Re: How to setup a regular web page access?

  • f_massey
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 6, 2005
      Hi prb0x. Thanks for the answer. Yes I managed to get root access. I
      fought bravely with vi. Thank god there are quite a few good
      resources on the net!

      Now, PPC-tools? Searching the forum I found this link:
      http://frontalot.is-a-geek.net:81/index.cgi/ProjectPpcTools. But
      can't access it :-(. Is that site down? Any other place I can get it
      from? Or just get wegt?

      Thanks again!

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "prb0x" <al@t...> wrote:
      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "f_massey" <fyahoo@a...>
      > wrote:
      > > Hi everyone,
      > >
      > > I'm new to this forum and I'm also very newbie as far as Linux is
      > > concerned. I had a question about creating a cron job to setup a
      > > regular web page access, say every 5 minutes. Is there a way to
      > > accomplish this with LS? Thanks!
      >
      > Hi,
      >
      > Have you already got root access to the box? If so you want to
      > download and install PPC-tools or MIPSEL-tools - depending on which
      LS
      > you have.
      >
      > Then write a simply script say in /root:
      > # vi webhit.sh
      >
      > Press <I> for insert mode
      > add the following lines
      > #!/bin/bash
      > wegt http://www.thesite.com/thepage.html --spider --quiet
      >
      > The write and close the file by pressing <ESC> <:> <w> <q> <ENTER>
      >
      > You should be back on the command line - now you have to make the
      > script executable:
      >
      > # chmod +x webhit.sh
      >
      > now you need to add your entry to the crontab:
      >
      > # vi /etc/crontab
      >
      > go to the end of the file and press <I> (insert mode)
      > on a new line type:
      > */5 * * * * root /root/webhit.sh
      >
      > press <ESC> <:> <w> <q> <ENTER>
      >
      > There is no need to reboot or restart the cron daemon.
      >
      > If you mess up in vi - all too easy for the beginner (BTW nano would
      > be cool to have in the toolset) then just press <ESC> <:> <q> <!>
      > <ENTER>
      > This will quit you out without making any changes - then you can
      start
      > again :-)
      >
      > If you get stuck with vi a quick into is at:
      > http://www.tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/sect_06_02.html
      >
      > Do have a good browse round TLDP - it's got a lot of info there and
      > some of the HOWTOs can give you some neat ideas to do with your LS.
      >
      > Have fun and welcome,
      > Al
    • James Ronald
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 6, 2005
        The files are now being hosted at http://linkstationwiki.org/downloads/
        I think wegt was a typo and wget was intended.

        JR

        > Hi prb0x. Thanks for the answer. Yes I managed to get root access. I
        > fought bravely with vi. Thank god there are quite a few good
        > resources on the net!
        >
        > Now, PPC-tools? Searching the forum I found this link:
        > http://frontalot.is-a-geek.net:81/index.cgi/ProjectPpcTools. But
        > can't access it :-(. Is that site down? Any other place I can get it
        > from? Or just get wegt?
        >
        > Thanks again!
        >
        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "prb0x" <al@t...> wrote:
        >> --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "f_massey" <fyahoo@a...>
        >> wrote:
        >> > Hi everyone,
        >> >
        >> > I'm new to this forum and I'm also very newbie as far as Linux is
        >> > concerned. I had a question about creating a cron job to setup a
        >> > regular web page access, say every 5 minutes. Is there a way to
        >> > accomplish this with LS? Thanks!
        >>
        >> Hi,
        >>
        >> Have you already got root access to the box? If so you want to
        >> download and install PPC-tools or MIPSEL-tools - depending on which
        > LS
        >> you have.
        >>
        >> Then write a simply script say in /root:
        >> # vi webhit.sh
        >>
        >> Press <I> for insert mode
        >> add the following lines
        >> #!/bin/bash
        >> wegt http://www.thesite.com/thepage.html --spider --quiet
        >>
        >> The write and close the file by pressing <ESC> <:> <w> <q> <ENTER>
        >>
        >> You should be back on the command line - now you have to make the
        >> script executable:
        >>
        >> # chmod +x webhit.sh
        >>
        >> now you need to add your entry to the crontab:
        >>
        >> # vi /etc/crontab
        >>
        >> go to the end of the file and press <I> (insert mode)
        >> on a new line type:
        >> */5 * * * * root /root/webhit.sh
        >>
        >> press <ESC> <:> <w> <q> <ENTER>
        >>
        >> There is no need to reboot or restart the cron daemon.
        >>
        >> If you mess up in vi - all too easy for the beginner (BTW nano would
        >> be cool to have in the toolset) then just press <ESC> <:> <q> <!>
        >> <ENTER>
        >> This will quit you out without making any changes - then you can
        > start
        >> again :-)
        >>
        >> If you get stuck with vi a quick into is at:
        >> http://www.tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/sect_06_02.html
        >>
        >> Do have a good browse round TLDP - it's got a lot of info there and
        >> some of the HOWTOs can give you some neat ideas to do with your LS.
        >>
        >> Have fun and welcome,
        >> Al
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • f_massey
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 6, 2005
          Thanks for the link James. I downloaded it and it seems that that
          release does not contain wget. I think I need v2... Any idea?

