Re: How to setup a regular web page access?

  • f_massey
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 6, 2005
      Hi there Nick . Since my work computer is sitting behind a connection
      with dynamic IP, an automatic and regular access to a web page will
      allow me to discover my the current IP address. When out of office, I
      can visit my web site which allows me to connect to various IP device
      in my home office. Right now this is accomplished with my PC which
      stays on all the time. I want to switch to something smaller (and
      more energy efficient). The LS would fit the bill perfectly.

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Nick Pappas
      <nwpappas@g...> wrote:
      > I'm confused. Why do you need a cron job to set up regular web page
      > access? Once you set something up, it normally stays.
      >
      > What are you trying to do?
      >
      > On 8/5/05, f_massey <fyahoo@a...> wrote:
      > > Hi everyone,
      > >
      > > I'm new to this forum and I'm also very newbie as far as Linux is
      > > concerned. I had a question about creating a cron job to setup a
      > > regular web page access, say every 5 minutes. Is there a way to
      > > accomplish this with LS? Thanks!
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links
      > >

      > --
      > Whatever you do - don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate
      > yourself either.
      > Your choices are half chance, and so are everybody else's.
    • f_massey
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 6, 2005
        Hi Bertram . That's exactly it.

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Bertram Dörfler
        <ernie73@g...> wrote:
        > Do you want the LS to access a certain webpage every 5 minutes?
        >

        > _____

        Pappas
        > Gesendet: Freitag, 5. August 2005 22:48
        > An: LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com
        > Betreff: Re: [LinkStation_General] How to setup a regular web page
        access?

        > I'm confused. Why do you need a cron job to set up regular web page
        > access? Once you set something up, it normally stays.
        >
        > What are you trying to do?
        >
        > On 8/5/05, f_massey <fyahoo@a...> wrote:
        > > Hi everyone,
        > >
        > > I'm new to this forum and I'm also very newbie as far as Linux is
        > > concerned. I had a question about creating a cron job to setup a
        > > regular web page access, say every 5 minutes. Is there a way to
        > > accomplish this with LS? Thanks!
        > >

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links
        > >

        > --
        > Whatever you do - don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate
        > yourself either.
        > Your choices are half chance, and so are everybody else's.
        >

        > _____

        > * Visit your group "LinkStation_General
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LinkStation_General> " on the web.

        subject=Unsubscribe>

        Service
        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
        >

        > _____
      • f_massey
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 6, 2005
          Hi prb0x. Thanks for the answer. Yes I managed to get root access. I
          fought bravely with vi. Thank god there are quite a few good
          resources on the net!

          Now, PPC-tools? Searching the forum I found this link:
          http://frontalot.is-a-geek.net:81/index.cgi/ProjectPpcTools. But
          can't access it :-(. Is that site down? Any other place I can get it
          from? Or just get wegt?

          Thanks again!

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "prb0x" <al@t...> wrote:
          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "f_massey" <fyahoo@a...>
          > wrote:
          > > Hi everyone,
          > >
          > > I'm new to this forum and I'm also very newbie as far as Linux is
          > > concerned. I had a question about creating a cron job to setup a
          > > regular web page access, say every 5 minutes. Is there a way to
          > > accomplish this with LS? Thanks!
          >
          > Hi,
          >
          > Have you already got root access to the box? If so you want to
          > download and install PPC-tools or MIPSEL-tools - depending on which
          LS
          > you have.
          >
          > Then write a simply script say in /root:
          > # vi webhit.sh
          >
          > Press <I> for insert mode
          > add the following lines
          > #!/bin/bash
          > wegt http://www.thesite.com/thepage.html --spider --quiet
          >
          > The write and close the file by pressing <ESC> <:> <w> <q> <ENTER>
          >
          > You should be back on the command line - now you have to make the
          > script executable:
          >
          > # chmod +x webhit.sh
          >
          > now you need to add your entry to the crontab:
          >
          > # vi /etc/crontab
          >
          > go to the end of the file and press <I> (insert mode)
          > on a new line type:
          > */5 * * * * root /root/webhit.sh
          >
          > press <ESC> <:> <w> <q> <ENTER>
          >
          > There is no need to reboot or restart the cron daemon.
          >
          > If you mess up in vi - all too easy for the beginner (BTW nano would
          > be cool to have in the toolset) then just press <ESC> <:> <q> <!>
          > <ENTER>
          > This will quit you out without making any changes - then you can
          start
          > again :-)
          >
          > If you get stuck with vi a quick into is at:
          > http://www.tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/sect_06_02.html
          >
          > Do have a good browse round TLDP - it's got a lot of info there and
          > some of the HOWTOs can give you some neat ideas to do with your LS.
          >
          > Have fun and welcome,
          > Al
        • James Ronald
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 6, 2005
            The files are now being hosted at http://linkstationwiki.org/downloads/
            I think wegt was a typo and wget was intended.

