Re: LinkStation ----> KUROBOX

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 4, 2005
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "schwab_one"
      <schwab.thomas@m...> wrote:
      > Has anyone successfully turned their new LinkStation into a KUROBOX?
      >
      > See the procedure at this link:

      http://www.kurobox.com/online/tiki-index.php?page=Turn+your+Linkstatio
      n+into+a
      > +Kuro+Box
      >
      > Pros vs Cons?

      I was running the kurobox kernel on my PPC LS for awhile. I run a
      Debian file system on the hard drive. I never got the USB ports to
      work in high speed (2.0) mode, only 1.x mode (12mb/sec). Other than
      that the kernel worked great. I was able to burn CD's with my USB
      CDROM, get IP filtering to work (which then enabled a DHCP server to
      work).

      I think the Kurobox kernel has telnet enabled in "EM" (mini-system in
      flash memory) mode, where as with the Linkstation you can only run the
      software updater in this mode.

      As far as the rest of the Kurobox filesystem, I don't think there is
      any great advantage to it, and you will loose the LS web Interface
      with the Kurobox.
    • Greg Holdren
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 5, 2005
        > As far as the rest of the Kurobox filesystem, I don't think there is
        > any great advantage to it, and you will loose the LS web Interface
        > with the Kurobox.

        How do you loose the LS web interface with the Kuro Box software. Mine has a
        web interface. It looks like it has the same options and functions as the
        stock LS web interface.

        Greg