        • James Ronald
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 6, 2005
            Looks like your correct. It seems that wget is part of the openlink,
            freelink and Debian projects but not included in the tools. I'm running
            Debian and helping to test freelink. Perhaps someone will chime in with a
            source for you or update the tools. Do you have a PPC or MIPSEL based
            Linkstation?

            > Thanks for the link James. I downloaded it and it seems that that
            > release does not contain wget. I think I need v2... Any idea?
            >
            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Ronald"
            > <jronald@c...> wrote:
            >> The files are now being hosted at
            > http://linkstationwiki.org/downloads/
            >> I think wegt was a typo and wget was intended.
            >>
            >> JR

          • johnnypirish
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 6, 2005
              Read up on wget. I think that maybe what you are looking for. It
              will regularly download webpages/images.

              JP

              wrote:

              > Hi Bertram . That's exactly it.
              >
              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Bertram Dörfler
              > <ernie73@g...> wrote:
              > > Do you want the LS to access a certain webpage every 5 minutes?
              > >

              > > _____

            • f_massey
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 6, 2005
                I assume PPC as it's not a linkstation II. May be wrong though. Is
                there a way to check that besides opening the box and looking on the
                cpu?

                OpenLink also contains wget. I hesitate to update to that firmware
                though. Since I know next to nothing about linux, it seems a risk.

              • James Ronald
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 6, 2005
                  Entering "uname -m" at the command prompt will display the processor/machine
                  type.
                  I have tried the openlink install on my LS (PPC) and it seems to be great.
                  It's the base
                  linkstation v 1.47 plus many of the tools pre installed. It's important to
                  know
                  which processor you have on your link station before you proceed.

                  check out http://linkstationwiki.org/ for the details and more information.

                  > I assume PPC as it's not a linkstation II. May be wrong though. Is
                  > there a way to check that besides opening the box and looking on the
                  > cpu?
                  >
                  > OpenLink also contains wget. I hesitate to update to that firmware
                  > though. Since I know next to nothing about linux, it seems a risk.
                  >
                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Ronald"
                  > <jronald@c...> wrote:
                  >> Looks like your correct. It seems that wget is part of the
                  > openlink,
                  >> freelink and Debian projects but not included in the tools. I'm
                  > running
                  >> Debian and helping to test freelink. Perhaps someone will chime in
                  > with a
                  >> source for you or update the tools. Do you have a PPC or MIPSEL
                  > based
                  >> Linkstation?

                • f_massey
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 6, 2005
                    It's PPC. I downloaded the openLink 052b. When I gather enough
                    courage I'm gonna do it. Thanks for all the info James!

                    <jronald@c...> wrote:
                    > Entering "uname -m" at the command prompt will display the
                    processor/machine
                    > type.
                    > I have tried the openlink install on my LS (PPC) and it seems to be
                    great.
                    > It's the base
                    > linkstation v 1.47 plus many of the tools pre installed. It's
                    important to
                    > know
                    > which processor you have on your link station before you proceed.
                    >
                    > check out http://linkstationwiki.org/ for the details and more
                    information.

                    > > I assume PPC as it's not a linkstation II. May be wrong though. Is
                    > > there a way to check that besides opening the box and looking on
                    the
                    > > cpu?
                    > >
                    > > OpenLink also contains wget. I hesitate to update to that firmware
                    > > though. Since I know next to nothing about linux, it seems a risk.
                    > >
                    > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Ronald"
                    > > <jronald@c...> wrote:
                    > >> Looks like your correct. It seems that wget is part of the
                    > > openlink,
                    > >> freelink and Debian projects but not included in the tools. I'm
                    > > running
                    > >> Debian and helping to test freelink. Perhaps someone will chime
                    in
                    > > with a
                    > >> source for you or update the tools. Do you have a PPC or MIPSEL
                    > > based
                    > >> Linkstation?

                  • Roy M. Silvernail
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 6, 2005
                      Quoting johnnypirish <irishjohnnyp-boards@...>:

                      > Read up on wget. I think that maybe what you are looking for. It
                      > will regularly download webpages/images.

                      FWIW, this is exactly what I do to keep my dynamic domain up to date (though not
                      on a LinkStation). I have a cron job that fires every 5 minutes, fetching a web
                      page from my hosted site that discloses my current IP address. I compare that
                      to the cached address from the last run, and if different, I fetch the magic
                      URL from FreeDNS that updates my address. wget is the tool of choice.
                      --
                      Roy M. Silvernail is roy@..., and you're not
                      "It's just this little chromium switch, here." - TFT
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 8, 2005
                        You might want to sign up with the dyndns service and take a look at
                        the perl 3rd party clients for updating the IP address.

                        http://www.dyndns.com/support/clients/third-party.html

                        Actually it may be worth looking at the config for your router/modem
                        as many of them already have a client built in for dyndns.org - You'd
                        then get a URL like mylinky.dyndns.org or similar.

                        Cheers,
                        Al