Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: How to setup a regular web page access?

  • James Ronald
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 6, 2005
      Looks like your correct. It seems that wget is part of the openlink,
      freelink and Debian projects but not included in the tools. I'm running
      Debian and helping to test freelink. Perhaps someone will chime in with a
      source for you or update the tools. Do you have a PPC or MIPSEL based
      Linkstation?

      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 6, 2005
        Read up on wget. I think that maybe what you are looking for. It
        will regularly download webpages/images.

        JP

        wrote:

        > Hi Bertram . That's exactly it.
        >
        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Bertram Dörfler
        > <ernie73@g...> wrote:
        > > Do you want the LS to access a certain webpage every 5 minutes?
        > >

        > > _____

      • f_massey
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 6, 2005
          I assume PPC as it's not a linkstation II. May be wrong though. Is
          there a way to check that besides opening the box and looking on the
          cpu?

          OpenLink also contains wget. I hesitate to update to that firmware
          though. Since I know next to nothing about linux, it seems a risk.

        • James Ronald
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 6, 2005
            Entering "uname -m" at the command prompt will display the processor/machine
            type.
            I have tried the openlink install on my LS (PPC) and it seems to be great.
            It's the base
            linkstation v 1.47 plus many of the tools pre installed. It's important to
            know
            which processor you have on your link station before you proceed.

            check out http://linkstationwiki.org/ for the details and more information.

            > I assume PPC as it's not a linkstation II. May be wrong though. Is
            > there a way to check that besides opening the box and looking on the
            > cpu?
            >
            > OpenLink also contains wget. I hesitate to update to that firmware
            > though. Since I know next to nothing about linux, it seems a risk.
            >
            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Ronald"
            > <jronald@c...> wrote:
            >> Looks like your correct. It seems that wget is part of the
            > openlink,
            >> freelink and Debian projects but not included in the tools. I'm
            > running
            >> Debian and helping to test freelink. Perhaps someone will chime in
            > with a
            >> source for you or update the tools. Do you have a PPC or MIPSEL
            > based
            >> Linkstation?

          • f_massey
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 6, 2005
              It's PPC. I downloaded the openLink 052b. When I gather enough
              courage I'm gonna do it. Thanks for all the info James!

              <jronald@c...> wrote:
              > Entering "uname -m" at the command prompt will display the
              processor/machine
              > type.
              > I have tried the openlink install on my LS (PPC) and it seems to be
              great.
              > It's the base
              > linkstation v 1.47 plus many of the tools pre installed. It's
              important to
              > know
              > which processor you have on your link station before you proceed.
              >
              > check out http://linkstationwiki.org/ for the details and more
              information.

              > > I assume PPC as it's not a linkstation II. May be wrong though. Is
              > > there a way to check that besides opening the box and looking on
              the
              > > cpu?
              > >
              > > OpenLink also contains wget. I hesitate to update to that firmware
              > > though. Since I know next to nothing about linux, it seems a risk.
              > >
              > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Ronald"
              > > <jronald@c...> wrote:
              > >> Looks like your correct. It seems that wget is part of the
              > > openlink,
              > >> freelink and Debian projects but not included in the tools. I'm
              > > running
              > >> Debian and helping to test freelink. Perhaps someone will chime
              in
              > > with a
              > >> source for you or update the tools. Do you have a PPC or MIPSEL
              > > based
              > >> Linkstation?

            • Roy M. Silvernail
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 6, 2005
                Quoting johnnypirish <irishjohnnyp-boards@...>:

                > Read up on wget. I think that maybe what you are looking for. It
                > will regularly download webpages/images.

                FWIW, this is exactly what I do to keep my dynamic domain up to date (though not
                on a LinkStation). I have a cron job that fires every 5 minutes, fetching a web
                page from my hosted site that discloses my current IP address. I compare that
                to the cached address from the last run, and if different, I fetch the magic
                URL from FreeDNS that updates my address. wget is the tool of choice.
                --
                Roy M. Silvernail is roy@..., and you're not
                "It's just this little chromium switch, here." - TFT
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 8, 2005
                  You might want to sign up with the dyndns service and take a look at
                  the perl 3rd party clients for updating the IP address.

                  http://www.dyndns.com/support/clients/third-party.html

                  Actually it may be worth looking at the config for your router/modem
                  as many of them already have a client built in for dyndns.org - You'd
                  then get a URL like mylinky.dyndns.org or similar.

                  Cheers,
                  Al