Re: How to setup a regular web page access?

  • f_massey
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 6, 2005
      I assume PPC as it's not a linkstation II. May be wrong though. Is
      there a way to check that besides opening the box and looking on the
      cpu?

      OpenLink also contains wget. I hesitate to update to that firmware
      though. Since I know next to nothing about linux, it seems a risk.

      <jronald@c...> wrote:
      > Looks like your correct. It seems that wget is part of the
      openlink,
      > freelink and Debian projects but not included in the tools. I'm
      running
      > Debian and helping to test freelink. Perhaps someone will chime in
      with a
      > source for you or update the tools. Do you have a PPC or MIPSEL
      based
      > Linkstation?

      But
      > > it

      > > <fyahoo@a...>

      Linux
      > > is

      > > which

      > > <ENTER>

      > > would

      > > and
      > > LS.

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • James Ronald
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 6, 2005
        Entering "uname -m" at the command prompt will display the processor/machine
        type.
        I have tried the openlink install on my LS (PPC) and it seems to be great.
        It's the base
        linkstation v 1.47 plus many of the tools pre installed. It's important to
        know
        which processor you have on your link station before you proceed.

        check out http://linkstationwiki.org/ for the details and more information.

        > I assume PPC as it's not a linkstation II. May be wrong though. Is
        > there a way to check that besides opening the box and looking on the
        > cpu?
        >
        > OpenLink also contains wget. I hesitate to update to that firmware
        > though. Since I know next to nothing about linux, it seems a risk.
        >
        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Ronald"
        > <jronald@c...> wrote:
        >> Looks like your correct. It seems that wget is part of the
        > openlink,
        >> freelink and Debian projects but not included in the tools. I'm
        > running
        >> Debian and helping to test freelink. Perhaps someone will chime in
        > with a
        >> source for you or update the tools. Do you have a PPC or MIPSEL
        > based
        >> Linkstation?

      • f_massey
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 6, 2005
          It's PPC. I downloaded the openLink 052b. When I gather enough
          courage I'm gonna do it. Thanks for all the info James!

          <jronald@c...> wrote:
          > Entering "uname -m" at the command prompt will display the
          processor/machine
          > type.
          > I have tried the openlink install on my LS (PPC) and it seems to be
          great.
          > It's the base
          > linkstation v 1.47 plus many of the tools pre installed. It's
          important to
          > know
          > which processor you have on your link station before you proceed.
          >
          > check out http://linkstationwiki.org/ for the details and more
          information.

          > > I assume PPC as it's not a linkstation II. May be wrong though. Is
          > > there a way to check that besides opening the box and looking on
          the
          > > cpu?
          > >
          > > OpenLink also contains wget. I hesitate to update to that firmware
          > > though. Since I know next to nothing about linux, it seems a risk.
          > >
          > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Ronald"
          > > <jronald@c...> wrote:
          > >> Looks like your correct. It seems that wget is part of the
          > > openlink,
          > >> freelink and Debian projects but not included in the tools. I'm
          > > running
          > >> Debian and helping to test freelink. Perhaps someone will chime
          in
          > > with a
          > >> source for you or update the tools. Do you have a PPC or MIPSEL
          > > based
          > >> Linkstation?

        • Roy M. Silvernail
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 6, 2005
            Quoting johnnypirish <irishjohnnyp-boards@...>:

            > Read up on wget. I think that maybe what you are looking for. It
            > will regularly download webpages/images.

            FWIW, this is exactly what I do to keep my dynamic domain up to date (though not
            on a LinkStation). I have a cron job that fires every 5 minutes, fetching a web
            page from my hosted site that discloses my current IP address. I compare that
            to the cached address from the last run, and if different, I fetch the magic
            URL from FreeDNS that updates my address. wget is the tool of choice.
            --
            Roy M. Silvernail is roy@..., and you're not
            "It's just this little chromium switch, here." - TFT
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 8, 2005
              You might want to sign up with the dyndns service and take a look at
              the perl 3rd party clients for updating the IP address.

              http://www.dyndns.com/support/clients/third-party.html

              Actually it may be worth looking at the config for your router/modem
              as many of them already have a client built in for dyndns.org - You'd
              then get a URL like mylinky.dyndns.org or similar.

              Cheers,
              Al