Re: Terrastation software similar to LinkStation?

  • itimpi50
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 5, 2005
      I now have modified firmware that gives the TeraStation both telnet
      and root access :)

      For more details look at
      http://homepage.ntlworld.com/itimpi/buffalo.htm

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "itimpi50"
      <itimpi50@y...> wrote:
      > I am making progress. I now have a version of the Terastation
      > firmware that supports Telnet and I can login as the guest user.
      All
      > that is now outstanding is to work out how to get root access (or
      > allow the guest to edit the /etc/passwd file). I will probably do
      > this by hacking one of the standard scripts supplied for
      > administering the TeraStation to add a new option!
      >
      > Dave
      >
      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Air Dave
      > <lordboots@y...> wrote:
      > > Well, I have to tell you that I'm in your corner,
      > > rooting for you to accomplish it. I've talked to some
      > > of the regional directors for Buffalo about just
      > > supporting it, as the ReadyNAS from infrant supports
      > > it now. I've also put in feature requests through
      > > Buffalo support, but we all know how support
      > > departments work...
      > >
      > > If you can hack it and put it together, I would be
      > > stoked to do the same to my terrastation. Also, the
      > > ReadyNAS is now supporting USB Wi-Fi dongles, and if
      > > you're in there messing with the image.... :~) It
      > > would be pretty cool to let the squeezebox do a direct
      > > wireless to the terrastation for when I've got it at
      > > other locations.....
      > >
      > > Dave
      > >
      > > --- itimpi50 <itimpi50@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > > I think they are largely simlar as they are both
      > > > based on the PowerPC
      > > > processor. There will be a number of differences
      > > > though as the
      > > > TeraStation has 4 drives rather than 1 and as a
      > > > result ahs software
      > > > raidsupport built in.
      > > >
      > > > I am currently in the process of trying to rebuild
      > > > the firmware to give
      > > > myself root access without having to do any hardware
      > > > hacking. I have
      > > > unpacked the disk image and the basic binary set
      > > > looks the same
      > > > although there are a number of differences at the
      > > > detailed level. I
      > > > have then made small changes, and repacked the
      > > > firmware and
      > > > successfully reflashed. It is a bit of a
      > > > time-consuming process as if
      > > > you make a mistake and mess up the firmware refresh
      > > > then when you bring
      > > > the Terastation back up it goes through its full
      > > > disk check before you
      > > > can do anything and that takes over 5 hours. You
      > > > cannot therefore
      > > > turn around attempts very fast!
      > > >
      > > > I will be posting messages when (if?) I finally get
      > > > somewhere.
      > > >

      > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com,
      > > > same as the
      > > > can apparently install
      > > > LinkStation:

      > > > terrastation so that I don't

      > > > questions?

      > > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
    • Air Dave
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 5, 2005
        Excellent. I will check it out today and work on
        installing SlimServer onto the Terrastation in the
        next couple of days. I wonder how much ram the thing
        has and if it's going to choke on 58,000 Files being
        indexed by the server....

        Dave

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Air Dave
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 8, 2005
          I tried to D/L the file, and it had a problem with the
          header of it..... It appeared corrupt, and I never
          have problems with tar-gzip files... Any ideas?

          Dave

          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
        • itimpi50
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 9, 2005
            Not sure. I did change the download file at one point last night so
            that could have been the problem. I think this evening I will
            change it to be a ZIP file which is more appropriate to Windows users
            (which you need to be to run the Firmware updater).

            wrote:
            > I tried to D/L the file, and it had a problem with the
            > header of it..... It appeared corrupt, and I never
            > have problems with tar-gzip files... Any ideas?
            >
            > Dave
            >
            > --- itimpi50 <itimpi50@y...> wrote:
            >
            > > I now have modified firmware that gives the
            > > TeraStation both telnet
            > > and root access :)
            > >
            > > For more details look at
            > > http://homepage.ntlworld.com/itimpi/buffalo.htm
            > >
            > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com,
            > > "itimpi50"
            > > <itimpi50@y...> wrote:
            > > > I am making progress. I now have a version of the
            > > Terastation
            > > > firmware that supports Telnet and I can login as
            > > the guest user.
            > > All
            > > > that is now outstanding is to work out how to get
            > > root access (or
            > > > allow the guest to edit the /etc/passwd file). I
            > > will probably do
            > > > this by hacking one of the standard scripts
            > > supplied for
            > > > administering the TeraStation to add a new option!
            > > >
            > > > Dave
            > > >
            > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Air
            > > Dave
            > > corner,
            > > to some
            > > supports
            > > through

