Re: How to setup a regular web page access?

  • f_massey
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 6, 2005
      Thanks for the link James. I downloaded it and it seems that that
      release does not contain wget. I think I need v2... Any idea?

      http://linkstationwiki.org/downloads/
      > I think wegt was a typo and wget was intended.
      >
      > JR

      LS.

      > >> Have fun and welcome,
      > >> Al
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • James Ronald
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 6, 2005
        Looks like your correct. It seems that wget is part of the openlink,
        freelink and Debian projects but not included in the tools. I'm running
        Debian and helping to test freelink. Perhaps someone will chime in with a
        source for you or update the tools. Do you have a PPC or MIPSEL based
        Linkstation?

        > Thanks for the link James. I downloaded it and it seems that that
        > release does not contain wget. I think I need v2... Any idea?
        >
        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Ronald"
        > <jronald@c...> wrote:
        >> The files are now being hosted at
        > http://linkstationwiki.org/downloads/
        >> I think wegt was a typo and wget was intended.
        >>
        >> JR

      • johnnypirish
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 6, 2005
          Read up on wget. I think that maybe what you are looking for. It
          will regularly download webpages/images.

          JP

          wrote:

          > Hi Bertram . That's exactly it.
          >
          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Bertram Dörfler
          > <ernie73@g...> wrote:
          > > Do you want the LS to access a certain webpage every 5 minutes?
          > >

          > > _____

        • f_massey
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 6, 2005
            I assume PPC as it's not a linkstation II. May be wrong though. Is
            there a way to check that besides opening the box and looking on the
            cpu?

            OpenLink also contains wget. I hesitate to update to that firmware
            though. Since I know next to nothing about linux, it seems a risk.

          • James Ronald
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 6, 2005
              Entering "uname -m" at the command prompt will display the processor/machine
              type.
              I have tried the openlink install on my LS (PPC) and it seems to be great.
              It's the base
              linkstation v 1.47 plus many of the tools pre installed. It's important to
              know
              which processor you have on your link station before you proceed.

              check out http://linkstationwiki.org/ for the details and more information.

              > I assume PPC as it's not a linkstation II. May be wrong though. Is
              > there a way to check that besides opening the box and looking on the
              > cpu?
              >
              > OpenLink also contains wget. I hesitate to update to that firmware
              > though. Since I know next to nothing about linux, it seems a risk.
              >
              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Ronald"
              > <jronald@c...> wrote:
              >> Looks like your correct. It seems that wget is part of the
              > openlink,
              >> freelink and Debian projects but not included in the tools. I'm
              > running
              >> Debian and helping to test freelink. Perhaps someone will chime in
              > with a
              >> source for you or update the tools. Do you have a PPC or MIPSEL
              > based
              >> Linkstation?

            • f_massey
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 6, 2005
                It's PPC. I downloaded the openLink 052b. When I gather enough
                courage I'm gonna do it. Thanks for all the info James!

                <jronald@c...> wrote:
                > Entering "uname -m" at the command prompt will display the
                processor/machine
                > type.
                > I have tried the openlink install on my LS (PPC) and it seems to be
                great.
                > It's the base
                > linkstation v 1.47 plus many of the tools pre installed. It's
                important to
                > know
                > which processor you have on your link station before you proceed.
                >
                > check out http://linkstationwiki.org/ for the details and more
                information.

                > > I assume PPC as it's not a linkstation II. May be wrong though. Is
                > > there a way to check that besides opening the box and looking on
                the
                > > cpu?
                > >
                > > OpenLink also contains wget. I hesitate to update to that firmware
                > > though. Since I know next to nothing about linux, it seems a risk.
                > >
                > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Ronald"
                > > <jronald@c...> wrote:
                > >> Looks like your correct. It seems that wget is part of the
                > > openlink,
                > >> freelink and Debian projects but not included in the tools. I'm
                > > running
                > >> Debian and helping to test freelink. Perhaps someone will chime
                in
                > > with a
                > >> source for you or update the tools. Do you have a PPC or MIPSEL
                > > based
                > >> Linkstation?

              • Roy M. Silvernail
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 6, 2005
                  Quoting johnnypirish <irishjohnnyp-boards@...>:

                  > Read up on wget. I think that maybe what you are looking for. It
                  > will regularly download webpages/images.

                  FWIW, this is exactly what I do to keep my dynamic domain up to date (though not
                  on a LinkStation). I have a cron job that fires every 5 minutes, fetching a web
                  page from my hosted site that discloses my current IP address. I compare that
                  to the cached address from the last run, and if different, I fetch the magic
                  URL from FreeDNS that updates my address. wget is the tool of choice.
                  --
                  Roy M. Silvernail is roy@..., and you're not
                  "It's just this little chromium switch, here." - TFT
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 8, 2005
                    You might want to sign up with the dyndns service and take a look at
                    the perl 3rd party clients for updating the IP address.

                    http://www.dyndns.com/support/clients/third-party.html

                    Actually it may be worth looking at the config for your router/modem
                    as many of them already have a client built in for dyndns.org - You'd
                    then get a URL like mylinky.dyndns.org or similar.

                    Cheers,
                    Al