            JR

            > Hi prb0x. Thanks for the answer. Yes I managed to get root access. I
            > fought bravely with vi. Thank god there are quite a few good
            > resources on the net!
            >
            > Now, PPC-tools? Searching the forum I found this link:
            > http://frontalot.is-a-geek.net:81/index.cgi/ProjectPpcTools. But
            > can't access it :-(. Is that site down? Any other place I can get it
            > from? Or just get wegt?
            >
            > Thanks again!
            >
            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "prb0x" <al@t...> wrote:
            >> --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "f_massey" <fyahoo@a...>
            >> wrote:
            >> > Hi everyone,
            >> >
            >> > I'm new to this forum and I'm also very newbie as far as Linux is
            >> > concerned. I had a question about creating a cron job to setup a
            >> > regular web page access, say every 5 minutes. Is there a way to
            >> > accomplish this with LS? Thanks!
            >>
            >> Hi,
            >>
            >> Have you already got root access to the box? If so you want to
            >> download and install PPC-tools or MIPSEL-tools - depending on which
            > LS
            >> you have.
            >>
            >> Then write a simply script say in /root:
            >> # vi webhit.sh
            >>
            >> Press <I> for insert mode
            >> add the following lines
            >> #!/bin/bash
            >> wegt http://www.thesite.com/thepage.html --spider --quiet
            >>
            >> The write and close the file by pressing <ESC> <:> <w> <q> <ENTER>
            >>
            >> You should be back on the command line - now you have to make the
            >> script executable:
            >>
            >> # chmod +x webhit.sh
            >>
            >> now you need to add your entry to the crontab:
            >>
            >> # vi /etc/crontab
            >>
            >> go to the end of the file and press <I> (insert mode)
            >> on a new line type:
            >> */5 * * * * root /root/webhit.sh
            >>
            >> press <ESC> <:> <w> <q> <ENTER>
            >>
            >> There is no need to reboot or restart the cron daemon.
            >>
            >> If you mess up in vi - all too easy for the beginner (BTW nano would
            >> be cool to have in the toolset) then just press <ESC> <:> <q> <!>
            >> <ENTER>
            >> This will quit you out without making any changes - then you can
            > start
            >> again :-)
            >>
            >> If you get stuck with vi a quick into is at:
            >> http://www.tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/sect_06_02.html
            >>
            >> Do have a good browse round TLDP - it's got a lot of info there and
            >> some of the HOWTOs can give you some neat ideas to do with your LS.
            >>
            >> Have fun and welcome,
            >> Al
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • f_massey
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 6, 2005
              Thanks for the link James. I downloaded it and it seems that that
              release does not contain wget. I think I need v2... Any idea?

            • James Ronald
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 6, 2005
                Looks like your correct. It seems that wget is part of the openlink,
                freelink and Debian projects but not included in the tools. I'm running
                Debian and helping to test freelink. Perhaps someone will chime in with a
                source for you or update the tools. Do you have a PPC or MIPSEL based
                Linkstation?

                > Thanks for the link James. I downloaded it and it seems that that
                > release does not contain wget. I think I need v2... Any idea?
                >
                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Ronald"
                > <jronald@c...> wrote:
                >> The files are now being hosted at
                > http://linkstationwiki.org/downloads/
                >> I think wegt was a typo and wget was intended.
                >>
                >> JR

              • johnnypirish
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 6, 2005
                  Read up on wget. I think that maybe what you are looking for. It
                  will regularly download webpages/images.