            > > be
            > > Also, the
            > > and if
            > > It
            > > direct
            > > it at

            > > both
            > > differences

            > > rebuild
            > > hardware
            > > set
            > > the
            > > refresh
            > > full
            > > You

            > > finally get

            > > it's the
            > > you
            > > the
            > > > > > >

            > > http://fieldnetworks.com/slim/linkstation.html

            > > my

            > > page

            > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
          • Air Dave
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 9, 2005
              Let me know when you have that done, as I don't want
              to waste your bandwidth if I can help it. You're
              going to do that to version 1.12 as well? Since 1.12
              is only from the Japanese site, is the interface in
              English? Please advise.

              Dave

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • itimpi50
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 9, 2005
                Dave,

                The full downloads are now ZIP versions.

                Both the 1.08 and 1.12 versions are in English. It appears all
                firmware releases are in both languages - and after the update the
                TeraStation remembers what language you had before the update. The
                only component that was not in English was the actual Windows
                firmware updater program - and for that I simply took the one from
                the 1.08 release.

                wrote:
                > Let me know when you have that done, as I don't want
                > to waste your bandwidth if I can help it. You're
                > going to do that to version 1.12 as well? Since 1.12
                > is only from the Japanese site, is the interface in
                > English? Please advise.
                >
                > Dave
                >

                > --- itimpi50 <itimpi50@y...> wrote:
                >
                > > Not sure. I did change the download file at one
                > > point last night so
                > > that could have been the problem. I think this
                > > evening I will
                > > change it to be a ZIP file which is more appropriate
                > > to Windows users
                > > (which you need to be to run the Firmware updater).
                > >
                > > Dave
                > >
                > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Air Dave
                > > <lordboots@y...>
                > > wrote:
                > > > I tried to D/L the file, and it had a problem with
                > > the
                > > > header of it..... It appeared corrupt, and I
                > > never
                > > > have problems with tar-gzip files... Any ideas?
                > > >
                > > > Dave

                > > the
                > > as
                > > get
                > > option!

                > > Air
                > > talked
                > > just

                > > would
                > > dongles,
                > > :~)
                > > do a
                > > got

                > > are
                > > as

                > > any
                > > binary
                > > at
                > > the
                > > firmware
                > > its
                > > hours.

                > > LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com,
                > > if
                > > that
                > > onto

                > > my

                > > of

                > > home

                > > > Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your home
                > > page
                > > > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

                > http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Air Dave
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 10, 2005
                  No dice, I get :
                  The requested URL '/download/tera_112a_full.zip'
                  resolves to a file which is marked executable but is
                  not a CGI file; retrieving it is forbidden.

                  Lemme know when you get the chance to change it.

                  http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                • itimpi50
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 10, 2005
                    Fixed in a moment. One trouble with working from Windows is
                    remebering that Samba is setting the 'x' bit on all files - I might
                    need to change the default mask so that it does not.

                    Always a problem as I cannot test this link from my own system - I
                    cannot get the route back to my system from the internet through my
                    firewall to work when I am already inside it!

                    <lordboots@y...> wrote:
                    > No dice, I get :
                    > The requested URL '/download/tera_112a_full.zip'
                    > resolves to a file which is marked executable but is
                    > not a CGI file; retrieving it is forbidden.
                    >
                    > Lemme know when you get the chance to change it.

