Re: How to setup a regular web page access?

  • johnnypirish
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 6, 2005
      Read up on wget. I think that maybe what you are looking for. It
      will regularly download webpages/images.

      JP

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "f_massey" <fyahoo@a...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Bertram . That's exactly it.
      >
      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Bertram Dörfler
      > <ernie73@g...> wrote:
      > > Do you want the LS to access a certain webpage every 5 minutes?
      > >

      > > _____

    • f_massey
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 6, 2005
        I assume PPC as it's not a linkstation II. May be wrong though. Is
        there a way to check that besides opening the box and looking on the
        cpu?

        OpenLink also contains wget. I hesitate to update to that firmware
        though. Since I know next to nothing about linux, it seems a risk.

        <jronald@c...> wrote:
        > Looks like your correct. It seems that wget is part of the
        openlink,
        > freelink and Debian projects but not included in the tools. I'm
        running
        > Debian and helping to test freelink. Perhaps someone will chime in
        with a
        > source for you or update the tools. Do you have a PPC or MIPSEL
        based
        > Linkstation?

        But
        > > it

        > > <fyahoo@a...>

        Linux
        > > is

        > > which

        > > <ENTER>

        > > would

        > > and
        > > LS.

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • James Ronald
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 6, 2005
          Entering "uname -m" at the command prompt will display the processor/machine
          type.
          I have tried the openlink install on my LS (PPC) and it seems to be great.
          It's the base
          linkstation v 1.47 plus many of the tools pre installed. It's important to
          know
          which processor you have on your link station before you proceed.

          check out http://linkstationwiki.org/ for the details and more information.

          > I assume PPC as it's not a linkstation II. May be wrong though. Is
          > there a way to check that besides opening the box and looking on the
          > cpu?
          >
          > OpenLink also contains wget. I hesitate to update to that firmware
          > though. Since I know next to nothing about linux, it seems a risk.
          >
          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Ronald"
          > <jronald@c...> wrote:
          >> Looks like your correct. It seems that wget is part of the
          > openlink,
          >> freelink and Debian projects but not included in the tools. I'm
          > running
          >> Debian and helping to test freelink. Perhaps someone will chime in
          > with a
          >> source for you or update the tools. Do you have a PPC or MIPSEL
          > based
          >> Linkstation?

        • f_massey
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 6, 2005
            It's PPC. I downloaded the openLink 052b. When I gather enough
            courage I'm gonna do it. Thanks for all the info James!

            <jronald@c...> wrote:
            > Entering "uname -m" at the command prompt will display the
            processor/machine
            > type.
            > I have tried the openlink install on my LS (PPC) and it seems to be
            great.
            > It's the base
            > linkstation v 1.47 plus many of the tools pre installed. It's
            important to
            > know
            > which processor you have on your link station before you proceed.
            >
            > check out http://linkstationwiki.org/ for the details and more
            information.

            > > I assume PPC as it's not a linkstation II. May be wrong though. Is
            > > there a way to check that besides opening the box and looking on
            the
            > > cpu?
            > >
            > > OpenLink also contains wget. I hesitate to update to that firmware
            > > though. Since I know next to nothing about linux, it seems a risk.
            > >
            > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Ronald"
            > > <jronald@c...> wrote:
            > >> Looks like your correct. It seems that wget is part of the
            > > openlink,
            > >> freelink and Debian projects but not included in the tools. I'm
            > > running
            > >> Debian and helping to test freelink. Perhaps someone will chime
            in
            > > with a
            > >> source for you or update the tools. Do you have a PPC or MIPSEL
            > > based
            > >> Linkstation?

          • Roy M. Silvernail
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 6, 2005
              Quoting johnnypirish <irishjohnnyp-boards@...>:

              > Read up on wget. I think that maybe what you are looking for. It
              > will regularly download webpages/images.

              FWIW, this is exactly what I do to keep my dynamic domain up to date (though not
              on a LinkStation). I have a cron job that fires every 5 minutes, fetching a web
              page from my hosted site that discloses my current IP address. I compare that
              to the cached address from the last run, and if different, I fetch the magic
              URL from FreeDNS that updates my address. wget is the tool of choice.
              --
              Roy M. Silvernail is roy@..., and you're not
              "It's just this little chromium switch, here." - TFT
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 8, 2005
                You might want to sign up with the dyndns service and take a look at
                the perl 3rd party clients for updating the IP address.

                http://www.dyndns.com/support/clients/third-party.html

                Actually it may be worth looking at the config for your router/modem
                as many of them already have a client built in for dyndns.org - You'd
                then get a URL like mylinky.dyndns.org or similar.

                Cheers,
                Al