Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: How to setup a regular web page access?

  • James Ronald
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 6, 2005
      Entering "uname -m" at the command prompt will display the processor/machine
      type.
      I have tried the openlink install on my LS (PPC) and it seems to be great.
      It's the base
      linkstation v 1.47 plus many of the tools pre installed. It's important to
      know
      which processor you have on your link station before you proceed.

      check out http://linkstationwiki.org/ for the details and more information.

      > I assume PPC as it's not a linkstation II. May be wrong though. Is
      > there a way to check that besides opening the box and looking on the
      > cpu?
      >
      > OpenLink also contains wget. I hesitate to update to that firmware
      > though. Since I know next to nothing about linux, it seems a risk.
      >
      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Ronald"
      > <jronald@c...> wrote:
      >> Looks like your correct. It seems that wget is part of the
      > openlink,
      >> freelink and Debian projects but not included in the tools. I'm
      > running
      >> Debian and helping to test freelink. Perhaps someone will chime in
      > with a
      >> source for you or update the tools. Do you have a PPC or MIPSEL
      > based
      >> Linkstation?

    • f_massey
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 6, 2005
        It's PPC. I downloaded the openLink 052b. When I gather enough
        courage I'm gonna do it. Thanks for all the info James!

        <jronald@c...> wrote:
        > Entering "uname -m" at the command prompt will display the
        processor/machine
        > type.
        > I have tried the openlink install on my LS (PPC) and it seems to be
        great.
        > It's the base
        > linkstation v 1.47 plus many of the tools pre installed. It's
        important to
        > know
        > which processor you have on your link station before you proceed.
        >
        > check out http://linkstationwiki.org/ for the details and more
        information.

        > > I assume PPC as it's not a linkstation II. May be wrong though. Is
        > > there a way to check that besides opening the box and looking on
        the
        > > cpu?
        > >
        > > OpenLink also contains wget. I hesitate to update to that firmware
        > > though. Since I know next to nothing about linux, it seems a risk.
        > >
        > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Ronald"
        > > <jronald@c...> wrote:
        > >> Looks like your correct. It seems that wget is part of the
        > > openlink,
        > >> freelink and Debian projects but not included in the tools. I'm
        > > running
        > >> Debian and helping to test freelink. Perhaps someone will chime
        in
        > > with a
        > >> source for you or update the tools. Do you have a PPC or MIPSEL
        > > based
        > >> Linkstation?

      • Roy M. Silvernail
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 6, 2005
          Quoting johnnypirish <irishjohnnyp-boards@...>:

          > Read up on wget. I think that maybe what you are looking for. It
          > will regularly download webpages/images.

          FWIW, this is exactly what I do to keep my dynamic domain up to date (though not
          on a LinkStation). I have a cron job that fires every 5 minutes, fetching a web
          page from my hosted site that discloses my current IP address. I compare that
          to the cached address from the last run, and if different, I fetch the magic
          URL from FreeDNS that updates my address. wget is the tool of choice.
          --
          Roy M. Silvernail is roy@..., and you're not
          "It's just this little chromium switch, here." - TFT
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 8, 2005
            You might want to sign up with the dyndns service and take a look at
            the perl 3rd party clients for updating the IP address.

            http://www.dyndns.com/support/clients/third-party.html

            Actually it may be worth looking at the config for your router/modem
            as many of them already have a client built in for dyndns.org - You'd
            then get a URL like mylinky.dyndns.org or similar.

            Cheers,
            Al

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "f_massey" <fyahoo@a...>