                    > --- itimpi50 <itimpi50@y...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > Not sure. I did change the download file at one
                    > > point last night so
                    > > that could have been the problem. I think this
                    > > evening I will
                    > > change it to be a ZIP file which is more appropriate
                    > > to Windows users
                    > > (which you need to be to run the Firmware updater).
                    > >
                    > > Dave
                    > >
                    > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Air Dave
                    > > <lordboots@y...>
                    > > wrote:
                    > > > I tried to D/L the file, and it had a problem with
                    > > the
                    > > > header of it..... It appeared corrupt, and I
                    > > never
                    > > > have problems with tar-gzip files... Any ideas?
                    > > >
                    > > > Dave

                    > > the
                    > > as
                    > > get
                    > > option!

                    > > Air
                    > > talked
                    > > just

                    > > would
                    > > dongles,
                    > > :~)
                    > > do a
                    > > got

                    > > are
                    > > as

                    > > any
                    > > binary
                    > > at
                    > > the
                    > > firmware
                    > > its
                    > > hours.

                    > > LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com,
                    > > if
                    > > that
                    > > onto

                    > > my

                    > > of

                    > > home

                    > > > Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your home
                    > > page
                    > > > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

                    > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                  • Air Dave
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 10, 2005
                      Cool, 403 error gone, downloading now. Thanks.

                      Dave

                      --- itimpi50 <itimpi50@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > internet through my
                      > firewall to work when I am already inside it!
                      >
                      > Dave
                      >
                      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Air Dave
                      >
                      > <lordboots@y...> wrote:
                      > > No dice, I get :
                      > > The requested URL '/download/tera_112a_full.zip'
                      > > resolves to a file which is marked executable but
                      > is
                      > > not a CGI file; retrieving it is forbidden.
                      > >
                      > > Lemme know when you get the chance to change it.

                      > > --- itimpi50 <itimpi50@y...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > Not sure. I did change the download file at
                      > one
                      > > > point last night so
                      > > > that could have been the problem. I think this
                      > > > evening I will
                      > > > change it to be a ZIP file which is more
                      > appropriate
                      > > > to Windows users
                      > > > (which you need to be to run the Firmware

                      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                    • Air Dave
                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 10, 2005
                        Okay, so a stumbling along I go. I got into the
                        Terrastation with the new version 1.12 (thanks Dave).
                        It appears to have a Motorola processor (MIPS?). I
                        found
                        http://fieldnetworks.com/slim/perl-5.8.5-linkstation.tar.gz.
                        , but I think it's for the old PowerPC version of the
                        linkstation.

                        My ultimate goal here, of course is to put the
                        SlimServer onto my Terrastation. I have root now, I
                        guess the next is to see if I can update perl and put
                        the SlimServer code on it. Anybody have the MIPS
                        version of the new perl???

                        Dave

                        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                      • Trevor
                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 10, 2005
                          wrote:
                          > Okay, so a stumbling along I go. I got into the
                          > Terrastation with the new version 1.12 (thanks Dave).
                          > It appears to have a Motorola processor (MIPS?). I

                          The TeraStation has a Motorola PowerPC processor.

                          - Trevor
                        • Air Dave
                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 10, 2005
                            It does! So the perl at
                            http://fieldnetworks.com/slim/perl-5.8.5-linkstation.tar.gz.
                            should work. I'll give it a shot. Thanks for your
                            time.

                            Dave

                            --- Trevor <tman_yahoo@...> wrote:

                            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Air Dave
                            > <lordboots@y...>
                            > wrote:
                            > > Okay, so a stumbling along I go. I got into the
                            > > Terrastation with the new version 1.12 (thanks
                            > Dave).
                            > > It appears to have a Motorola processor (MIPS?).
                            >
                            > The TeraStation has a Motorola PowerPC processor.
                            >
                            > - Trevor

                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                          • Air Dave
                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 11, 2005
                              Have you seen any wierdness with the .12 release? I
                              get a bunch of duplicate file names when I try to make
                              playlists in both the slimserver software and iTunes,
                              but not file copies.... Strange

                              It didn't do it from day one. Any thoughts?

                              Dave

                              http://mail.yahoo.com