      > >> source for you or update the tools. Do you have a PPC or MIPSEL
      > > based
      > >> Linkstation?

    • Roy M. Silvernail
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 6, 2005
        Quoting johnnypirish <irishjohnnyp-boards@...>:

        > Read up on wget. I think that maybe what you are looking for. It
        > will regularly download webpages/images.

        FWIW, this is exactly what I do to keep my dynamic domain up to date (though not
        on a LinkStation). I have a cron job that fires every 5 minutes, fetching a web
        page from my hosted site that discloses my current IP address. I compare that
        to the cached address from the last run, and if different, I fetch the magic
        URL from FreeDNS that updates my address. wget is the tool of choice.
        --
        Roy M. Silvernail is roy@..., and you're not
        "It's just this little chromium switch, here." - TFT
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 8, 2005
          You might want to sign up with the dyndns service and take a look at
          the perl 3rd party clients for updating the IP address.

          http://www.dyndns.com/support/clients/third-party.html

          Actually it may be worth looking at the config for your router/modem
          as many of them already have a client built in for dyndns.org - You'd
          then get a URL like mylinky.dyndns.org or similar.

          Cheers,
          Al

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "f_massey" <fyahoo@a...>