                  JP

                  wrote:

                  > Hi Bertram . That's exactly it.
                  >
                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Bertram Dörfler
                  > <ernie73@g...> wrote:
                  > > Do you want the LS to access a certain webpage every 5 minutes?
                  > >

                  > > _____

                • f_massey
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 6, 2005
                    I assume PPC as it's not a linkstation II. May be wrong though. Is
                    there a way to check that besides opening the box and looking on the
                    cpu?

                    OpenLink also contains wget. I hesitate to update to that firmware
                    though. Since I know next to nothing about linux, it seems a risk.

                  • James Ronald
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 6, 2005
                      Entering "uname -m" at the command prompt will display the processor/machine
                      type.
                      I have tried the openlink install on my LS (PPC) and it seems to be great.
                      It's the base
                      linkstation v 1.47 plus many of the tools pre installed. It's important to
                      know
                      which processor you have on your link station before you proceed.

                      check out http://linkstationwiki.org/ for the details and more information.

                      > I assume PPC as it's not a linkstation II. May be wrong though. Is
                      > there a way to check that besides opening the box and looking on the
                      > cpu?
                      >
                      > OpenLink also contains wget. I hesitate to update to that firmware
                      > though. Since I know next to nothing about linux, it seems a risk.
                      >
                      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Ronald"
                      > <jronald@c...> wrote:
                      >> Looks like your correct. It seems that wget is part of the
                      > openlink,
                      >> freelink and Debian projects but not included in the tools. I'm
                      > running
                      >> Debian and helping to test freelink. Perhaps someone will chime in
                      > with a
                      >> source for you or update the tools. Do you have a PPC or MIPSEL
                      > based
                      >> Linkstation?

                    • f_massey
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 6, 2005
                        It's PPC. I downloaded the openLink 052b. When I gather enough
                        courage I'm gonna do it. Thanks for all the info James!

                        <jronald@c...> wrote:
                        > Entering "uname -m" at the command prompt will display the
                        processor/machine
                        > type.
                        > I have tried the openlink install on my LS (PPC) and it seems to be
                        great.
                        > It's the base
                        > linkstation v 1.47 plus many of the tools pre installed. It's
                        important to
                        > know
                        > which processor you have on your link station before you proceed.
                        >
                        > check out http://linkstationwiki.org/ for the details and more
                        information.

                        > > I assume PPC as it's not a linkstation II. May be wrong though. Is
                        > > there a way to check that besides opening the box and looking on
                        the
                        > > cpu?
                        > >
                        > > OpenLink also contains wget. I hesitate to update to that firmware
                        > > though. Since I know next to nothing about linux, it seems a risk.
                        > >
                        > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Ronald"
                        > > <jronald@c...> wrote:
                        > >> Looks like your correct. It seems that wget is part of the
                        > > openlink,
                        > >> freelink and Debian projects but not included in the tools. I'm
                        > > running
                        > >> Debian and helping to test freelink. Perhaps someone will chime
                        in
                        > > with a
                        > >> source for you or update the tools. Do you have a PPC or MIPSEL
                        > > based
                        > >> Linkstation?

                      • Roy M. Silvernail
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 6, 2005
                          Quoting johnnypirish <irishjohnnyp-boards@...>:

                          > Read up on wget. I think that maybe what you are looking for. It
                          > will regularly download webpages/images.

                          FWIW, this is exactly what I do to keep my dynamic domain up to date (though not
                          on a LinkStation). I have a cron job that fires every 5 minutes, fetching a web
                          page from my hosted site that discloses my current IP address. I compare that
                          to the cached address from the last run, and if different, I fetch the magic
                          URL from FreeDNS that updates my address. wget is the tool of choice.
                          --
                          Roy M. Silvernail is roy@..., and you're not
                          "It's just this little chromium switch, here." - TFT
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 8, 2005
                            You might want to sign up with the dyndns service and take a look at
                            the perl 3rd party clients for updating the IP address.

                            http://www.dyndns.com/support/clients/third-party.html

                            Actually it may be worth looking at the config for your router/modem
                            as many of them already have a client built in for dyndns.org - You'd
                            then get a URL like mylinky.dyndns.org or similar.

                            Cheers,
                            Al